Problems with freezing and crashing when checking out and working on projects from customer's server
Thread poster: Mark Harris
Mark Harris
Mark Harris
France
Local time: 18:23
French to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2021

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone may have had a similar issue and be able to shed some light. I only ever have to use MemoQ for one particular customer who requires it and until recently I was using the online version, with no real issues. However, they have now specified that I use the offline version of the software, for a number of reasons. However, I am having serious problems checking out and working on projects through the software (version 9.6). First of all checking out a project
... See more
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone may have had a similar issue and be able to shed some light. I only ever have to use MemoQ for one particular customer who requires it and until recently I was using the online version, with no real issues. However, they have now specified that I use the offline version of the software, for a number of reasons. However, I am having serious problems checking out and working on projects through the software (version 9.6). First of all checking out a project from the customer's server takes several minutes, then several more minutes to open it, and once I finally manage to get into the project it freezes EVERY TIME I confirm a segment, for at least 5 minutes. Obviously this makes it completely unusable. Has anyone ever had a similar issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Collapse

Eric Azevedo
Takuo Yasuda

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Work offline Feb 26, 2021

Hi Mark,

Off the top of my head, have you tried choosing "Manual Synchronization" in Documents->Synchronization Behaviour? It means you have to synchronize manually by clicking on the button but it prevents having to connect to the server each time you confirm a segment.

Kate

Mark Harris
Mark Harris
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried that Feb 26, 2021

Thanks for the suggestion but I actually tried that already as I thought it might be the issue, but it hasn't helped. I've raised a support request with MemoQ to see if they can get to the bottom of it. It's driving me crazy because even a tiny translation project will take ages to complete at the moment.

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:23
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Version compatibility Feb 27, 2021

I suggest checking if their server's version is lower than your memoQ version.
I had similar problems with a client's server once, until I downgraded my memoQ to their server's version.

[Edited at 2021-02-27 14:31 GMT]

Mark Harris
Mark Harris
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting suggestion Feb 28, 2021

Oh really? As in I'm working with version 9.6 but they might be working with version 9.1, for example? I do find it unlikely that they don't keep their version of the software up to date to be honest, but it can't hurt to ask.

Recep Kurt wrote:

I suggest checking if their server's version is lower than your memoQ version.
I had similar problems with a client's server once, until I downgraded my memoQ to their server's version.

[Edited at 2021-02-27 14:31 GMT]

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:23
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Difference Mar 1, 2021

In my case the difference was substantial - they were using the 2015 version...

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:23
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
That's not the way it works for larger companies Mar 1, 2021

Mark Harris wrote:
I do find it unlikely that they don't keep their version of the software up to date to be honest, but it can't hurt to ask.

Not necessarily that unlikely, Mark. I don't know how large this organisation is, but my experience is that the bigger they are, the slower they are to upgrade, and rightly so. If you have an office of two people, going up a version number isn't such an issue. If you're talking about servicing 200 users scattered round the globe, you have to be a bit circumspect.

I certainly upgrade my version of Studio more quickly than my clients.

Dan

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Crash time and time again Mar 12, 2021

Hello,

I have a slightly diferent problem...After I close memoq, having worked on a project from a client's server, the next time I open memoq and try to open that project I get error messages one after another, indefinitelly, untill I have to kill the process in Task Manager, and once memoq is open again I must delete that project and check out from server again, before I do any more work on it.

It hapens with both my clients who require me to work this way. I am using
... See more
Hello,

I have a slightly diferent problem...After I close memoq, having worked on a project from a client's server, the next time I open memoq and try to open that project I get error messages one after another, indefinitelly, untill I have to kill the process in Task Manager, and once memoq is open again I must delete that project and check out from server again, before I do any more work on it.

It hapens with both my clients who require me to work this way. I am using version 9.4, have tried installing version 9.5 and didn't change anything, besides uninstalling and reinstalling memoq several times.

Please tell me someone else has had this problem before, and found a way to solve it.

Thank you!
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Synch is oddly bandwidth-hungry Mar 28, 2021

For example, my home wifi is perfectly good for streaming HD video on multiple devices... but when listening to Pandora while working in MemoQ, I have found that I need to use my phone's 4G LTE for streaming music to avoid lag in MemoQ.

And no, I don't mean from the computer. The lag also occurs if the PHONE streaming the music is on the same wifi as my MemoQ laptop.

Strange but true

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with freezing and crashing when checking out and working on projects from customer's server

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »