Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 25, 2019

Hello

Is there a guide somewhere for server-side users on how to replace the entire glossary with a new one?

I know that client-side translators can add/edit terms of the glossary in MemSource itself (via the web-based system and/or via the offline MemSource Editor), but in a project that I've been working on, about half of the translators did not use MemSource at all, and so the translators maintained a glossary in Excel format offline. We kept the Excel glossary up t
... See more
Hello

Is there a guide somewhere for server-side users on how to replace the entire glossary with a new one?

I know that client-side translators can add/edit terms of the glossary in MemSource itself (via the web-based system and/or via the offline MemSource Editor), but in a project that I've been working on, about half of the translators did not use MemSource at all, and so the translators maintained a glossary in Excel format offline. We kept the Excel glossary up to date in terms of our discussions (e.g. deleted terms that we don't want to be in the glossary, added new terms, and edited terms -- sometimes the source text, sometimes the target text, sometimes both).

But we also wanted the latest terms to be in MemSource, for the translators who used MemSource itself. So we regularly sent the updated glossary to the PM to update on the server, thinking that she could simply delete the old version and upload the new version, but it didn't work that way: instead, the MemSource server retained all the old terms and simply added new terms. In other words, terms whose target text were changed in Excel were changed on the server, but terms that we deleted in Excel, didn't get deleted on the server, and terms whose source text were edited in Excel got added as new terms (while retaining the old versions as separate terms). I understand what happened -- the PM merged the updated glossary with the existing terms, and she should have replaced them.

So, is there a guide somewhere on how to do this (assuming this is possible and/or relatively straight-forward)?

Tis a pity the translators (or one of the translators) couldn't get glossary delete-and-upload rights so that the translators could just keep the glossary up to date without having to wait for the PM to do it.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

David Kis
David Kis
Hungary
How to import a new version of a glossary Mar 26, 2019

Hi Samuel,

I think this is what you are looking for https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003681851-Term-Bases#Update_Terminology_1

Let me know if you have any further questions on TB management.

Regards,

David

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@David Mar 26, 2019

David Kis wrote:
I think this is what you are looking for:
https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003681851-Term-Bases#Update_Terminology_1

Okay... so I suppose the best thing to do would be to first export the existing glossary, then flag all entries for deletion in the Excel file, then "update" it on the server, and then finally upload the new glossary. If the TB is not tied to more than one language, I suppose another option would be to delete the TB and simply create a new one using the new Excel file. I'm not sure what happens (or what are the options) if the TB is tied to more than one language. Anyway, not my problem.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to import a new version of a glossary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »