Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Improve your English by not reaching out
Thread poster: Tom in London
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Ohhh Apr 23, 2021

Thank you for all the other versions and "spinoffs"!

My penchant goes to that chocolate guy... 😍

"Well, it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
Make me feel so good inside
Got to be a chocolate Jesus
Keep me satisfied"

And if you are into water sports, you can also walk with Jesus:

S
... See more
Thank you for all the other versions and "spinoffs"!

My penchant goes to that chocolate guy... 😍

"Well, it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
Make me feel so good inside
Got to be a chocolate Jesus
Keep me satisfied"

And if you are into water sports, you can also walk with Jesus:

Spiritualized - Walking with Jesus - https://youtu.be/VoqAl9ybbTY

That's a guy who likes gospel for the sound of it. Because you gotta have some faith in music 🎶

[Edited at 2021-04-23 22:56 GMT]
Collapse

Baran Keki
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:52
French to English
+ ...
Sorry Mervyn! Apr 23, 2021

I often include it, though sometimes in my haste I don't!

Barbara Carrara

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:52
English to Turkish
To stay on the topic Apr 23, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4hvh5e8-nw
As for Tom Waits and Jesus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6WEy0eH8Xc&ab_channel=TomWaits
The latter happens to be the theme song of the best TV series ever made (well at least in my opinion).

Jean Dimitriadis
Barbara Carrara
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Jesus, Baran! Apr 23, 2021

I concur about the Wire!

And love that comedy duo.

Baran Keki
Barbara Carrara
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jocelin Apr 24, 2021

I think it was French translator Jocelin (can't just place the surname now, sorry) who made me laugh all day long a few months ago with his comment about a customer who had said some nonsense like that, "I felt like reaching into my computer and punching him". Which is a kind of reaching out, too.

Like Tom, and everybody else, I'm sure, every time I read that or hear it, I have this mental image of someone reaching out their hand desperately or determinedly or hopefully or something
... See more
I think it was French translator Jocelin (can't just place the surname now, sorry) who made me laugh all day long a few months ago with his comment about a customer who had said some nonsense like that, "I felt like reaching into my computer and punching him". Which is a kind of reaching out, too.

Like Tom, and everybody else, I'm sure, every time I read that or hear it, I have this mental image of someone reaching out their hand desperately or determinedly or hopefully or somethingly.
Collapse

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Barbara Carrara
Jennifer White
Philip Lees

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Australian English Apr 26, 2021

To be fair to the author, it is important to note that she is an Australian writer. As such, the use of 'anymore' as a single word is an acceptable practice when it is used as an adverb to mean ‘any... See more
To be fair to the author, it is important to note that she is an Australian writer. As such, the use of 'anymore' as a single word is an acceptable practice when it is used as an adverb to mean ‘any longer’ (referring to a period of time): https://proofreadmydocument.com.au/writing-tips/word-choice-any-more-vs-anymore/#:~:text=Writing%20'anymore'%20as%20a%20single,about%20a%20period%20of%20time.

[Edited at 2021-04-26 08:15 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just received this email from an agency Apr 26, 2021

"Thanks for reaching out. This project has already been assigned. Looking forward to working with you in the future."

Barbara Carrara

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Apr 26, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

"Thanks for reaching out. This project has already been assigned. Looking forward to working with you in the future."

What's your problem with this expression though Tom? that it's new? I mean, we've had "outreach initiatives" for ages - as an euphemism for proselytising, admittedly, when used by churches, but NGOs also do outreach when seeking donors and raising awareness. Of course the PM could have said "thanks for contacting us", but the fact that there are many ways of saying things is one of the beauties of translation, and the reason why we humans are still needed to perform a decent job.

I see there's been some musical merriment, of which we can't get enough, and mockery of other expressions such as "thinking outside the box".
I have been chuckling for years about how, after reading Death Sentence, about the decay of corporate language https://www.penguin.com.au/books/death-sentence-9780143790983 , I decided to include as many as possible of these expressions of decay in my business translations. It started out as a little joke... but then I started getting wonderful compliments about the genuinely "corporate feel" to my work. Make of that what you will!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Because Apr 26, 2021

Kay Denney wrote:
..... I started getting wonderful compliments about the genuinely "corporate feel" to my work.

You must have terrible clients if they think bad English is good English!

Kay Denney
France
French to English
. Apr 26, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Kay Denney wrote:
..... I started getting wonderful compliments about the genuinely "corporate feel" to my work.

My clients are all absolutely wonderful, they're just not native English speakers. I don't think they should be denigrated for not being able to recognise the difference between clear prose and corporate fudging bla-bla. It does make me chuckle in private, sure, but in the same spirit as when my in-laws laugh at my attempts to speak their language: it's not meant to be hurtful, it's just that it sounds funny. So calling them terrible is absolutely not called for, thank you.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Sarah Maidstone

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
So, when the lights go out... Apr 26, 2021

...I shall be reaching out, moving forward.

Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Does this mean... Apr 26, 2021

... it’s bad English to call someone on the phone or write to them by email, when we are not literally calling or writing?

Are all euphemisms and turns of phrase out? Should we cancel Shakespeare?

Where does this censorship of New English end?

It’s all very personal, and our job is to gauge what is best for our client. I will happily split an infinitive for most of mine these days.

And what ever happened to whom?

Zibow Retailleau
Becca Resnik
P.L.F. Persio
Tony Keily

Kay Denney
France
French to English
. Apr 26, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Kay Denney wrote:

Also, if I'm translating stuff written by a French subsidiary of a firm with its head office in an English-speaking country, I absolutely should use corporate speak, it's what the people at the head office will expect. They write like that themselves. I'm not here to turn French corporate bla-bla into poetic English, I need to stick to the same style of writing, right?

P.L.F. Persio
Sarah Maidstone
Tony Keily

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improve your English by not reaching out

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »