Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 26, 2018

Yesterday I received a notification about a Connect job, pointing to a message with this subject line:
Subject: XXXX: English/Hungarian Translation
(I redacted the name of the company)

I replied to this job using the Connect form, and checked the box for "Send a copy to me".
The system sent me the copy of the message as an email, with the following subject line:
"Reply from Katalin Horváth McClure Re: XXXX: English/Italian Translation"
The mess
... See more
Yesterday I received a notification about a Connect job, pointing to a message with this subject line:
Subject: XXXX: English/Hungarian Translation
(I redacted the name of the company)

I replied to this job using the Connect form, and checked the box for "Send a copy to me".
The system sent me the copy of the message as an email, with the following subject line:
"Reply from Katalin Horváth McClure Re: XXXX: English/Italian Translation"
The message starts like this:
"A candidate has replied to a message you sent.
Candidate: Katalin Horváth McClure
Need or project: XXXX Project: English/Italian Translation"

To my shock, it said English/Italian Translation while the job was for English/Hungarian.

This is bad, because I applied for Hungarian, not Italian, and if the outsourcer does not need Italian than he won't even open my message! If he does need Italian, he would think I am nuts applying as a Hungarian translator.

The end of the reply message there was a link to the original message that the outsourcer posted, which I checked, just to make sure, and it showed that the outsourcer's original message was for English/Hungarian Translation.

This may be a bug, where for some reason, in the message sent by the system to the outsourcer, Hungarian got replaced by Italian (perhaps next in the alphabet on the languages list?)

I submitted a support ticket about this, but I am wondering if anybody else experienced something similar in the past.
Katalin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incorrect language pair in Connect reply

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »