Is it common for Korean interpreters to work solo in SI setting?
Thread poster: Phoebe Huang
Phoebe Huang
Phoebe Huang
Local time: 22:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 17, 2018

I am currently working as an in-house interpreter (Mandarin-English) for a local operation of a global company. As the company organizes a 2.5 day conference in Asia every year, I always request a second SI interpreter to work with me though there is only one or two delegate on our side who need the service.

However, the Korean operation has being bringing only one interpreter for three years for the whole event.

I consulted my freelancer colleagues and was told by mor
... See more
I am currently working as an in-house interpreter (Mandarin-English) for a local operation of a global company. As the company organizes a 2.5 day conference in Asia every year, I always request a second SI interpreter to work with me though there is only one or two delegate on our side who need the service.

However, the Korean operation has being bringing only one interpreter for three years for the whole event.

I consulted my freelancer colleagues and was told by more than three colleagues that it's quite common to see Korean interpreters performing solo SI in the booth at international conferences. I was quite shocked by the news.

Is the environment in Korea really that bad for professional interpreters?

Also I was challenged this year by my employer "why can't you perform three-day SI like your Korean peer." I am still working on a more sophisticated way to defend my rights. Any suggestion?

I am not writing this post to blame anyone though. I know how difficult it is to say no when it is your job on the line here.
Collapse

Jihee Won
Jihee Won
South Korea
Local time: 23:44
Korean to English
+ ...
My answer: NO. Hell no. Mar 6, 2019

Hello there.
Well, I guess I am one year too late to answer your question, but here it is: No. Hell no.
As a simultaneous interpreter, I have never ever worked on my own.
That said, there have been several clients who have demanded me to work alone, and I have turned all of them down.
All professional interpreters with a master's degree in interpretation and translation in Korea work with a partner. PERIOD.
Those who are willing to take on an offer to work alone.
... See more
Hello there.
Well, I guess I am one year too late to answer your question, but here it is: No. Hell no.
As a simultaneous interpreter, I have never ever worked on my own.
That said, there have been several clients who have demanded me to work alone, and I have turned all of them down.
All professional interpreters with a master's degree in interpretation and translation in Korea work with a partner. PERIOD.
Those who are willing to take on an offer to work alone. Well, it's their choice, but one thing is for sure: they are not providing quality interpreting services. I can guarantee it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it common for Korean interpreters to work solo in SI setting?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »