Laurela Bruka
Laurela Bruka  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:08
German to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2020

Hi

Today i received an email request for translation from English to German.
This was the response i got:

"Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 25th of April 20
... See more
Hi

Today i received an email request for translation from English to German.
This was the response i got:

"Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 25th of April 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will received the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards"

I reported it to Proz for spam. This is so annoying because you waste time to answer them. I wonder if it is any option in Proz.com to make my profile not visible to the non-users. Any insight please. Thank you
Collapse

Giang Nam Nguyen
Thomas Walls

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Dear Laurela Apr 17, 2020

This scam has very little to do with Proz. It just happened to get it through Proz. I received the same message on my phone via Messages, on my e-mail through ATA, etc.
The best way to deal with it is to ignore it, do not engage the scammer and delete the message immediately.
It should not surprise you if you receive a cashiers check via FedEx. It is fake.

Stay safe,
lee

[Edited at 2020-04-17 16:29 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Katarzyna Slowikova
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Giang Nam Nguyen
Laura Kingdon

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:08
Danish to English
+ ...
How would that help? Apr 17, 2020

It's not exactly difficult for a scammer to create a Proz profile, so how would it help to hide your profile from non-users?

The thing is that scammers target recently registered Proz users, presumably thinking these users are easier to cheat.

It's unfortunately something you have to live with for a while. Just be vigilant. The best thing is to simply ignore such requests and move on. If it's a Proz user, do report them.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kevin Fulton
Giang Nam Nguyen
Laura Kingdon

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:08
English to Czech
+ ...
whatever Apr 17, 2020

Laurela Bruka wrote:

This is so annoying because you waste time to answer them.

You wouldn't, if you put the body text into google. I know it almost by heart just by reading this forum every now and then. It's been copy pasted here thousand times.

I wonder if it is any option in Proz.com to make my profile not visible to the non-users.

You can make it impossible for a non-user (somebody who's not logged in, presumably because they don't have a profile) to contact you. It's somewhere there in the settings.

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

It's not exactly difficult for a scammer to create a Proz profile, so how would it help to hide your profile from non-users?

The point isn't to make it impossible for a scammer to contact you but to make it a bit more difficult. If there's enough Proz users who allow non-logged in visitors to contact them, the scammers will of course contact those people. A while ago, it was the same with the ID-theft scam - the scammers would go for editable CVs (of which there probably still are plenty), so having your CV in pdf (or even better as a scan - if you insist on making them available online) would make you much safer.
This is a general rule - make it more difficult for scammers and they'll largely leave you alone. They will always have enough easy victims to scam.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:08
Danish to English
+ ...
Difficult Apr 17, 2020

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

The point isn't to make it impossible for a scammer to contact you but to make it a bit more difficult.

If you delete your profile, it would be even more difficult for scammers to contact you.

Of course, it would also be more difficult for certain clients to contact you, which is the whole purpose of having a profile in the first place. So you have to weigh up if it's more important to get slightly fewer scam emails (it may take a few seconds to delete them) or to ensure you don't risk blocking any clients.

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

If there's enough Proz users who allow non-logged in visitors to contact them, the scammers will of course contact those people. A while ago, it was the same with the ID-theft scam - the scammers would go for editable CVs (of which there probably still are plenty), so having your CV in pdf (or even better as a scan - if you insist on making them available online) would make you much safer.
This is a general rule - make it more difficult for scammers and they'll largely leave you alone. They will always have enough easy victims to scam.

I rarely get any scam e-mails and I don't block contacts. But my CV is not public, as it would be too easy to abuse it.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Scammer Apr 17, 2020

You can nip this scammer in the bud by saying you do not accept checks but only bank wire transfer or PayPal. They will go scurrying back into the woodwork.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Be aware of scams

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »