Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When working, I'm more productive if I'm listening to...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Maria Silvestri
Maria Silvestri  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Not total silence, but... Aug 6, 2020

I live on a busy road, and I find that the white noise from the traffic is usually a good accompaniment to my work.

Everything else is too distracting, though if I'm doing something extremely repetitive and boring, I may put a sitcom I've watched a thousand times on in the background - but not usually.

Dan Lucas

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 22:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Stomach growling Aug 6, 2020

As soon as it presents itself, it's time to stop interacting with the computer and switch to the fridge.

I really thought that years ago I was just kidding, maybe not so successfully:

https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/88430-poll_subjects_we_have_been_missing_so_far.html

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:46
French to English
Nothing Aug 6, 2020

If the text is interesting, I don't need any additional entertainment. If the text is not interesting, anything I listen to is likely to distract me from the task in hand.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Muriel Vasconcellos
Tom in London
Dan Lucas

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:46
German to English
+ ...
no music at all Aug 7, 2020

(Wasn't this asked before?)

Muriel Vasconcellos
Tom in London
Dan Lucas

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:46
German to English
+ ...
Music most of the time Aug 7, 2020

Music with lyrics doesn't worry me while I'm translating but I need instrumental music at a low speed and volume for proofreading

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
It's only conversation Aug 7, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

When working, I'm more productive if I'm listening to complete silence. I shall now await a long, pointless series of posts telling us all what kind of music they listen to.

[Edited at 2020-08-06 12:45 GMT]

It's only conversation. Don't read if you don't want to.

VictoriaV

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Good- Aug 7, 2020

Good- that seems to have killed what could have been an endlessly boring "discussion".

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Silence if I could Aug 7, 2020

I prefer silence, but as I suffer from tinnitus, silence is rarely available. As I use dictation software when translating, music would probably cause errors as well as it being really annoying to dictate over music. If music is worth listening to it shouldn't be used as muzak, and if it isn't worth listening to then silence is better. Concentrating on translation and the sound of my own voice dictating tend to both blot out most of the tinnitus.

I live near a fast-flowing river so,
... See more
I prefer silence, but as I suffer from tinnitus, silence is rarely available. As I use dictation software when translating, music would probably cause errors as well as it being really annoying to dictate over music. If music is worth listening to it shouldn't be used as muzak, and if it isn't worth listening to then silence is better. Concentrating on translation and the sound of my own voice dictating tend to both blot out most of the tinnitus.

I live near a fast-flowing river so, when the weather allows me to work with the windows open and especially after heavy rain, the sound of the river is a pleasant and unobtrusive background noise. Bird song is good as well. As the windows are all closed now to keep the heat out, the sound of my fan is quite soothing.
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Felipe Tomasi
Felipe Tomasi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Instrumental music Aug 17, 2020

I enjoy listening to Mozart and Vivaldi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnCCH3NcwiY

DZiW (X)

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Instrumental music and Flashback Aug 17, 2020

I enjoy listening to Instrumental music and Flashback to relax a bit.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When working, I'm more productive if I'm listening to...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »