Thread poster: Marissa Aguayo Gavilano
Marissa Aguayo Gavilano
Marissa Aguayo Gavilano  Identity Verified
Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 11, 2018

Dear colleagues,

I received an email today from someone asking for a quote. Luckily, my antivirus software identified automatically that the attachment was dangerous and deleted it before I was even able to see it.

Please stay on the safe side and don't just open any attachments. I'd recommend getting an antivirus for your mail server.

Details below:

Sender name: Le Tan Loi
Sender email: <
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I received an email today from someone asking for a quote. Luckily, my antivirus software identified automatically that the attachment was dangerous and deleted it before I was even able to see it.

Please stay on the safe side and don't just open any attachments. I'd recommend getting an antivirus for your mail server.

Details below:

Sender email: [email protected]
File name: quotation_Jan011118_xlsx.arj

Please find enclosed our quotation for this inquiry then we can process PO on this ASAP.

Best regards,
--------------------------------------------------
Le Tan Loi
Room design and tender ME
Mobile - 0937 481 406

Our experience drives us forward

| Address : BUILDING COTECCONS,
236/6 Dien Bien Phu Street, Ward 17,
Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
| Phone: (84-8) 3514 2355 - 66 | Fax: (84-8) 3514 3277
| Email: [email protected]

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------
 Environmental: Please do not print this message if not necessary!
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:48
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Totally agree Jan 11, 2018

Totally agree. That's how many, if not most, of the current hacks are spreading, including ransomware, identity theft, breaking into emails, etc. Almost all of them have behind them a malicious attachment to an email that someone opened without realizing what it was.

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
can't be too careful Jan 11, 2018

I received an email from a long-time friend, saying that they (actual names of my friends) have sent me a cloud-based file. Click here to receive. Sounded suspicious, so I called them by phone. They knew nothing about it and have not used that particular email address for a long time.

Joohee Kim
Joohee Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 05:48
Member (2017)
English to Korean
+ ...
Thank you Jan 11, 2018

Thank you for sharing, Marissa!

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Such e-mails seem to be becoming more and more prevalent Jan 11, 2018

Just the other day, I received an official-looking e-mail informing me that my Apple account had been disabled and inviting me to clink on a link to update my personal information. I spotted it as a fake, but I can well understand why others might not.

I have previously received similar e-mails purporting to be from PayPal.

Another variant of this is when someone hacks into the e-mail of a contact of yours, and you receive a message from that account inviting you to cl
... See more
Just the other day, I received an official-looking e-mail informing me that my Apple account had been disabled and inviting me to clink on a link to update my personal information. I spotted it as a fake, but I can well understand why others might not.

I have previously received similar e-mails purporting to be from PayPal.

Another variant of this is when someone hacks into the e-mail of a contact of yours, and you receive a message from that account inviting you to click on a link (which, I imagine, implants a virus or malware into your computer if you open it).

The giveaway in the latter case is the short and impersonal text of the message (typically, "I thought you might like to look at this"). In some cases, the e-mails are from persons who I am no longer in touch with - and in at least one instance from someone who had died prior to my receiving the message.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:48
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you for the warning Jan 12, 2018

Yes, the number of these emails is on the rise.

My email account automatically scans any attachments for viruses or malware. My anti-virus/malware programs alert me whenever something is suspicious. To be on the safe side, whenever I receive emails, e. g. from PayPal or any other account of mine, asking me to verify any information, I never use the provided link, but instead log into that account in a secure browser to see if there are any issues.

Like Robert, I also r
... See more
Yes, the number of these emails is on the rise.

My email account automatically scans any attachments for viruses or malware. My anti-virus/malware programs alert me whenever something is suspicious. To be on the safe side, whenever I receive emails, e. g. from PayPal or any other account of mine, asking me to verify any information, I never use the provided link, but instead log into that account in a secure browser to see if there are any issues.

Like Robert, I also received emails from my friends' email addresses. Upon opening them (after the scan), there's usually a link I'm supposed to check out. That suffices to simply delete them, including from the trash folder, and to inform my friends in a newly created email that their account has been hacked. Fortunately, I've never received an email from someone who had died.
Collapse

Anamaria Calinescu
Anamaria Calinescu  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:48
English to Romanian
Antivirus software Apr 3, 2020

Hi,

What antivirus software are you using for the mail server, please? Thank you for the info provided! Couldn't find a more updated chat on this, so that's why replying back to this forum. Thank you!

Marissa Aguayo Gavilano wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Details below:

Sender email: [email protected]
File name: quotation_Jan011118_xlsx.arj

Please find enclosed our quotation for this inquiry then we can process PO on this ASAP.

Best regards,
--------------------------------------------------
Le Tan Loi
Room design and tender ME
Mobile - 0937 481 406

Our experience drives us forward

| Address : BUILDING COTECCONS,
236/6 Dien Bien Phu Street, Ward 17,
Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
| Phone: (84-8) 3514 2355 - 66 | Fax: (84-8) 3514 3277
| Email: [email protected]

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------
 Environmental: Please do not print this message if not necessary!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware dangerous email attachments

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »