Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
"Getting the most out of your ProZ.com profile" video: what do you think?
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
David Andersen
David Andersen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:11
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Really bona fide! Oct 19, 2011

This professionally done, clear, and extremely practical video does a lot to establish the bona fides of this website to the new user. Great work!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Suzanne Abel (X)
Suzanne Abel (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
English to Danish
+ ...
What did I get out of the love story video? Good ideas and a different slant on the profile. Nov 17, 2011

To those who were critical of the narrator's voice: That voice was sexy and made me sit up straight and l-i-s-t-e-n!!! He can come and read me a bedtime story anytime........seriously though, I learned a few things I can do to become more marketable. (I am new to this site, have no translation experience but have been bilingual all my life both written and spoken), and I am older---semi-retired in fact. A lot of what was said about the profile went right against what I'd done, and I need to ... See more
To those who were critical of the narrator's voice: That voice was sexy and made me sit up straight and l-i-s-t-e-n!!! He can come and read me a bedtime story anytime........seriously though, I learned a few things I can do to become more marketable. (I am new to this site, have no translation experience but have been bilingual all my life both written and spoken), and I am older---semi-retired in fact. A lot of what was said about the profile went right against what I'd done, and I need to go back now and correct my mistakes. The only part I cannot comply with -for now- is the membership and the joining the pros..simply not in my budget right now. But otherwise I think it was well done, offered a new perspective and gave me tools to work with. -And then that voice....oooh!Collapse

Eva Montgomery
Eva Montgomery  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:11
English to Swedish
+ ...
Good eye-opener on use of profile Nov 22, 2011

... well rather on the filling in the profile of course! It's clear, if you take time and are informative and precise, it's quicker to find YOU.

Shimaa Ezz
Shimaa Ezz  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks a lot Dec 12, 2011

So helpful and intersting

Frederique Dunne
Frederique Dunne  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:11
English to French
+ ...
Simple and sensible rules Dec 13, 2011

It summarizes what is needed to start off as a freelancer and gives of great boost of confidence.
It is all very encouraging.
Thank you!

AMcLester
AMcLester  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A most helpful and concise summary albeit a little slow Dec 28, 2011

I beleive that the 'Title of my reply' summarises my experience correctly.
Good, clear explanations in a dead-pan (north American) English making it almost impossible to not understand. In fact, I was half-awaiting a joke at some point. It was a great idea to speak at a fairly slow pace so that all fellow users can understand regardless of the perfection of their English.

Thank you very much and my best regards,

Alex

TSALAZAR
TSALAZAR
Local time: 07:11
Spanish to English
Simple, informative, instructional video..... Jan 8, 2012

Thanks for informing me, as a newcomer, how to navigate your thorough website. In simple terms, you instructed me and informed me about what the contractors look for and what we, as service providers, should focus on to make a first and lasting impression. I will follow the advice given, and also will improve on my profile to get the best that this credible website has to offer.

Togobickij Vera
Togobickij Vera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Lovely cartoon :) Jan 28, 2012

It was a really nice story (I used to make stuff like that with Paintbrush, too) + it was really useful to see things from the outsourcer's point of view. But why does that guy look like Hitler?

Judith Magnan
Judith Magnan
Costa Rica
Local time: 05:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Effective ways to highlight strengths and gain visibility Jan 29, 2012

The video very effectively pointed out how a new member can highlight his/her strengths and gain visibility in the eyes of potential clients. The comparison of an effective profile versus a weak one was very valuable.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Good intention and factual content good, but: Feb 12, 2012

I agree with Samuel:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Jared wrote:
What did you think of it? Post your thoughts here!

It is nice, but I had trouble following the speaker. I had to sit really close to the speakers and shut out all ambient sounds and even then I still could not understand some of the words. Speak slowly and pronounce the words clearly.

The opening sentence sounds like "[mumble mumble] you a love story". When Joe arrives at the city, he is tie (though I suppose he could be tired too).

I find the love story idea slightly affected. Which outsourcer will identify him/herself with that metaphor? Use ordinary translation market terms!

The voice isn't terribly positive (no hard-sell needed).

"Joe" sometimes sounds like "YOU". Change to "George" or a name which is as distinguishable ! (Stephen, Jonathan, Ronald, Patrick, Stephanie, Catherine, Margaret)

Mats

anna maria
anna maria
Very good! Feb 16, 2012

Nice way to get in)

Hernan Delgado
Hernan Delgado  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Getting the most ... " video: To the point. Mar 5, 2012

I started watching this video just out of curiosity. I did not think I would get much out of it, maybe some basic information. But I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw and heard. The video opened my eyes and my mind to the importance of knowing how to market myself. It points out some very useful principles. Thanks ProZ staff for making this video available!

P. S. I have no problem with the audio or the video. All was very clear to me.

Petro Ebersöhn (X)
Petro Ebersöhn (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
Excellent! Mar 5, 2012

I love this love story! I had no problem with either the sound or the picture parts. It motivates one to update one's profile and make it more interesting for viewers. Thanks Jared!

Alejandro Marcos
Alejandro Marcos  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
enlightening video Mar 6, 2012

Well, it may be an exaggeration, but that was my first impression after watching it. A really comprehensive and instructive set of guidelines to get the most out of Proz profile possibilities. I also agree that the comparison between a weak profile versus a strong one is a great point.
I assume doing the cartoon part has not been precisely an easy task. Thanks for the effort!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Getting the most out of your ProZ.com profile" video: what do you think?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »