Cynthia Coan
Cynthia Coan
United States
Local time: 13:34
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
More on the potential pitfalls of cashier's checks Jul 1, 2020

In reading through the posts on cashier's checks, I came across a posting from a person contacted by a potential client identifying herself as Sandra Hendrix, who offered payment via cashier's check. I was recently contacted by a person who seems to be the same Sandra Hendrix, also offering to pay for a translation (for which she attached a file) via a cashier's check. However, feeling uneasy about accepting payment that way, I looked up info. on cashier's checks in general and found that acce... See more
In reading through the posts on cashier's checks, I came across a posting from a person contacted by a potential client identifying herself as Sandra Hendrix, who offered payment via cashier's check. I was recently contacted by a person who seems to be the same Sandra Hendrix, also offering to pay for a translation (for which she attached a file) via a cashier's check. However, feeling uneasy about accepting payment that way, I looked up info. on cashier's checks in general and found that accepting such checks can indeed lead to fraud. According to the advice I read, one should not accept a cashier's check from any individual that one doesn't know. For further details, click on the below link and review the section "How can I avoid cashier's check fraud?"

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/banking/cashiers-check-when-you-need-one-how-to-get-it

P.S.: I replied to Sandra H's offer of the cashier's check by saying I generally didn't accept payment that way and inquiring whether she had PayPal. I may or may not ever hear from her again.

[Edited at 2020-07-01 16:46 GMT]
Collapse

Luis Rodriguez
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Jason Kim (X)
Jason Kim (X)
United States
English to Korean
+ ...
Now posing as Vera Smith ([email protected]) Jul 12, 2020

I was approached by a "Vera Smith" for the same scam last week for English to Korean translation. Wish I'd looked it up sooner but glad to have found it before starting work and getting the check.

https://www.coursehero.com/file/25859354/PUBLIC-ORGANISATION-PROCEDURES-RESEARCHdocx/

====================

Author: Ver
... See more
I was approached by a "Vera Smith" for the same scam last week for English to Korean translation. Wish I'd looked it up sooner but glad to have found it before starting work and getting the check.

https://www.coursehero.com/file/25859354/PUBLIC-ORGANISATION-PROCEDURES-RESEARCHdocx/

====================

Author: Vera
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 119.237.192.51

-----------

Morning ?Are you available to translated English document to
Korean ? Reply to ( [email protected] )
Thanks...Vera

====================

Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 20th of July 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will received the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

I look forward to reading from you soon.

====================

Thanks so much for your response.... I agreed with your price quote and i am willing to pay for your service..This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so that you will know you have my job with you in the mean time. Payment option is Cashier Check ,The payment will be received first and cleared your bank before you send the document ..do I’ll get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile Number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Once again payment will be received and cleared your bank before you send the document.

====================

Hi there? I acknowledged the receipt of your Payment information....Your full payment will be prepared and mail out to you soon asap.

This is individual project , More so i am freelance researcher i do search for my sponsor and handling the project ..Below is your requested details.... Joe Smith ,4101 COLONIAL RD PIKESVILLE MD 21208-6041 TXT only (321) 420-5313

I will keep you posted

====================

Hi there ? I am sorry for the delay there is death in my sponsor family so I have a little delay, but I am happy to inform you that your payment has been mailed out to you by my sponsor and it ill be deliver TODAY. Also we discussed about considering you for the next phase of this project, but I need to be sure the first phase will be well translated. The additional fee for the next phase of the project was added because i don't want any further delay of payment any more. We've calculated the next phase with your rate, so the first phase and the next document will cost us $[X,XXX.XX] and that is the amount on the check. We don't have much time now and here is the information.

Amount on check:$[X,XXX.X]

Kindly confirm with me as soon as you receive the payment. I hope to hear from you soon

====================

[Edited at 2020-07-12 19:12 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas Walls

Livia Garcia
Livia Garcia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, got the same one Jul 19, 2020

Yes, I received the same email from a: Vera . Do some of the people or businesses that we can rely on working for actually pay with a cashiers check?

YU-CHIH CHEN
YU-CHIH CHEN
United States
Local time: 16:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Same sender. This must be one of the longest existing scam ever. Jul 20, 2020

I am glad I googled before I do anything. Today is my lucky day.

I also got the document named "PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1".
Below are two emails I got.

[First one]

[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 23.97.66.140

-----------

Hey,Are you available to translated English document to
... See more
I am glad I googled before I do anything. Today is my lucky day.

I also got the document named "PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1".
Below are two emails I got.

[First one]

Author's IP address: 23.97.66.140

-----------

Hey,Are you available to translated English document to
Chinese ? Reply to ( [email protected] )
Thanks..Vera

[Second one]

Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 22 of July 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will received the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

Regards
Collapse

Joannie Pharand
Joannie Pharand
United States
Local time: 15:34
English to French
Was contacted by Carolyn Bertozzi from same address on Centennial road NC Jul 24, 2020

Hi

I was contacted by "a woman" named Carolyn Bertozzi via proz email. She has a gmail email.
On Linkedin, she is a P.hD in chemistry, but the text is on Conflict resolution... it is a long text, 11k words or so, title of document is "COMMUNITY STUDENT PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1". She has the same number as mentioned above by many of you (704-323-5649). And she asks for full name, address and mobile number for payment.

I noticed when a line in the text made no s
... See more
Hi

I was contacted by "a woman" named Carolyn Bertozzi via proz email. She has a gmail email.
On Linkedin, she is a P.hD in chemistry, but the text is on Conflict resolution... it is a long text, 11k words or so, title of document is "COMMUNITY STUDENT PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1". She has the same number as mentioned above by many of you (704-323-5649). And she asks for full name, address and mobile number for payment.

I noticed when a line in the text made no sense "Job roles don't cob" and when googling it, it brought me to other language pairs that were asking the same question about what it meant, and this discussion on Proz.

So beware of CAROLYN BERTOZZI, with the address in North Carolina.

Here is one of the first email she sent me this week :

---I will like to know how much it will cost me to get a little under 11,600 words translated. The document is attached to this email. Please, let me know the total cost for the document so we can start from there and the deadline for this document is the 27th of August 2020. My method of payment will be a cashier check or bank certified check. please, let me know if this is okay with you.
Carolyn Bertozzi, Ph.D.
2373 Centennial Farm Road

Charlotte, NC 28202

(704) 323-5649----
Collapse

Keiro Kamioka
Keiro Kamioka  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
I got same Aug 11, 2020

Thanks for the information!
I got exactly same inquiry from anonymous!

laetitialout
laetitialout
United States
English to French
+ ...
Was contacted by Ben Fisher from the same address Aug 13, 2020

I was contacted a couple of days ago by a person named Ben Fisher, the email was [email protected], and the address was 2373 Centennial Farm Road, Charlotte, NC 28202.
They send me the same 11 600 words document, saying that the deadline was September 15th.

Jeff & Hiroko Bunderson
Jeff & Hiroko Bunderson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:34
Member (2004)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Now into Japanese. Aug 15, 2020

We got the following message.
On Aug 15, 2020, at 4:57 AM, Lindabrandon1010 wrote:

Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 17th of August 20
... See more
We got the following message.
On Aug 15, 2020, at 4:57 AM, Lindabrandon1010 wrote:

Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 17th of August 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will received the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

Regards

Néstor Zumaya
Néstor Zumaya  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
[email protected] Aug 18, 2020

Another one as Lara Oehlert.

Author: Lara Oehlert
Author's IP address: 23.249.172.137

mariya90
mariya90  Identity Verified
United States
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
[email protected] Aug 18, 2020

Got one last night from Olaw (a male name with a woman's photo) to translate from English > Bulgarian.

ritz36zemogg (X)
ritz36zemogg (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm a Newbie..Scammer Also reached out to me via my email Aug 23, 2020

Linda via ProZ.com
5:09 AM (15 hours ago)
to me

A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Linda
Author's IP address:

-----------

Hi there ?Are you available to translated Englis
... See more
Linda via ProZ.com
5:09 AM (15 hours ago)
to me

A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Linda
Author's IP address:

-----------

Hi there ?Are you available to translated English document
to Spanish ? Reply to ( [email protected] )
Regards,Linda

As a noob, I replied & said yes I was interested. She responded with:

lindabradon1010
Attachments
6:48 PM (1 hour ago)
to me

Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 23 of August 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will received the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

Regards

Scammer attached a 48 page Word document entitled: "Public Organisation Procedures Research(1)".

Noob question: If we do the translation, how do they scam us? What do they get out of it? Unless it's the bank account info in order to send the "cashier's check"? 🤔 Should I respond in a certain way to "draw them out" or just ignore it after I said I was interested?

[Edited at 2020-08-23 00:21 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Don't waste any more time Aug 23, 2020

Should I respond in a certain way to "draw them out" or just ignore it after I said I was interested?

[Edited at 2020-08-23 00:21 GMT]

Please don't spend any more time on this scam.

ritz36zemogg (X)
MYLENE STEIBLEN
Liviu-Lee Roth

Elodie Chabal
Elodie Chabal
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Scam Aug 24, 2020

Hello

I was contacted by someone who goes by [email protected] asking the very same request be careful!
Elodie

Shinji Kawata (X)

Luis Rodriguez
Luis Rodriguez  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
SCAMS Aug 25, 2020

Lara Oehlert wrote the same offer to me. Beware of fake cashiers checks when they ask you to deposit them. CHECK WITH THE BANK THE CHECK WAS ISSUED FROM. THEY WILL TELL YOU IF IT IS FAKE.

Yolanda Broad

Hélène Montpetit (X)
Hélène Montpetit (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Uh oh... Aug 26, 2020

I should have checked here before I sent my details. I usually do not fall for such things, but when I looked her up, Maria Castillio did have accounts on various social media networks. I gave no information that can't be found elsewhere online, but I still feel uneasy. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to mitigate potential damage?
Thanks for your help!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »