Thread poster: Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 03:01
Romanian to English
+ ...
Nov 15, 2019

This morning I found two e-mail messages, one in the Inbox and the another one with the same text, in the Junk box:

Elizabeth Clark via ProZ.com [email protected]
To [email protected]
A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Eliz
... See more
This morning I found two e-mail messages, one in the Inbox and the another one with the same text, in the Junk box:

Elizabeth Clark via ProZ.com [email protected]
To [email protected]
A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Elizabeth Clark
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/2827700
Author's IP address: 196.171.43.35
-----------
Hello I trying to reach you without success. Confirm that
you receive this email for further
proceedings.
There is a proposal I want to share with you.please contact
me through address here ([email protected] )
Clark Elizabeth
Thanks

My reply was:

ProZ.com [email protected]

On November 14, 2019, you sent the following message to Elizabeth
Clark

Elizabeth Clark: http://www.proz.com/profile/2827700
-----------
Good morning/afternoon Elizabeth,

If you wish to contact me, this is the ONLY way.

Best,
Lee

Obviously, this person DID NOT reply thrugh the Proz e-mail channel.

This person signed up on Proz in Nov.2019!!!

The IP address is in Lome/Togo ! I am sure they are in desperate need of a Romanian translator!))
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You shouldn't have replied Nov 15, 2019

You shouldn't have replied. The whole purpose of scam emails is to get you to click on something, or reply.

Thomas Pfann
Thomas T. Frost
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
ahartje
Josephine Cassar
Philip Lees

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:01
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Very obvious Nov 15, 2019

Just one glance at that person's email address tells the entire story. Nobody places his/her last name in front of and after the first name, e. g. clarkelizabethclark.

Yes, you shouldn't have replied because, by doing so, the scammer got his hands on your email address.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 09:01
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Me too! Nov 15, 2019

I got the same — a very obvious scam attempt! So naturally I didn't reply; but I did check out the ProZ.com profile, which has already been deleted. With any luck, maybe your reply revealing your e-mail address will not have gone through.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 02:01
English to Russian
+ ...
About 10 days ago Nov 15, 2019

I received a message via Proz from someone registered on Proz, with reference to the profile. The profile was largely empty but there were a name and even a picture. Claimed native language - Tagalog. Registered in Oct or Nov 2019. The lady was in desperate need of part-time Russian speaking PM or something in Belarus. I had my doubts:-)

Messages via Proz were the only ones I would look at once in a while, out of curiosity. A few of them were legit but, apparently, my best rates kil
... See more
I received a message via Proz from someone registered on Proz, with reference to the profile. The profile was largely empty but there were a name and even a picture. Claimed native language - Tagalog. Registered in Oct or Nov 2019. The lady was in desperate need of part-time Russian speaking PM or something in Belarus. I had my doubts:-)

Messages via Proz were the only ones I would look at once in a while, out of curiosity. A few of them were legit but, apparently, my best rates killed any further attempts. The rest... A couple of times I was tempted to offer "organic farmers" and the ilk a piece of burred broom stick with the appropriate handling instructions but replying to them is too risky and was not worth it, so I refrained:-)

I didn't go beyond her profile and trashed the message; I can't provide profile # or IP address.

I wonder if the scammers are now registering on Proz before scamming? This would be really bad news for the honest and inexperienced beginners registered on Proz.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Tradupro17

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 03:01
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Triple "T" (Thayega, Tom & Tony) :-) Nov 15, 2019

I did not click on the link this person sent, I am too afraid of keyloggers.

I replied through her Proz mail account, this is the reason I wrote the words "ONLY way" in regard to messages.

My e-mail is posted everywhere, this is not a reason for concern.

Lee

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

weird message - I suspect a scam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »