Daniel James
Daniel James  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 15, 2019

Dear Proz members,

I recently received an email offering a job (about 12k words, Working Papers in Economic History), and while the content is interesting, there seem to be a few red flags.

1. The person doesn’t represent a company.
2. I wasn’t asked for a CV, test translation or an invoice. My quote was accepted immediately.
3. This person wants my bank account details ASAP to transfer half the quoted amount. The rest upon completion.
4. The perso
... See more
Dear Proz members,

I recently received an email offering a job (about 12k words, Working Papers in Economic History), and while the content is interesting, there seem to be a few red flags.

1. The person doesn’t represent a company.
2. I wasn’t asked for a CV, test translation or an invoice. My quote was accepted immediately.
3. This person wants my bank account details ASAP to transfer half the quoted amount. The rest upon completion.
4. The person’s name doesn’t match their email address.
5. I have no way of verifying who this person (or his client) is.

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Daniel
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 15, 2019

Several scam boxes ticked there.
You might want to try searching for a couple of key phrases in the text to see whether it's out there on internet.
How did the person find you? Did you just recently make a profile here? Newbies seem to be targeted a lot.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
writeaway
Philippe Etienne
Rachel Fell

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 19:01
Romanian to English
+ ...
aren't there enough red flags? Oct 15, 2019

Overpayment scam.

IrinaN
writeaway
Philippe Etienne
Rachel Fell
Kevin Fulton
Alexandra Hirsch (X)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:01
Danish to English
+ ...
Congratulations, you are the one-zillionth translator to have received this Oct 15, 2019

You have won a counterfeit cheque.

Exaggerating a bit, but try to look around in the Proz forums for scam reports just this year. You could Google

site:proz.com forum scam

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
writeaway
Philippe Etienne
Liviu-Lee Roth

Daniel James
Daniel James  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorted Oct 15, 2019

Hi Thomas and Kay,

Thanks for your prompt replies and your time. After having done a bit more searching on the forum I've found out that it's the same scam that other forum users have been exposed to.

Kind regards,
Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job offer that seems a bit fishy?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »