Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do You Use Radio Media To Improve Language/Translation Skills?
Thread poster: Barbara Cochran, MFA
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
German to English
Please do not change people's quoted text Aug 5, 2020

[quote]Tom in London wrote:

Kevin Fulton wrote:

In addition to providing extra internet security, a virtual private network allows me to access television PROGRAMMES not normally accessible outside the broadcast country. For example, I watch German and Austrian series and documentaries on my computer. If I had a smart TV, I could install the software on that device and watch the PROGRAMMES on a wide-screen television set.

It's very offensive. I shall henceforth ignore your posts.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:50
German to English
When in doubt, open a dictionary. Aug 5, 2020

Apparently my joke didn't make the sense I meant it to. Anyone interested in reading a poor joke may read the (correctly) quoted version in Chris's post.

[Edited at 2020-08-05 16:13 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Pardon? Aug 5, 2020

Michael Wetzel wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I too have a VPN, which I use to watch PROGRAMMES from my native Ireland, Italy, and sometimes other countries as well. I also sometimes watch PROGRAMS from the US. I use a PROGRAM to set up a VPN so I can watch them on my computer or stream them from my computer to my TV via HDMI.

Please pardon my changes, but I think that is what you meant to write.

Is all this shouting because these POGROMS don’t come with subtitles?

Michael Wetzel

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 06:50
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Agree. Aug 5, 2020

[quote]Kevin Fulton wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Kevin Fulton wrote:

In addition to providing extra internet security, a virtual private network allows me to access television PROGRAMMES not normally accessible outside the broadcast country. For example, I watch German and Austrian series and documentaries on my computer. If I had a smart TV, I could install the software on that device and watch the PROGRAMMES on a wide-screen television set.

It's very offensive. I shall henceforth ignore your posts.

It's offensive and rude. There are many places where he could demonstrate his superior editing skills, for instance with paying clients?

Regarding the topic, most news (at least online) are in English anyway (my source language). I sometimes listen to online radio in French or German, but prefer interactive communication to one way communication where you are just a passive listener (that's not as effective practice, IMO, but it's better than nothing).

[Edited at 2020-08-05 13:29 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Aug 5, 2020

[Edited at 2020-08-05 16:04 GMT]

WS McCallum
WS McCallum
New Zealand
Local time: 18:50
French to English
A multi-media world Aug 7, 2020

Barbara Cochran, MFA wrote:

For example, do you stream radio programs, in the language of their country of origin (think RAI and RFI, among others, for instance), to keep abreast of topics (like Covid-19) that you may be addressing as part of your translation work, and at the same time, to keep up with your listening comprehension of your source languages?

Yes, I do, along with watching TV news on the Internet. Documentaries, films and TV series are also good sources of material. Serious hospital dramas, or documentaries on medical misadventures, can be stimulating if you are a medical translator. The same goes for crime and law and order stuff if you work in the legal sector, or even finance and market reports if you work in that area. There's more to being a translator than a text-based focus.

Following broadcasts in your own language is also useful and allows you to keep up with international changes in English (in my case). For example when neologisms like "subsidiarity" pop up in BBC broadcasts on the EU. It's also entertaining and validates your knowledge when you can spot misuses of terminology in such sources: I hear and see a lot of bafflegab in market reports for instance; even that might be useful one day if you need to paper over the cracks in a badly-written source text.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do You Use Radio Media To Improve Language/Translation Skills?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »