MemoQ occasionally sluggish after confirming segment
Thread poster: Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 20:43
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Mar 4, 2021

With MemoQ being IMHO a generally sluggish software (maybe it's my 4GB / i5 Surface Pro 2017, but Studio works way better on the same board), the particularly annoying phenomenon of recent, probably attributable to some of the recent updates (noticed how software these days gets worse and worse with every update?) is the program occasionally confirming a segment for even up to 10 seconds. This happens several times an hour and is really detrimental to workflow. The problem is both with local and... See more
With MemoQ being IMHO a generally sluggish software (maybe it's my 4GB / i5 Surface Pro 2017, but Studio works way better on the same board), the particularly annoying phenomenon of recent, probably attributable to some of the recent updates (noticed how software these days gets worse and worse with every update?) is the program occasionally confirming a segment for even up to 10 seconds. This happens several times an hour and is really detrimental to workflow. The problem is both with local and server projects, no difference here. It looks like it is slow with updating the TM, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions/experience?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Works fine! A Surface not the ideal machine as the main resource... Mar 4, 2021

Personally I think a Surface is not the ideal machine to work with memoQ on a daily basis with larger TMs or larger files. Although memoQ is not as process-intensive as other tools since it does not make big amounts of calculations, it does handle a lot of information via SQL and, if the memory is large, it will put a heavy demand upon the machine.

Personally, I think a Surface (with a Intel I5-7300 processor if I am not mistaken), it is very much on the low side of performance. I w
... See more
Personally I think a Surface is not the ideal machine to work with memoQ on a daily basis with larger TMs or larger files. Although memoQ is not as process-intensive as other tools since it does not make big amounts of calculations, it does handle a lot of information via SQL and, if the memory is large, it will put a heavy demand upon the machine.

Personally, I think a Surface (with a Intel I5-7300 processor if I am not mistaken), it is very much on the low side of performance. I would recommend at least 8 GB of memory on one hand, but also a better processor. In my main machine, I use an i9-9900K with 32 GB of memory and memoQ generally flies with big memories and big files with many thousands of segments.

In any case, if this is a persistent problem, it might make sense to explain the problem to memoQ's Support people and see what can be done without changing machines.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Local and server? Mar 4, 2021

Ekhangel wrote:
The problem is both with local and server projects, no difference here. It looks like it is slow with updating the TM, but I'm not sure.

I would understand if server-based projects take longer to confirm and process since you depend on a very high number of factors, the main one being your own Internet connection (maybe a wi-fi; if so, try using a cable to your router) and your client's server setup, which could be not ideal (also for a high number of factors).

What does not make much sense is that a fully local project (one that has no ties to any resources outside your computer) would take up to 10 seconds to update. One has to wonder whether putting both local and server-based projects in the same pot when discussing throughput/latency is not quite correct. It pays to analyse what you are using exactly when this problem appears and try to establish the cause with that information.

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for input Mar 4, 2021

Sure, hardware is always the easiest to put the blame on, especially when talking to software devs (not implying you are one), but what if the problem had not existed until some months ago... I've been working with MemoQ for about 3 years now - on the same PC. Maybe it's the MT that grew up excessively over time? Would have to test that. But why do the freezes occur "only" several / over a dozen times an hour?

And yes, I'm planning on parting with Surface anyway.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
More thoughts Mar 4, 2021

Ekhangel wrote:
Sure, hardware is always the easiest to put the blame on...

I know, I know. My stance on this is that hardware is the first thing to discard (not so much "blame") when these things happen. I don't know what type of hard disk is used in Surface machines, but of course it also has an influence if you work with large files. Defragmenting is often a good idea if the machine has been in use for a number of years.

Ekhangel wrote:
Maybe it's the TM that grew up excessively over time?

This can happen, but memoQ should not lose much performance unless the TM contains hundreds of thousands of segments. Over here I have TMs with 500,000 segments and they react quite OK. It does make sense to check how many segments your TM has, and maybe re-create it (export, delete, re-create and import; you also have a Repair function for the TMs in memoQ which should simply this). If your main TM contains more than 100,000 segments, it might pay to re-create it every now and then until you have a more capable machine? If you defragment after this process, it might help too. This way, you will ensure that the database indices are not split in very many different pieces, which always slows down any operation (larger TM = larger indices to maintain).

As for an increasing "sluggishness" in memoQ, I have not experienced it, very honestly. I use memoQ (also memoQ Server) since 2009 with four people working simultaneously with the same resources all the time and performance/reliability have been quite good all over this time.

[Edited at 2021-03-04 10:27 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:43
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Memory Mar 4, 2021

I agree with Tomás - 4GB is not much. I have used Studio on a 16GB Surface Pro i7, and it was fine. I am currently using it on a desktop with an i3 6100 and 16GB, and that is also fine, no different to the surface.

But don't think you can add memory to a Surface? SD card, yes, but not RAM.

Dan

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Mar 4, 2021

Yes, Surface is non-upgradeable, alas. Either way, I feel the problem's got something to do with the overall Surface environment (Windows build, conflicting drivers maybe), since the problem has now disappeared as I'm typing this after undocking Surface from the original Surface Dock.

This Surface thing is generally a huge pain in the you-know-what and I definitely recommend against it for any professional applications whatsoever... I wouldn't buy it for your kids' youtubing either,
... See more
Yes, Surface is non-upgradeable, alas. Either way, I feel the problem's got something to do with the overall Surface environment (Windows build, conflicting drivers maybe), since the problem has now disappeared as I'm typing this after undocking Surface from the original Surface Dock.

This Surface thing is generally a huge pain in the you-know-what and I definitely recommend against it for any professional applications whatsoever... I wouldn't buy it for your kids' youtubing either, for that matter.

Still, not to wander off topic - MemoQ surely plays its part with its optimisation problems too, since SDL Studio runs much smoother in all tasks.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:43
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I was a fan, past tense Mar 7, 2021

Ekhangel wrote:
This Surface thing is generally a huge pain in the you-know-what and I definitely recommend against it for any professional applications whatsoever...

I used a Surface Pro for two and a half years as my main system and it worked very well, with none of the problems you encountered. The only reason I'm not still using it is that the battery began to fail, causing it to swell and forcing the two halves of the shell apart. That also put pressure on the touch screen, causing phantom touches to occur.

I looked into having the entire thing replaced, but the consensus was that even when the hardware fails Microsoft will not replace it, and only offers you a small discount on a new machine. I looked into having it repaired, but found that it would cost a couple of hundred pounds. Even worse, nobody would offer a guarantee that the repair would be successful, because the high-end i7 Surface Pro are even more difficult than their siblings to disassemble and put back together without some kind of damage. You could easily pay £200 and still not have a working machine at the end of it.

My conclusion was that I could get another secondhand but hardly used ex-corporate PC for the cost of repairing the Surface, and that's what I did. So, yes, for professional use, unless you are prepared to buy a new one every couple of years, I would avoid the Surface or indeed any other highly integrated (i.e. impossible to repair) device. Having said that, my wife still uses a Surface Go, and it's been a nice little machine.

If I buy another laptop for work I'll probably go back to a Thinkpad, where at least most of the parts are replaceable by the user. I'm thinking the forthcoming 9th generation X1 Thinkpad is looking good, especially as they seem to have decided to resolve the issue of poor performance caused by thermal throttling.

Dan

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Mar 8, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:
the battery began to fail, causing it to swell and forcing the two halves of the shell apart. That also put pressure on the touch screen, causing phantom touches to occur.

Great story for a 2,5 years-old $1000+ device! Hope you're not recommending it to your friends.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Your surface is a beast compared to other hardware latest memoQ runs fine on Apr 1, 2021

MemoQ 9.6 plus a gazillion tabs in browser and 20+ open word documents run fine on a 4th Gen i5 from, like, 7-8 years ago.

It isn't your memory or your processor, it is your internet.
For whatever reason, memoQ is a bandwidth hog, and the way it is programmed is it does whatever it does WHEN YOU CONFIRM A SEGMENT.

I actually end up running streaming music with wifi off via 4G LTE from my phone while working, because otherwise memoQ lags noticeably on segment conf
... See more
MemoQ 9.6 plus a gazillion tabs in browser and 20+ open word documents run fine on a 4th Gen i5 from, like, 7-8 years ago.

For whatever reason, memoQ is a bandwidth hog, and the way it is programmed is it does whatever it does WHEN YOU CONFIRM A SEGMENT.

I actually end up running streaming music with wifi off via 4G LTE from my phone while working, because otherwise memoQ lags noticeably on segment confirmation. Yes, versus running same wifi on a different device like said phone.

If you have family members watching streaming video, kick them off or upgrade your ISP.
Collapse

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, but Apr 21, 2021

Adieu wrote:

I actually end up running streaming music with wifi off via 4G LTE from my phone while working, because otherwise memoQ lags noticeably on segment confirmation. Yes, versus running same wifi on a different device like said phone.

If you have family members watching streaming video, kick them off or upgrade your ISP.

I do believe what you're saying is correct, but the problem is that the lags occur in offline projects / online projects with disabled synchronisation (I always disable it because the lag is significant).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ occasionally sluggish after confirming segment

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »