Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Discussion for ProZ.com & TAUS present: The Great Translation Debate (2011)

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com's Virtual Conferences » "Discussion for ProZ.com & TAUS present: The Great Translation Debate (2011)".
You can see the ProZ.com's virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
TAUS is the translation automation user society Sep 29, 2011

Hi Oleg -

TAUS is the Translation automation user society - http://www.translationautomation.com/

Regards,

Drew

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:13
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Freelance translator perspective Oct 1, 2011

Drew MacFadyen wrote:
We are happy to include translators on panels and discussions. It's something we've been trying to do without success. Freelance translators that are willing to participate in the debate should contact me directly. That said a number of the panelists have also been translators.

Hi Drew,

I've had a similar experience over the past decade when I invited "many" professional translators and translation agencies to participate in panel sessions for several conferences related to the topic of MT. It has often ended up that I participated on the panels from the translator perspective since I've had much experience in that area, yet mainly because it was difficult to convince individuals and translation agencies (LSPs) to participate. In those cases, there was a factor that can be understood. For agencies or professional translators to participate, it meant taking the time off of productive translation jobs (revenue-bearing time) or putting conference attendance budget (usually related to marketing/sales/business development) to attend such in-person conferences. And it is not surprising that there were so many negative responses.

It is different for such a virtual conference from the budget perspective.

One other angle which I've explained in various online discussion forums is that there are several types of groups taking different positions on this debatable topic (after of course filtering out a good majority of those who are still in wait-and-see mode):
1) those who use MT and are willing to say it publicly and even talk about it
2) those who use MT and don't want to give any details on how they are doing it
2) those who use MT as an internal process but do not want to say it publicly in order to not get tagged and labelled as being on the dark side of the force (and potentially losing customers because of the negative reputation of MT)
3) those who consistently speak against MT (and quite often without any practical experience in it)

However, it is good to see more participation from different perspectives over time.

Jeff

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion for ProZ.com & TAUS present: The Great Translation Debate (2011)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »