Thread poster: Diane G
Diane G
Diane G  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 29, 2020

I received a request for translation through Proz, from a VoIP number in Alabama, person has a hotmail account. He is not registered on this site. He asked for a translation of two documents from Spanish to English.
Clue 1. He asked for my bank routing information and/or address to send a check, saying he would pay 50% up front.
Clue 2. He signed and returned an estimate after midnight then was impatient for a response around 7AM.
Clue 3. When I replied that I only use PayPal
... See more
I received a request for translation through Proz, from a VoIP number in Alabama, person has a hotmail account. He is not registered on this site. He asked for a translation of two documents from Spanish to English.
Clue 1. He asked for my bank routing information and/or address to send a check, saying he would pay 50% up front.
Clue 2. He signed and returned an estimate after midnight then was impatient for a response around 7AM.
Clue 3. When I replied that I only use PayPal and sent him an invoice and asked for confirmation of his address I heard nothing back. I followed up and nothing.
Clue 4. The documents requested are actually fairly well-known articles in English:

- The income inequality of France in historical perspective, published by Cambridge Press and others.
- Education and Economic Growth: From the 19th to the 21st Century, published by Cisco and others.

Be on the alert for this request, friends.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Aline Amorim

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Voice telephone call Jun 1, 2020

I almost always make a voice telephone call with a new potential customer. I also check them out on the Blue Board and Google.

I do it on the other end with new potential translators. I want to have a little personal contact, and hear their language ability.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM ALERT

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »