Márcia Francisco
Márcia Francisco
Portugal
Local time: 12:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 6, 2020

Hi!

I was asked to do a verbal translation from English to Portuguese. My long-term client says the file is one hour long and it is a one-time thing. However, I have never done a verbal translation and it is a new field for me. I always do my rates according to page or number of words and I usually follow the ProZ rates. But, for this type of service, I do not know how much to ask.

Anybody has experience in this matter or knows a table/chart I can follow, please?
... See more
Hi!

I was asked to do a verbal translation from English to Portuguese. My long-term client says the file is one hour long and it is a one-time thing. However, I have never done a verbal translation and it is a new field for me. I always do my rates according to page or number of words and I usually follow the ProZ rates. But, for this type of service, I do not know how much to ask.

Anybody has experience in this matter or knows a table/chart I can follow, please?

Thank you so much!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What exactly are you being asked for? Jun 6, 2020

I personally need more information. I need to know exactly what steps you're going to need to go through to come up with the deliverable. And I need to know exactly what format that deliverable needs to be in and what the intended use is.

I probably still won't be able to help much . But I think we all need to know what it is you've been asked to do.

Is it simply that someone who can't read text (for what
... See more
I personally need more information. I need to know exactly what steps you're going to need to go through to come up with the deliverable. And I need to know exactly what format that deliverable needs to be in and what the intended use is.

I probably still won't be able to help much . But I think we all need to know what it is you've been asked to do.

Is it simply that someone who can't read text (for whatever reason) needs a translation? Are you recording a voiceover, with the superb quality required for that? Or something else?
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 08:42
Romanian to English
+ ...
sight translation? Jun 6, 2020

In the US when interpreting in court, sometimes I am asked to sight-translate a short document. My fee is the same as for court interpreting.

I don't know if this answers your question

Eliza Filimon
Eliza Filimon
Romania
Local time: 14:42
Romanian to English
+ ...
More info, please Jun 7, 2020

Are you asked to do simultaneous interpreting? Or translate and record?

Márcia Francisco
Márcia Francisco
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer Jun 7, 2020

I am still trying to understand the customer's request, but I believe it is a transcription - translation - and then audio recording.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
What do you mean? Jun 7, 2020

What do you mean? Are you going to receive written material and read out (or record) the translation? In this case I would charge by word of the original material. Or maybe the material is recorded? The best thing then would be to ask them to transcribe it for you (or you to do it as an additional service) and then translate verbally from the written document.

Inter-Tra
Inter-Tra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:42
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sight translation Jun 7, 2020

It means that first and if possible

you have to read the text.

Then you have to search for the unknown terms first (if time is given to you).

However, 'translating by reading' is not a task for everybody.

I personally love it, becasue the rendition is equally to 100%.

Practically, you translate and interpret at the same time.
<
... See more
It means that first and if possible

you have to read the text.

Then you have to search for the unknown terms first (if time is given to you).

However, 'translating by reading' is not a task for everybody.

I personally love it, becasue the rendition is equally to 100%.

Practically, you translate and interpret at the same time.

Clients save time and money.

https://translationexcellence.com/sight-translation-pros-cons/

Best Regards.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Error message Jun 8, 2020

Just to let you know that when I click on 'See More' I get an error message.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

[Edited at 2020-06-08 11:30 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Verbal translation rates

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »