Google Custom Search Engine & IntelliWebSearch
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:25
Finnish to French
Dec 1, 2014

I just made a video on how to create a Google Custom Search Engine (little-known feature, but can be very useful) and how to integrate it with IntelliWebSearch. It can be accessed on my vlog or on... See more
I just made a video on how to create a Google Custom Search Engine (little-known feature, but can be very useful) and how to integrate it with IntelliWebSearch. It can be accessed on my vlog or on YouTube.Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 14:25
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Thanks for the moving pictures, Guru Dec 1, 2014

I'm glad you mentioned it, because I've been thinking about something similar. I quite often look up something in the Wiki in my source language, and click my target language in the left-hand column to compare both entries. This is often useful, to the point I think I'm not the only one who uses this "trick." Unfortunately, you can't achieve that with the workflow you discussed. I can write something that will search for a word or a term in a document or the SL pane of my CAT tool, and I can als... See more
I'm glad you mentioned it, because I've been thinking about something similar. I quite often look up something in the Wiki in my source language, and click my target language in the left-hand column to compare both entries. This is often useful, to the point I think I'm not the only one who uses this "trick." Unfortunately, you can't achieve that with the workflow you discussed. I can write something that will search for a word or a term in a document or the SL pane of my CAT tool, and I can also automate the clicking in the left-hand column part for the TL entry, but then it starts getting ugly. Literally. I end up with two browser tabs or windows that will force me to resize them or even drag them to get a nice side-by-side view. That also can be scripted, though not by me. Not yet anyway. Before I start learning that, I'd like to know if there isn't an easier solution. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 03:25
Portuguese to English
+ ...
fabulous technique! Dec 2, 2014

So you're the (in)famous CATguru, eh? I follow your YouTube channel and always learn something useful.

This video, however, tops them all -- the technique is brilliant! IntelliWebSearch is the most useful research tool I've ever used, so I'm always looking for ways to expand its capabilities. I only wish there were more more than five sets of links -- I've already filled them all up.

Question: where did you get the codes for the IWS start and finish boxes?
... See more
So you're the (in)famous CATguru, eh? I follow your YouTube channel and always learn something useful.

This video, however, tops them all -- the technique is brilliant! IntelliWebSearch is the most useful research tool I've ever used, so I'm always looking for ways to expand its capabilities. I only wish there were more more than five sets of links -- I've already filled them all up.

I hope you let Mike Farrell, the IWS developer, know about this, it's a saver.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Mike knows Dec 2, 2014

Catherine V. Howard wrote:

I'm not the world-famous CATGuru, but I can refer you to... Mike. His explanation is brilliant, see http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/gb/help.html
It comes down to using the free developers browser Slimbrowser (SlimBoat for OS X).

Cheers,

Hans

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Ask the developer of your CAT tool Dec 2, 2014

Meta Arkadia wrote:
Unfortunately, you can't achieve that with the workflow you discussed. I can write something that will search for a word or a term in a document or the SL pane of my CAT tool, and I can also automate the clicking in the left-hand column part for the TL entry, but then it starts getting ugly.

Your CAT tool (CafeTran) has a web-search feature that works in a similar way as IntelliWebSearch. I see no particular reason why it wouldn't support a Google CSE, now that you know the complete search URL. AFAIK, CT users have been "recycling" searches borrowed from IWS. Have you asked Igor about this?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
IWS Professional? Dec 2, 2014

So you're the (in)famous CATguru, eh?

Yes, that would be me, with my infamous trademark accent
I only wish there were more more than five sets of links -- I've already filled them all up.

It would probably be easy to implement more than five groups in IWS. Maybe Mike Farrell could make a paid version of IWS (IWS "Professional") with such a feature, just like there's a paid version of Translator Tools with a few extra features not found in the free version.

Actually, I no longer remember. I have been using custom search engines for about as long as IWS (started with IWS in 2006, and with CSE in 2007). My guess is Google used to make the search result URL plain visible, but hid it later on. I tried to find it out with the IWS wizard, as well as with SlimBrowser, but neither were able to give it to me. I haven't tried with MultiFultor, which is usually good with this kind of things
I hope you let Mike Farrell, the IWS developer, know about this, it's a saver.

Yes, I mentioned it on the IWS list, so I guess he's seen it.

[Edited at 2014-12-02 07:14 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
SlimBrowser doesn't work with Google CSE Dec 2, 2014

Meta Arkadia wrote:
It comes down to using the free developers browser Slimbrowser (SlimBoat for OS X).

Actually, I did try with SlimBrowser, as mentioned on the IWS list. Unfortunately, it didn't work with this particular search.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Carboxylic acid Dec 2, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Your CAT tool (CafeTran) has a web-search feature that works in a similar way as IntelliWebSearch

I know CafeTran offers that feature, but are you sure that if I search, say, for "Carboxylic acid", it will also return it as "Carbonzuur" in the Dutch Wiki with CSE?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboxylic_acid
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonzuur

If I perform that search in CSE, I get 10 pages of results for "Carboxylic acid" in the English Wiki, and zero for Dutch (which doesn't surprise me).

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Actually, I did try with SlimBrowser, as mentioned on the IWS list. Unfortunately, it didn't work with this particular search.

You're right. It triggers https://www.google.com/cse/setup/basic?search={searchTerms}&bgresponse=
No use, as far as I can see. Sorry, Catherine!

Cheers,

Hans

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 08:25
English to German
Slimbrowser & IWS in 2014? Dec 2, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I tried to find it out with the IWS wizard, as well as with SlimBrowser, but neither were able to give it to me. I haven't tried with MultiFultor, which is usually good with this kind of things

In this respect, the recent Multifultor version 2.0.0.4 is even better than previous versions.

Change the address of your Domipedia search engine from
https://www.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=... to http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=...
and put it into Multifultor's wizard (URL 1). That's all.

Anyway, you should not fiddle with Slimbrowser anymore. For several years any standard browser includes a debugger that is able to log all the data it sends to the net. Just start logging, perform a lookup action, stop logging, then analyze the protocol.
With MS Internet Explorer: hit F12, click Network, then click Start Logging.

It would probably be easy to implement more than five groups in IWS.

I don't think so. IWS is based on an "old" script language that is not well-suited for such changes. Multifultor, on the other hand, is based on C#, a state-of-the-art object-oriented language, that supports variable lists, so there are no limits at all regarding the number of data sources and groups.

Why do you prefer IWS? May be I could make Multifultor even better if I knew what is wanted/needed?
BTW, last week I read that you asked for help because you didn't find IWS's settings file on your PC. With Multifultor there is no need to search for that: Just click "Export configuration file to desktop".

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Network traffic capturing in IE Dec 2, 2014

Rolf Keller wrote:
Anyway, you should not fiddle with Slimbrowser anymore. For several years any standard browser includes a debugger that is able to log all the data it sends to the net. Just start logging, perform a lookup action, stop logging, then analyze the protocol.
With MS Internet Explorer: hit F12, click Network, then click Start Logging.

This is cool! For those who want to try, "network" is the wifi-like icon on the left and "start logging" (labeled "enable network traffic capturing") is the green play button:

I experimented with another CSE of mine and I was indeed able to reveal a URL that contained the search word:

I had to truncate it at the right place, which required some experimenting, but got it to work. Strangely enough, I ended up with strings different from what I had been using so far, but as long as they work, who cares.

Great tip, glad to be able to ditch the now useless SlimBrowser.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
IntelliWebSearch vs. MultiFultor Dec 2, 2014

Rolf Keller wrote:
IWS is based on an "old" script language that is not well-suited for such changes. Multifultor, on the other hand, is based on C#, a state-of-the-art object-oriented language

Frankly, nobody (or hardly anyone) cares what programming language was used for any particular software. Your comment reminds me of the typical condescending attitude of many Déjà Vu users towards Wordfast, derided and belittled as "just" a set of Word macros. Yes, VBA is an outdated scripting language, but how come Wordfast can import a TMX in a minute or so, while DV (allegedly expertly programmed in a better language) will take several hours (if not an entire night) to perform the same task?
Rolf Keller wrote:
Why do you prefer IWS?

Well, it's very simple: IWS floats my boat. It does what it's supposed to do: pass on my searches to the browser of my choice.
Rolf Keller wrote:
May be I could make Multifultor even better if I knew what is wanted/needed?
BTW, last week I read that you asked for help because you didn't find IWS's settings file on your PC. With Multifultor there is no need to search for that: Just click "Export configuration file to desktop".

This was just a technical detail related to my use of IWS in two different accounts (for the purpose of a webinar). The main stuff is stored in search.ini, and I know where it is located.

If you wish to lure existing users away from IWS, you would probably have to design a migrating utility that would automatically convert their existing searches to the MF format. Anyway, I'm not sure it's the best way to attract new users for MF: IWS users make a very tiny portion of the total population of translators and if they have managed to learn how to use IWS, chances are they won't switch easily. You would therefore be better off tapping into the huge pool of translators who do not use anything to automate their searches.

You could also make MF more easily available: why do people have to end up on a long page in German and figure out there's a link to some zip file buried inside? A zip file in 2014? Even IWS has an installer

I also think you should rename MF to something that would actually have a meaning for most people.

All I could find on YouTube about MF is a silent video from two years ago. If you're serious about convincing translators MF is a must for them, then show it to them (or have someone do it for you), with audio. Nobody will stare at a silent video for three minutes, at least not me.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
IntelliWebSearch vs. MultiFultor continued Dec 3, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Frankly, nobody (or hardly anyone) cares what programming language was used for any particular software. Your comment reminds me of the typical condescending attitude

Attitude?? I simply explained to you, why your comment ("it is easy to expand the group feature in IWS") fails to consider the underlying software base. It is not possible to use any "old" programming language for any project, except if one makes cuts on the functionality, the reliability and the ease of maintenance. These points are of interest for end-users because they influence the user's experience & convenience.

Yes, VBA is an outdated scripting language, but how come Wordfast can import a TMX in a minute or so, while DV (allegedly expertly programmed in a better language) will take several hours (if not an entire night) to perform the same task?

Actually, Wordfast Pro is written in Java. Java is absolutely comparable to C# (Multifultor's language). Wordfast's developer surely knows why he made such a costly re-design.

And BTW, VBA is not outdated at all, because one can seamlessly upgrade to a .NET language (VB).

Regarding the meaningfulness of examples: How come that a 5-year-old using a wooden handcart can transport a bag of potatoes faster than an blind adult using a truck? What does this prove about handcarts?

Note: I said "scripting language" because that's the designation the Autohotkey people choosed for their product. You may well name it "programming language", but what's in a name? The functionality regarding a certain task is the sticking point: Autohotkey is not well-suited for things like IWS.

IWS floats my boat. It does what it's supposed to do: pass on my searches to the browser of my choice.

Ok, let me put my question more precisely: In which respect performs IWS better or offers more features than Multifultor (OR vice versa)?

Nobody will stare at a silent video for three minutes, at least not me.

That video was published by a colleague I'm not acquainted with. Actually one doesn't need any video, any user forum or any other help, because Multifultor is chimpanzee-proof.

why do people have to end up on a long page in German and figure out there's a link to some zip file buried inside

Ok, you are right. Now the direct link is in my ProZ profile.

Soyed Alam

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
NEW wine in NEW wineskins Oct 21, 2016

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I also think you should rename MF to something that would actually have a meaning for most people.

Done! I hope the new name will find favour in your eyes.

So, the winner in the Lookup Tools Competition can be found at www.omni-lookup.de

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Custom Search Engine & IntelliWebSearch

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »