Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
New online tool: fast and accurate EU legal corpus search with references.
Thread poster: robinp
robinp
robinp
Hungary
Mar 11, 2019

As my spouse has first-hand experience in legal translation for the EU court, and I a firm grasp in IT, together (with the help of dear friends) we developed Juremy
- https://juremy.com -, an online service for fast bilingual lookup of the EU legal corpus.

So far we have used the service both internally and in a private pilot, with positive feedback on the time and effort it saves for translators.
... See more
As my spouse has first-hand experience in legal translation for the EU court, and I a firm grasp in IT, together (with the help of dear friends) we developed Juremy
- https://juremy.com -, an online service for fast bilingual lookup of the EU legal corpus.

So far we have used the service both internally and in a private pilot, with positive feedback on the time and effort it saves for translators. Since the results prefer exact text match, quick and accompanied by Celex references, in our experience it is a lot handier to use than EurLex search.

The service now runs in free-tier mode, which will always be available, also we plan to expand it with premium functionality.

I'm glad to receive feedback, also please make your voice heard about the languages to add next!

Thanks!
Robin

[Edited at 2019-03-11 13:30 GMT]
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dutch -▶ English? Mar 11, 2019

Hi Robin,

Very interesting!

I would like to ask for Dutch -▶ English, please!

Michael

Deborah do Carmo

Richard Varga (X)
Richard Varga (X)
Slovakia
Local time: 12:38
English to Slovak
+ ...
Linguee Mar 11, 2019

How is this different from Linguee?

Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks a lot ... Mar 11, 2019

... and I hope, this is the right branch to inform as much colleagues as possible. I will definitely give it a try when it comes to translate legal related portions in my jobs.
Another task for you could be to provide a similar tool to look up free patent data bases. Did you ever think about that? But again, thank you for sharing!

Matthias

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Thanks Mar 11, 2019

Could you add EN < MT(Maltese) please? Well done, hope to be able to use for a faster search.

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Dear all, Mar 12, 2019

Dear all,
This was my original message but only part of it is displayed for some reason. I submitted a support request because, when I try to edit, I get the whole message but it somehow cannot be updated with the original message which was: Could you add EN

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Josephine Mar 12, 2019

Josephine Cassar wrote:
This was my original message but only part of it is displayed for some reason.

The reason is rather simple: the system treats some symbols as HTML. It is always better either to completely avoid such symbols in forum posts or at least put additional spaces around them.

Copying here your request that is invisible in the previous posts:

Josephine Cassar wrote:
Could you add EN - MT(Maltese) please?

Natalia

[Edited at 2019-03-12 09:27 GMT]

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Thanks Mar 12, 2019

Natalie wrote:

Josephine Cassar wrote:
This was my original message but only part of it is displayed for some reason.

The reason is rather simple: the system treats some symbols as HTML. It is always better either to completely avoid such symbols in forum posts or at least put additional spaces around them.

Copying here your request that is invisible in the previous posts:

Josephine Cassar wrote:
Could you add EN - MT(Maltese) please?

Natalia

[Edited at 2019-03-12 09:27 GMT]

Dear Natalie,
Thank you very much for seeing to this and posting. It is indeed EN to MT.
Regards,
J. Cassar

robinp
robinp
Hungary
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the feedback so far! Mar 13, 2019

Josephine, Michael - thanks, noted the language pairs.

Matthias - thank you for the kind words. This topic seemed the most relevant on Proz. But if you like the tool and can spread the word among your colleagues, I would be thankful! For now our focus should be making the body of law as comfortable to search as possible, so unfortunately I can't spread us thin on adding other data sources. If we accomplished that goal, let's reconsider...
See more
Josephine, Michael - thanks, noted the language pairs.

Matthias - thank you for the kind words. This topic seemed the most relevant on Proz. But if you like the tool and can spread the word among your colleagues, I would be thankful! For now our focus should be making the body of law as comfortable to search as possible, so unfortunately I can't spread us thin on adding other data sources. If we accomplished that goal, let's reconsider

Richard - good point. Linguee has more data sources already, which is mostly good, but for the tight segment of EU legal translation has some drawbacks. By being more generic they can't serve the focused needs of the niche (about which I'll publish a post the coming day). One specific point is that you don't know their coverage, so if you don't get a hit you can't be if there's none or they just didn't index it. Well, you don't have transparency about that in Juremy either for now, but we'll address that shortly. (By the way, Juremy now only surfaces the top eight matches).

I appreciate any comments, as well as sharing the existence of the service. Thanks again!
Collapse

robinp
robinp
Hungary
TOPIC STARTER
Article describing EU translation usecase Mar 19, 2019

I added on article - https://juremy.com/articles/legal-translation-for-eu - describing the motivation for developing juremy.com. Also a new release with minor UI features: scroll-to-top button, copy Celex number button.

I'm also thinking about providing the DGT-TM data for free; additional data, including newer documents, opinions, and judgments would come in the premium
... See more
I added on article - https://juremy.com/articles/legal-translation-for-eu - describing the motivation for developing juremy.com. Also a new release with minor UI features: scroll-to-top button, copy Celex number button.

I'm also thinking about providing the DGT-TM data for free; additional data, including newer documents, opinions, and judgments would come in the premium edition. I will set up a contact form on the website, but if you are interested in the mean time, please contact me at [email protected].
Collapse

robinp
robinp
Hungary
TOPIC STARTER
New release - added Dutch, Greek, Maltese and Swedish Apr 6, 2019

Josephine, Michael - please have a look at the website, added Dutch and Maltese (in addition to Greek and Swedish).

Would be happy to hear your feedback!

Josephine Cassar

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Cool, thanks! Apr 7, 2019

robinp wrote:

Josephine, Michael - please have a look at the website, added Dutch and Maltese (in addition to Greek and Swedish).

Would be happy to hear your feedback!

Will try it out.

Michael

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Tried it today Apr 9, 2019

Hi Jeremy, I tried it out today for whatever I could not find on IATE and was very glad to find some or most terms, thanks a lot.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Portuguese, but... Apr 9, 2019

… it's a very helpful tool!
It's very similar with a bilingual online concordancer tool I used before: the application displayed all instances of the word or expression in context.
Many thanks, and congratulations

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Robin Apr 10, 2019

robinp wrote:
We developed Juremy - https://juremy.com -, an online service for fast bilingual lookup of the EU legal corpus.

I'm not a legal translator, so I don't know what is considered fast, but I tried your search tool twice now, and both times, it took 13 seconds for it to find "hello". When I add "it's me", it takes another 2 seconds to show the next results, but none of those results contain "hello" (and some of them contain "'s" without "it"), and some of them contain the abbreviations IT and ME. A search for "it's" yields results containing "it's", but a search for "it's me" yields results for "it" and "'s" but not for "it's".

There doesn't seem to be a way to specify exact phrases, or to specify required words, or to specify case. Or the number of matches (always seems to be 8).

Philippe Locquet

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New online tool: fast and accurate EU legal corpus search with references.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »