Don't fall for the financial fraud
Thread poster: shihpw
shihpw
shihpw
United States
Local time: 02:31
English to Chinese
Feb 26, 2020

I was contacted by a job opportunity from Proz and the quote was accepted by the employer accordingly. The employer stated the payment will be sent from a "sponsor" and I should deposit the check as soon as I received it based on the instruction given. I deferred to wait until the project is completed (over 12k words translated afterwards) to deposit the check to my bank. BTW, they sent more than what I quoted and asked me to deposit the check then return the excessive amount via Paypal. The... See more
I was contacted by a job opportunity from Proz and the quote was accepted by the employer accordingly. The employer stated the payment will be sent from a "sponsor" and I should deposit the check as soon as I received it based on the instruction given. I deferred to wait until the project is completed (over 12k words translated afterwards) to deposit the check to my bank. BTW, they sent more than what I quoted and asked me to deposit the check then return the excessive amount via Paypal. The check bounced, the employer was not accessible and the sponsor's family died so could not deal with sending another check.

Make a long story short, the sponsor even asked me to go to Walmart to buy a gift card (by then I have talked to my bank and found out they could not locate the sender's bank account). It is a well orchestrated scam. I was lucky enough not to suffer any financial loss and the bank told me to contact the law enforcement agency which is too busy catching the "real" bad person and dismissed the case I presented.

The only remedy for me to do is to share this experience with the community and hope no one will fall for the scam ever.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Sorry to hear that, Feb 26, 2020

shihpw wrote:

I was contacted by a job opportunity from Proz and the quote was accepted by the employer accordingly. The employer stated the payment will be sent from a "sponsor" and I should deposit the check as soon as I received it based on the instruction given. I deferred to wait until the project is completed (over 12k words translated afterwards) to deposit the check to my bank. BTW, they sent more than what I quoted and asked me to deposit the check then return the excessive amount via Paypal. The check bounced, the employer was not accessible and the sponsor's family died so could not deal with sending another check.

Make a long story short, the sponsor even asked me to go to Walmart to buy a gift card (by then I have talked to my bank and found out they could not locate the sender's bank account). It is a well orchestrated scam. I was lucky enough not to suffer any financial loss and the bank told me to contact the law enforcement agency which is too busy catching the "real" bad person and dismissed the case I presented.

The only remedy for me to do is to share this experience with the community and hope no one will fall for the scam ever.

If you had read the SCAM section more often and on a regular basis, the whole situation could've been prevented since this is a ten years-old overpayment scam (44 pages , 11 000 words).

The "real" bad person could be from anywhere in this world. He/she/they bought the narrative on the dark web and sent it to hundreds of people.

Stay safe,
lee

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
philgoddard

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:31
English to Czech
+ ...
Reading doesn't hurt Feb 26, 2020

shihpw wrote:

Even better "remedy" would be to READ this forum before you write or indeed before you had any experience to share.
And btw. your clients are not your "employers".

Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Financial fraud Feb 26, 2020

I nip problems like this in the bud telling prospective clients that "checks are not accepted, only bank wire transfer and PayPal". This policy could save translators a lot of grief.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Robert Forstag
Dan Lucas

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:31
English to Czech
+ ...
No title Feb 26, 2020

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

... since this is a ten years-old overpayment scam (44 pages , 11 000 words).

I have read somewhere (this forum?) that the overpayment scam was already making rounds in the pre-internet era, by means of snail post. So probably as old as checks.

Liviu-Lee Roth
philgoddard
Dan Lucas

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
You say you didn't suffer any financial loss... Feb 28, 2020

Surely you did, unless your bank let you keep the money even though the check bounced.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don't fall for the financial fraud

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »