Giada Riva  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:50
Member (2019)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 17, 2019

Hello everybody,
a couple of days ago I found a request from a Denise Idel with Igmi to take a translation test, with a word file attached. I decided to pay no attention to it, not only because Gmail put the message in my spam folder but also because I hadn't actively contacted them with quotes. It seemed suspicious also because the address was in the format of [email protected], and the object had [Fwd] in it.
... See more
Hello everybody,
a couple of days ago I found a request from a Denise Idel with Igmi to take a translation test, with a word file attached. I decided to pay no attention to it, not only because Gmail put the message in my spam folder but also because I hadn't actively contacted them with quotes. It seemed suspicious also because the address was in the format of [email protected], and the object had [Fwd] in it.

But I couldn't let it rest. So I looked up this forum, read some posts and decided to contact the company directly via email to let them know what had happened and to know whether it was a legitimate request. So I sent both an email to their info@ address I found on their website and a message with the contact us form. They both bounced back, I got an error from the contact us form when I submitted it, and I got a mail delivery failure from their email address. Isn't it weird?

This company has a ProZ account, Blue Board entries and an active FaceBook page. What do you think? Could it be a scam? Should I try contacting them through FB? I should also mentioned that the first message I received wasn't send through the ProZ mail system.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Giada Sep 17, 2019

The 'corporate' email of the company is in format [...]@igmi.co.il.

[Edited at 2019-09-18 06:25 GMT]

Yolanda Broad
Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:50
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Business relationship Sep 17, 2019

Giada,
I translated for Denise for around three years and then, she simply disappeared, vanished. I never heard from her anymore. Her communication was great, and payments were always on due dates. I did not have problems with her.

See the contact I had from her
Denise Igmi

I was very curious about her disappearance, but this freelance life is like that, people come and people go.

Vadim Kadyrov
Morano El-Kholy

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
send a ProZ message Sep 17, 2019

You can always contact them through their profile here. Then you know you're contacting the real outsourcer.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:50
French to English
+ ...
Not a scam, and not Denise IGMI Sep 17, 2019

I know Denise personally. When we first met, I don't recall how, possibly through the Israel Translators Association, she was a highly talented freelancer with superb writing skills in Romanian, interested in translating literature and compiling a high-quality Romanian-Hebrew dictionary. At some point, she became the full-time translation coordinator of IGMI, a translation agency in Haifa, as an employee. That agency may have closed.
Best regards,
Sandra

Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic

igmi_co
igmi_co
Israel
Thank you, Sandra! Sep 17, 2019

Really thank you for you support and kind words.
And thanks all for checking outsourcers' identities, as there are so many scammers everywhere (I receive every day tens of stolen CVs).
There is so much pressure as a translations coordinator, when you have to work simultaneously with tens of clients and translators... That's the reason I don't really invest time in writing long posts with many details (as they are already on Proz).
So... Denise from IGMI is not a scammer...... See more
Really thank you for you support and kind words.
And thanks all for checking outsourcers' identities, as there are so many scammers everywhere (I receive every day tens of stolen CVs).
There is so much pressure as a translations coordinator, when you have to work simultaneously with tens of clients and translators... That's the reason I don't really invest time in writing long posts with many details (as they are already on Proz).
So... Denise from IGMI is not a scammer...
Collapse

Giada Riva
Giada Riva  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2019)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Denise Sep 18, 2019

Thank you for your help, everyone.

@Denise, glad to meet you! So the translation test I was sent isn't actually from you, correct?

I apologise if my post has caused you trouble but I was making sure I wasn't scammed. I did try to contact Igmi directly but to no avail because my email wasn't delivered.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Identity theft Jan 4, 2020

igmi_co wrote:
Denise from IGMI is not a scammer...

Please consider doing a favour to both yourself and to other translators. Just a note on your own profile here about your email address would help no end. I believe ProZ.com will also put a note on the BB record if requested.

Yolanda Broad

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Denise from Igmi

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »