Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When working, I'm more productive if I'm listening to...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 6, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When working, I'm more productive if I'm listening to...".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No music at all Aug 6, 2020

Usually, I don’t listen to music while working as it totally distracts me and interferes with my ability to focus on my work, but recently I've found myself listening to a lot of piano music just because I miss my mother terribly (she died last year at the very respectable age of 105) and she was a piano player. Funny enough, when I was young her playing used to annoy me when I wanted to study. Life goes around in circles...

neilmac
expressisverbis
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:00
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
The sound of silence Aug 6, 2020

... and I am not talking about the song.

svetlana cosquéric
Tom in London
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Muriel Vasconcellos
Zibow Retailleau
B D Finch

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Instrumental music Aug 6, 2020

I usually prefer to have some sort of background noise while translating. Most of the time, I have BBC 6 music on, but sometimes the presenters prattle on too much and I have to either switch off or change to a station with less blather. And there are news bulletins almost every half hour throughout the day, which can end up irritating as well. Sometimes no news is good news

And I find instrumental music less intrusiv
... See more
I usually prefer to have some sort of background noise while translating. Most of the time, I have BBC 6 music on, but sometimes the presenters prattle on too much and I have to either switch off or change to a station with less blather. And there are news bulletins almost every half hour throughout the day, which can end up irritating as well. Sometimes no news is good news

And I find instrumental music less intrusive than music with lyrics. I use an online app called Radio Garden that allows you to tune into radio stations from all over the world free of charge, so it's easy to find something that suits you at any given time.

Occasionally, I may prefer to work on some texts in silence, but sometimes after a while the silence becomes oppressive and creepy and more of a distraction. I suppose it's a case of horses for courses, whatever floats your boat.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Joana Neves
chaltu senbeto
Aline Amorim
Mario Freitas
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Elena Feriani

Bruno Veilleux
Bruno Veilleux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:00
English to French
Other: either type of music Aug 6, 2020

I translate with either type of music. When the lyrics do distract me, either it’s a welcome distraction or I skip to the next song. I can barely get any work done with actual talking around me though, be it TV or people.

For review and proofreading, I do tend to favour instrumentals, however.

Mario Freitas
Sundar Gopalakrishnan

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Instrumental Aug 6, 2020

Usually flute or gentle drums at a low volume. It's not only calming, but also inspiring.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:00
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Silence Aug 6, 2020

When working, I'm more productive if I'm listening to complete silence. I shall now await a long, pointless series of posts telling us all what kind of music they listen to.

[Edited at 2020-08-06 12:45 GMT]

svetlana cosquéric
Robert Rietvelt
Muriel Vasconcellos
B D Finch

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:00
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nothing Aug 6, 2020

...but that bores me quickly, so I usually listen to something.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:00
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Music all th time Aug 6, 2020

I have Jazz playing all the time in the background, most without lyrics. When I lsten other type of music, say soft rock or pop, lyrics distract me a lot and my mood is different. Jazz is quite neutral to me in regards to working.

Mario Freitas
Sundar Gopalakrishnan

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
How many times has this already been asked? Aug 6, 2020

I think it's time to dream up new poll discussion topics

Thayenga
Mario Freitas
Robert Rietvelt
Tom in London
Philip Lees
Rachel Fell

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Instrumental music Aug 6, 2020

I learned with a colleague and sometimes I work with Music with lyrics.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:00
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
OK, let's answer again (fourth time?) Aug 6, 2020

Either with or without lyrics, as long as there is music.

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 19:30
English to Tamil
+ ...
Film songs with lyrics! Aug 6, 2020

While translating, I listen to film songs with lyrics. Music is not a distraction. Actually it inspires me to do translations faster and without any flaws. I love all types of music, western, Carnatic, Hindustani, folk, etc. But while working I prefer film songs only. I listen to Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Hindi and Bengali film songs.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
All or nothing Aug 6, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
I shall now await a long, pointless series of posts telling us all what kind of music they listen to.

It’s very tempting to add such a post when someone is being so dismissive, but I actually work in silence.

I couldn't have music on without actively listening to it. Maybe it’s because I’m a musician?

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees

Kaisa I
Kaisa I  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:00
English to Finnish
+ ...
My work is impossible with music on Aug 6, 2020

As an audiovisual translator, I listen to my source material. If it happens to have music, then I listen to that.

Jan Truper
Elías Sauza

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When working, I'm more productive if I'm listening to...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »