Maria Tokatjian
Maria Tokatjian
United States
Local time: 08:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 21, 2020

Hi All,

I've just started translating and yesterday I received an email inquiring about my availability to translate a presentation. I told him I was available, and provided my rates. He then asked me for my information so he could send me a check for payment. I gave him my info (I've only given him my full name, address and phone number).

But something clicked and I had a feeling this sounded weird. I went online and searched for "ProZ scams" and it matches the overpa
... See more
Hi All,

I've just started translating and yesterday I received an email inquiring about my availability to translate a presentation. I told him I was available, and provided my rates. He then asked me for my information so he could send me a check for payment. I gave him my info (I've only given him my full name, address and phone number).

But something clicked and I had a feeling this sounded weird. I went online and searched for "ProZ scams" and it matches the overpayment scam.

I'm glad I caught this before cashing the check or anything. But I'm worried about the personal information I have given the scammer (name, address and phone number).

Do you guys think I should worry about that? Can the scammer steal/do something with the info I've given him? Has anyone been through this before?

Thanks for the help.

[Edited at 2020-04-21 02:45 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:24
Danish to English
+ ...
I wouldn't worry Apr 21, 2020

Name, address and phone number is not enough information for identity theft and other crime.

Just don't cash the cheque, which is probably for a large amount.

I presume this 'client' was using an unverifiable Gmail address or similar. Always do some due diligence before engaging with prospective clients and verify that their email address belongs to the company they claim (look in the email headers too).

Walter Landesman
Thayenga
Liviu-Lee Roth
Hedwig Spitzer (X)
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Katarzyna Slowikova

Maria Tokatjian
Maria Tokatjian
United States
Local time: 08:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More Careful Apr 21, 2020

Thank you, Thomas. I feel more relieved now. I will be more diligent and careful in the future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam - Help

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »