Thread poster: Richard Creech
Richard Creech
Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:29
French to English
+ ...
May 11, 2006

From time to time I have seen postings calling for a way to distinguish between European and Brazilian forms of Portuguese when doing searches on this site. I agree that this is an idea, as much time is wasted by not being able to filter out one or the other. Is anything being done about this? Perhaps someone from the staff can weigh in.

Obrigado.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 04:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
There's precious little interest in this topic, it seems ... May 11, 2006

I fully agree with Richard that dialects and national variants get short shrift in Proz.

But I guess it's because there's little interest in the problem. See http://www.proz.com/topic/45523 , for example.

Posted weeks ago - and no response - from Proz site staff, nor Proziens at large!

MediaMatrix

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:29
French to Portuguese
+ ...
This subject was a little discussed very recently May 11, 2006

Hi Richard,

Here you've got the link to that posting:

http://www.proz.com/topic/46917

People agree to do that but I guess there are not enough people discussing in the forum so that it could be changed by staff, but I think it's a good idea to separate things.

It would also avoid comments such as "disagree/neutral - not in PT-PT or not in PT-BR".
<
... See more
Hi Richard,

Here you've got the link to that posting:

http://www.proz.com/topic/46917

People agree to do that but I guess there are not enough people discussing in the forum so that it could be changed by staff, but I think it's a good idea to separate things.

It would also avoid comments such as "disagree/neutral - not in PT-PT or not in PT-BR".

It was also long discussed in 2002 http://www.proz.com/topic/1362

but apparently nothing was done about it.

Should we make a poll on this subject, for instance, to see the percentage of people who agree and disagree? Is that possible? One more or less like this:

- What do you think of the separation of the Portuguese language into PT-PT and PT-BR in the site?
- agree
- disagree
- other opinion (comment)

That's just an idea.

Best regards,
Ivana
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A poll? - yes, but not restricted to Portuguese May 11, 2006

Should we make a poll on this subject, for instance, to see the percentage of people who agree and disagree? Is that possible? One more or less like this:

- What do you think of the separation of the Portuguese language into PT-PT and PT-BR in the site?
- agree
- disagree

That's just an idea.

Best regards,
Ivana

Yes, by all means conduct a poll - but it should be globalized (by removing the specific reference to Portuguese) if you want to get a fair reflection of the need for treating ALL dialects and/or regional/national variants as separate source and target languages.

I'd suggest the following question:

'Should Proz recognise dialects and/or national (or regional) variants of a language as if they were languages in their own right? (e.g. pt-BR/pt-PT, en-GB/en-US, fr-FR/fr-CA/fr-BE)'
- agree
- disagree

MediaMatrix

Olga Vilan
Olga Vilan
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree May 11, 2006

[quote]Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

- agree
- disagree

Go forward, Ivana!

Best regards,
Olga

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know how to propose a poll May 11, 2006

or if I can do it since I'm a non paying member!

Richard Creech
Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:29
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Market Issue May 12, 2006

I agree that there may (or may not be) good reasons for distinguishing forms of other languages (Spanish, French, English, for example) that have different global variants, and I know this opens up the whole "language" versus "dialect" can of worms, but the crucial focus here should be on what the market demands. There is no commercial need to differentiate between forms of a language if customers aren't insisting on the usage of one over the other. This is clearly the case with Brazilian versus... See more
I agree that there may (or may not be) good reasons for distinguishing forms of other languages (Spanish, French, English, for example) that have different global variants, and I know this opens up the whole "language" versus "dialect" can of worms, but the crucial focus here should be on what the market demands. There is no commercial need to differentiate between forms of a language if customers aren't insisting on the usage of one over the other. This is clearly the case with Brazilian versus European Portuguese, however.

There probably should be a 4-way split, for Brazil, Portugal, Africa and Asian Portuguese (although I don't know how much demand there is for the latter). Ideally there would be a way to search based on either a regional variant or for all variants at the same time. But as it is now, whenever I try and do a search on people who work with European Portuguese I have to filter through all of the Brazilians, and vice versa.
Collapse

Tomás Rosa Bueno
Tomás Rosa Bueno  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Agree in terms May 12, 2006

Richard Creech wrote:

There probably should be a 4-way split, for Brazil, Portugal, Africa and Asian Portuguese (although I don't know how much demand there is for the latter). Ideally there would be a way to search based on either a regional variant or for all variants at the same time. But as it is now, whenever I try and do a search on people who work with European Portuguese I have to filter through all of the Brazilians, and vice versa.

The official language in Portuguese-speaking African and Asian countries is European Portuguese. The real "split" is between European and Brazilian Portuguese. I could argue that there's no such a thing as "Brazilian Portuguese", but this is another story -- the fact remains that, especially in commercial and technical translations, each has a separate market. And I agree that there should be a way to search for each separately. I also agree with *all* proposals made here.

However, I am positively against the separation of European and Brazilian Portuguese in two distinct subcommunities, as some have been advocating. Personally, I have learned a lot from my experience in working closely with Portuguese translators in projects where both flavors were being translated, and here in Proz, and I think the same must be true for every Portuguese translator on both sides of the Mar Oceano.

Best,

Tomás

Gabriela Frazao
Gabriela Frazao  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sou a favor da sub-comunidade PT-BR, May 13, 2006

e sempre fui. Ponto final. Parágrafo.

Entre outras coisas, defendo que um membro inscrito em PT-pt, por exemplo, não deveria «ganhar/adquirir» KudoZ quando respondesse a uma resposta a PT-Br - e vice-versa.

Infelizmente, só conheço a opinião particular de alguns colegas brasileiros, mas não de todos . A maioria deixou de participar neste fórum de discussão desde há algum tempo.

Mas conheço bem a opinião da maioria dos colegas portugueses a res
... See more
e sempre fui. Ponto final. Parágrafo.

Entre outras coisas, defendo que um membro inscrito em PT-pt, por exemplo, não deveria «ganhar/adquirir» KudoZ quando respondesse a uma resposta a PT-Br - e vice-versa.

Infelizmente, só conheço a opinião particular de alguns colegas brasileiros, mas não de todos . A maioria deixou de participar neste fórum de discussão desde há algum tempo.

Mas conheço bem a opinião da maioria dos colegas portugueses a respeito deste assunto e de outros.

O ProZ não é uma ONG - para ele contribuem os membros que pagam e os que não pagam, servindo cada um deles diferentes objectivos em termos comerciais, que compreendo perfeitamente.

Em sede própria já apresentei todos os meus pontos de vista e aguardo a avaliação ou eventual discussão dos mesmos. Apresentei-os onde entendi que deviam ser e não aonde alguém tem sempre a veleidade - ou quiçá a ousadia, de me mandar apresentar.

Um abraço
Gabriela
Collapse

Gabriela Frazao
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sub-comunidades May 13, 2006

Tomás,

Utilizando o dispositivo que o ProZ faculta a todos os seus membros, você remeteu 100 correios electrónicos para Portugal e para o Brasil a propor que o ajudassem na tradução do sítio ProZ em português do Brasil.

Nesse mesmo correio electrónico amavelmente pedia desculpa aos portugueses pelo facto deste dispositivo não lhe permitir separar os «dialectos», e até teve o cuidado de informar que o sítio também iria ser traduzido em português de Portuga
... See more
Tomás,

Utilizando o dispositivo que o ProZ faculta a todos os seus membros, você remeteu 100 correios electrónicos para Portugal e para o Brasil a propor que o ajudassem na tradução do sítio ProZ em português do Brasil.

Nesse mesmo correio electrónico amavelmente pedia desculpa aos portugueses pelo facto deste dispositivo não lhe permitir separar os «dialectos», e até teve o cuidado de informar que o sítio também iria ser traduzido em português de Portugal.

Por conseguinte, não fui que estabeleci as diferenças. Foi vocé e logo à partida.

Pois é, mas os portugueses não gostaram da sua mensagem e eu também não. A resposta que dei aos que reclamaram foi precisamente igual àquela que lhe si. E as que apareça, a começar pela sua.

Em termos práticos e tanto quanto sei, ainda ninguém se ofereceu para traduzir o sítio em português de Portugal - cuja necessidade considero inútil, porque que lermos de apareceu no sítio "usuário" em vez de "utilizador", penso que seja completamente indiferente para os portugueses.

Mas como você trabalha com tantos colegas portugueses, estou certa que encontrará entre eles quem o ajude na sua benemérita tarefa.

É o que penso.

Gabriela Frazão

[quote]Tomás Rosa Bueno wrote:

The official language in Portuguese-speaking African and Asian countries is European Portuguese. The real "split" is between European and Brazilian Portuguese. I could argue that there's no such a thing as "Brazilian Portuguese", but this is another story -- the fact remains that, especially in commercial and technical translations, each has a separate market. And I agree that there should be a way to search for each separately. I also agree with *all* proposals made here.

[Edited at 2006-05-14 00:30]
Collapse

Tomás Rosa Bueno
Tomás Rosa Bueno  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
E qual é a lógica? May 13, 2006

Gabriela Frazao wrote:

E qual é a lógica por trás dessa proposta? Se um português der uma resposta válida e corre(c)ta à pergunta de um brasileiro, por que não deveria ganhar os pontos, e vice-versa?

Em sede própria já apresentei todos os meus pontos de vista e aguardo a avaliação ou eventual discussão dos mesmos.

Onde seria essa sede própria, para que eu possa também participar dessa discussão?

Obrigado,

Tomás

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Respondendo à lógica May 13, 2006

Olá Tomás,

Na minha opinião, dividir os KUDOZ em PT e PTB seria útil para evitar que andemos sempre a atacar-nos uns aos outros, por exemplo.

Já viu por exemplo o tempo que se tem perdido a atacar os colegas neste mesmo fórum? Ao menos divididos, poderíamos concentrar os nossos esforços na nossa variante linguística e no que realmente preocupa a comunidade linguística.

Pessoalmente, já vim mais vezes a este sítio e já tive sobre este uma melhor
... See more
Olá Tomás,

Na minha opinião, dividir os KUDOZ em PT e PTB seria útil para evitar que andemos sempre a atacar-nos uns aos outros, por exemplo.

Já viu por exemplo o tempo que se tem perdido a atacar os colegas neste mesmo fórum? Ao menos divididos, poderíamos concentrar os nossos esforços na nossa variante linguística e no que realmente preocupa a comunidade linguística.

Pessoalmente, já vim mais vezes a este sítio e já tive sobre este uma melhor imagem. Para mim, o PROZ tem interesse para debater assuntos de trabalho e os "mimos" aqui trocados entre membros não me dizem nada e repugnam-me.

No KUDOZ há muito que deixei de participar e já por duas vezes que pedi ao Henry para eliminar os meus pontos, o que foi feito na época. Tenho até uma nota na minha página sobre o KUDOZ explicando porque não participo nessa secção. Está visivel para todos. Não penso que concorrer pelos pontos me traga visibilidade nem indique qualidade profissional. Claro que é a minha opinião... todos são livres de ter outras.

Não acho fiável um local de entreajuda atribuir pontos. Todos querem os famosos pontinhos e isso leva muitos a opinarem mesmo com sugestões visivelmente desadequadas. Assim, quando quero ajudar respondo ao colega directamente e prescindo da corrida aos pontos.

Enquanto, estas situações se mantiverem, recuso-me a pagar seja o que for para ser membro de primeira linha, simplemente porque não encontro qualidade suficiente neste sítio que mereça esse pagamento.

Desculpe a franqueza, mas é o que acho há muito e hoje não resisti a deixar aqui o meu testemunho.

Claro que sobre as diferenças entre PTB e PT não vou falar. São óbvias e existe sobre isso imensa literatura disponível, mesmo que muita gente na praça queira meter a foice em seara alheia e insista em não as ver.

Cumprimentos
Mónica Machado

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-05-13 18:38]

[Edited at 2006-05-14 19:01]
Collapse

Gabriela Frazao
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Um grande problema seu... May 13, 2006

e o problema é menor.

Tomás Rosa Bueno wrote:

Gabriela Frazao wrote:

E qual é a lógica por trás dessa proposta? Se um português der uma resposta válida e corre(c)ta à pergunta de um brasileiro, por que não deveria ganhar os pontos, e vice-versa?

Em sede própria já apresentei todos os meus pontos de vista e aguardo a avaliação ou eventual discussão dos mesmos.

Onde seria essa sede própria, para que eu possa também participar dessa discussão?

Obrigado,

Tomás

Gabriela Frazao
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Conseguiu ... May 14, 2006

Tomás Rosa Bueno wrote:

Gabriela Frazao wrote:

Obrigado,

Tomás

María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda
María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:29
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Já inseri os dados para esta "poll" (tal e qual sugeriu)... May 14, 2006

- agree
- disagree

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Brazilian vs. European Portuguese

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »