Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
SUGGESTION: Make second native language verification a separate paid feature for non-Plus members
Thread poster: Olga Sushytska
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:04
SITE FOUNDER
OK, we'll open it up to standard members Jul 16, 2020

Native language verification at ProZ.com is not theoretical anymore, it has been available for three years, it works well, people are getting their native languages verified every day. (And it can be used as a filtering criterion in the "Find" directory.) It is, indeed, "not a big deal." See: https://www.proz.com/native-language-verification/

In reply to Olga, part of the r
... See more
Native language verification at ProZ.com is not theoretical anymore, it has been available for three years, it works well, people are getting their native languages verified every day. (And it can be used as a filtering criterion in the "Find" directory.) It is, indeed, "not a big deal." See: https://www.proz.com/native-language-verification/

In reply to Olga, part of the reason that we made this available to Plus subscribers only was that we were not sure how well it would scale. It hasn't been an issue, though, so we'll make it available to all paying members, which would obviously include you. Give us a few days to do that.

For those paying members interested in having their native languages verified, or willing to verify the native languages of others, please go to: https://www.proz.com/native-language-verification/
Collapse

Olga Sushytska
Olga Sushytska  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:04
Member (2019)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 16, 2020

Henry Dotterer wrote:

It hasn't been an issue, though, so we'll make it available to all paying members, which would obviously include you. Give us a few days to do that.

That's great news, Henry! Thank you so much for this quick reaction 👍

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Bigger deal Jul 16, 2020

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Native language verification ...

For those paying members interested in having their native languages verified, or willing to verify the native languages of others, please go to: https://www.proz.com/native-language-verification/

You are verifying language skills from a short prepared recording.
You're not verifying nativeness in a language IMHO.

And who are the verifiers?
And what about people who already have one verified language but seem quite bad in it on their profile page?

Will they now have their second native language, which might actually be their only true language, verified.?!
It's more complicated than you make it seem, A bigger deal.

For me it's about professional profiles. That's at stake.

IrinaN

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Saying ‘native’ naively implying ‘highly-proficient’ Jul 16, 2020

Bernard, while for simplicity they just compare ‘speaking’ to CEFR C1-C2 (native-like) levels... to assess writers (translators), such verification is ProZ-centered only, so no problem here: if a member claims something and it seems likely, then let him have the N-sign highlighted... for further proving he is a native speaker.

Indeed, such ProZ verification somehow lacks active/real-time speaking-listening and writing-reading, whereas an ID check followed by a short [~10
... See more
Bernard, while for simplicity they just compare ‘speaking’ to CEFR C1-C2 (native-like) levels... to assess writers (translators), such verification is ProZ-centered only, so no problem here: if a member claims something and it seems likely, then let him have the N-sign highlighted... for further proving he is a native speaker.

Indeed, such ProZ verification somehow lacks active/real-time speaking-listening and writing-reading, whereas an ID check followed by a short [~10min] video interview/conference with a few verified peers would make more sense, but for what and how much? Why, I know natives who cannot do C2, so it’s just grey or yellow mark.

On the other hand, in my diploma I have German and French too, but I scarcely had any practice. Of course, I still can read, listen to, and even prepare a text, but it takes so much time and efforts now that I’d rather not!

Furthermore, I happen to know some people who either cheated or just bought their certificates and diplomas from big names and internationally certified exams, so what? The jury is not here:

1) Nativeness proves nothing, unless makes somebody a little happier;
2) Burden of proof still lies with the person submitting a claim;
3) Unlike agencies, real/end clients don't care about mixed-montly things.

Have fun
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Please try it out, Bernhard Jul 16, 2020

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
And who are the verifiers?
And what about people who already have one verified language but seem quite bad in it on their profile page?

Will they now have their second native language, which might actually be their only true language, verified.?!

There is an FAQ on the page: https://www.proz.com/native-language-verification/faqs

Read that, and maybe give it a try. I think that if you try it (try both applying and reviewing), you'll see that it works pretty well (at its modest purpose).

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
mother tongue Jul 16, 2020

Two ways to have two "native" languages: You either were born again, or your dad had two wives, speaking two different languages, and taking turns raising you when you were a baby.

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:04
German to English
+ ...
Like Tina, learned something new today - inconsistencies/possible bugs? Jul 17, 2020

I wouldn't have thought of clicking the yellow/blue N in my profile had it not been for this thread. I was surprised to find the following:

ProZ.com Native Speaker
Alison MacG has reported the following native languages:
English
English
Both native languages have been confirmed

Further checking shows that at least one other poster on this thread has the same strange message, whereas another has the message (sort of) I would have expected
... See more
I wouldn't have thought of clicking the yellow/blue N in my profile had it not been for this thread. I was surprised to find the following:

ProZ.com Native Speaker
Alison MacG has reported the following native languages:
English
English
Both native languages have been confirmed

Further checking shows that at least one other poster on this thread has the same strange message, whereas another has the message (sort of) I would have expected to see in my own profile:

ProZ.com Native Speaker
****** has reported the following native language:
English
****** has declared that this is his or her only native language and has been confirmed
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:04
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Jul 17, 2020

I have only just discovered that I am twice native in Spanish.
Hopefully this bug will be sorted out.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:04
Portuguese to English
+ ...
How to verify for the Native Speaker Conversation service? Jul 17, 2020

I have heard that ProZ have a new Native Conversation Service Pool and I would like to participate but it seems that I can't confirm even one of the languages because I am not a Plus member. The financial situation here is now so bad that a service like Native Conversation would bring some badly needed cash, but there are so many restrictions. And if I wanted to take the opportunity to, say, do NCSP in Italian which I studied for two years, then I can't because I am not a Business member.
... See more
I have heard that ProZ have a new Native Conversation Service Pool and I would like to participate but it seems that I can't confirm even one of the languages because I am not a Plus member. The financial situation here is now so bad that a service like Native Conversation would bring some badly needed cash, but there are so many restrictions. And if I wanted to take the opportunity to, say, do NCSP in Italian which I studied for two years, then I can't because I am not a Business member.
How can I get my native-ness verified? Only in English as this is the language I plan to use for NCSP. I heard you can verify other people, but how? And how do I record myself speaking?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SUGGESTION: Make second native language verification a separate paid feature for non-Plus members

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »