Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What best describes translation for you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:04
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Was that me? Apr 7, 2021

Hi.

To all those who believe that the question and the options are weird, I agree! I can't even remember when I sent this poll to be approved by ProZ. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago? Also, the answers have been totally modified and written in a strange way. Extra information was added. The wording makes the poll confusing, and I'm not responsible for this. Apologies!

Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Becca Resnik
Edith van der Have
Katya Kesten
Zibow Retailleau
Muriel Vasconcellos

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:04
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It's a number of things. Apr 7, 2021

It's a passion and a way to generate income. Consequently, I do care about the income it brings me, but only to a certain degree. This doesn't mean that I would accept underpaid jobs, though.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Becca Resnik

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:04
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's the best choice, for sure Apr 8, 2021

I've tried three different careers in my life, two of which in-house and one as a freelancer. It took me 20 years to find out that working in a company only makes someone else rich, and all your career dreams are pure illusion.
It took me 4 years to learn that teaching is a pleasure, but only for students who really wish to learn.
But it took me only a few months to find out how being a freelance translator is incomparably better than any other choices, and to regret the previous 2
... See more
I've tried three different careers in my life, two of which in-house and one as a freelancer. It took me 20 years to find out that working in a company only makes someone else rich, and all your career dreams are pure illusion.
It took me 4 years to learn that teaching is a pleasure, but only for students who really wish to learn.
But it took me only a few months to find out how being a freelance translator is incomparably better than any other choices, and to regret the previous 20 years, when I insisted on a traditional career instead of becoming a full-time translator.
Better late than never. But I can guarantee you no one in this planet will take me back to an in-house job... ever.

[Edited at 2021-04-08 01:57 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Cristina Heraud-van Tol

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Let's separate definitions Apr 8, 2021

Passion, a word flung around so much that its effect is now highly numbing, would be something you would do without being paid. Would you be doing translation if you weren't being paid?

I had to laugh as someone said it is drudgery, sometimes that it my feeling too. However, translation has paid my bills and more since graduating, but it is very much a job for me which I am very good at, and I certainly would not be translating novels in my spare time as a hobby. I would have done t
... See more
Passion, a word flung around so much that its effect is now highly numbing, would be something you would do without being paid. Would you be doing translation if you weren't being paid?

I had to laugh as someone said it is drudgery, sometimes that it my feeling too. However, translation has paid my bills and more since graduating, but it is very much a job for me which I am very good at, and I certainly would not be translating novels in my spare time as a hobby. I would have done this 20 years ago, not now.

A passion is something that is an essential part of one's being; without it, you would shrink a little and not be as resplendent as before. I am "passionate" about languages, human communication and connectedness, not about translation. I assume that people who have stated that translation is a passion feel similarly. Indeed, I am shifting my current income sources to one day reduce the amount of translation I do, then maybe I could focus on the beauty of learning another language again.

Happy translating passionately,

Paul
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Liena Vijupe
Gerard Barry
Christine Andersen

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
A mixed bag Apr 8, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:
Mind-numbing drudgery... sorry but that's how I feel.

Lol.

Some days, I agree. I just think of the money.

Other days, I disagree. The text is interesting and I relish the challenge of improving it.

I agree with Paul about the passion thing. Passion is best reserved for hobbies and shagging.

I’m very good at translating (modest too) and freelancing has its advantages, but it’s not something I would choose if I had my time again. I would much rather do something useful, like curing illnesses or inventing stuff.

The solitary nature of the job has also become pretty unbearable during all the lockdowns. I would prefer the camaraderie of stacking shelves in a supermarket, but I can’t afford the financial hit just yet.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Paul Adie (X)
Hauke Christian
Gerard Barry
Michael Harris

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Numb mind Apr 8, 2021

Surprisingly I have to agree, again, with Gerard, but hopefully I don't have to explain away the first word in this sentence again.

Passion, as Chris says, can be safely reserved for mountain biking and ironing boarding.

I used to have a passion for it, I know I did, but now that everyone and their dog can translate, even though it often ends up much like what their dog does on pavements, barrowloads of turd to be polished up a little, I now mostly trudge through the dr
... See more
Surprisingly I have to agree, again, with Gerard, but hopefully I don't have to explain away the first word in this sentence again.

Passion, as Chris says, can be safely reserved for mountain biking and ironing boarding.

I used to have a passion for it, I know I did, but now that everyone and their dog can translate, even though it often ends up much like what their dog does on pavements, barrowloads of turd to be polished up a little, I now mostly trudge through the drudgery too.

The other day I did 55K, but I was only paid for 20K, because 35K had been "translated" (I use the term lightly). They said (afterwards, not before): "We'll pay you whatever you want for the extra work, because after all, you had to look through all of it to make it all A-OK."

I did, did I? No, I didn't. I did accept a few hours' pay for various unrelated tweakings of the final text, but I declined to be paid for making it all "A-OK", because that would have doubled the price, at least, and I knew that wasn't going to happen. I had "looked through" all 55K, but just that, looked through it, not "looked through" it the way they meant (hours of ultra-mega-heavy correction).

As I translated, I took an occasional glance at the company's annual accounts for the previous year in English (nothing to do with me, I might add), proudly posted on their website, and came to the conclusion that if they were happy with that foul, steaming load of inaccuracies, stilted language and WTFs in a relentless massacre of the English langwidge, they would accept anything, so my rather pleasant 20K would look just fine in there.

[Edited at 2021-04-08 10:16 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Serbian to English
+ ...
Strongly disagree Apr 8, 2021

Paul Adie wrote:

Paul

Whether you are being paid (no more than some token money or an amount you better keep for yourself, or anything in-between) or not at all is beside the point.

That has no correlation with you being passionate about what you are doing (passionate "for real", not as some form of meaningless psychobabble figure of speech) or alternatively feeling that you are being forced into drudgery.

If there is any kind of correlation to be made, I would see "being passionate about what you are doing" as being potentially a contributing factor to making more money from whatever you are passionate about, if and when you do it for money. Namely, most of the time, those paying can sense if they are paying a time-server or someone really interested in doing the best job possible.

Becca Resnik
Christine Andersen
María José Domínguez Camba

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Differing opinions are fine Apr 8, 2021

I disagree passionately... the spice of life.

Daryo wrote:

Paul Adie wrote:

Paul

Whether you are being paid (no more than some token money or an amount you better keep for yourself, or anything in-between) or not at all is beside the point.

That has no correlation with you being passionate about what you are doing (passionate "for real", not as some form of meaningless psychobabble figure of speech) or alternatively feeling that you are being forced into drudgery.

If there is any kind of correlation to be made, I would see "being passionate about what you are doing" as being potentially a contributing factor to making more money from whatever you are passionate about, if and when you do it for money. Namely, most of the time, those paying can sense if they are paying a time-server or someone really interested in doing the best job possible.

P.L.F. Persio

Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic
Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Croatian to English
+ ...
I live well Apr 9, 2021

neilmac wrote:

I couldn't bring myself to agree with "live good".
I don't mind "How are you?" -> "I'm good", but from there to "live good" is a quantum leap too far for this old boomer
Good, gooder goodest..., Nein danke!

Bad grammar exists everywhere... but here’s the way I think it’s supposed to be:

You can be a good person (adjective) who makes good money; hence you live well (adverb).

Have a nice day! 😊

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
"Passion is best reserved for hobbies and shagging" Apr 9, 2021

I think that's one of the funniest and most honest things I've ever read on Proz.com!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Paul Adie (X)

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Apr 9, 2021

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

"I'm good" for "I'm well" or "fine" but confusing adjective and verb bothers me. Maybe I'm getting old. =)

pfff! Back in the day, as an English teacher, if my students told me "I'm good" I'd answer that I wasn't their mother, and wasn't interested in how well-behaved they were, but about their state of health.

P.L.F. Persio
Christine Andersen

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What best describes translation for you?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »