Surprisingly Fancy Scam - "Globallink/REV Translation"
Thread poster: Trudy Stull
Trudy Stull
Trudy Stull  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:24
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
First Email I received from this scammer after filling out the "application" Jun 30, 2020

For context, rates were not part of the discussion since the rates were advertised on the (fraudulent) application form. Furthermore, I also work with companies where the PMs I work with don't necessarily speak English as their first language, so the occasional minor error in spelling/grammar/syntax etc. doesn't necessarily raise a ton of flags for me in and of themselves.

The following is the first email I got from this scammer concerning the fake job:

"What’s your
... See more
For context, rates were not part of the discussion since the rates were advertised on the (fraudulent) application form. Furthermore, I also work with companies where the PMs I work with don't necessarily speak English as their first language, so the occasional minor error in spelling/grammar/syntax etc. doesn't necessarily raise a ton of flags for me in and of themselves.

The following is the first email I got from this scammer concerning the fake job:

"What’s your availability for the months of June, July?

RESPONSIBILITIES

· Translate video or audio recordings by either word or voice from one language to others as the requirement.

· Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone

· Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations

· Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check quality of translation

· Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy

· Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure)

· Translates online, video, and television media by providing subtitles

· Translates a variety of documents including literary, legal, research, technical, scientific, educational, and commercial materials

You will require bespoke applications software for highly specialized translation with efficiency and consistency.

Note that we would make provision for you to acquire such software without involving any of your personal funds."
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:24
Danish to English
+ ...
Written as a job ad Jun 30, 2020

It's written as a job ad, not as an outsourcer looking for a freelancer. It's very vague with respect to the specific task that needs to be accomplished. These things are signs that it's someone who doesn't know the ropes in our business.

It does occasionally happen that a small outsourcer uses Gmail or another public email domain. It isn't always a scam. But in such a case, one should look up the company they claim to represent, find its domain through credible sources, look up its
... See more
It's written as a job ad, not as an outsourcer looking for a freelancer. It's very vague with respect to the specific task that needs to be accomplished. These things are signs that it's someone who doesn't know the ropes in our business.

It does occasionally happen that a small outsourcer uses Gmail or another public email domain. It isn't always a scam. But in such a case, one should look up the company they claim to represent, find its domain through credible sources, look up its website and reply using the email address or other contact method shown at the website.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:24
English to French
Monster hybridation Jul 1, 2020

Trudy Stull wrote:
RESPONSIBILITIES
· Translate video or audio recordings by either word or voice from one language to others as the requirement.
· Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone
· Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations
· Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check quality of translation
· Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy
· Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure)
· Translates online, video, and television media by providing subtitles
· Translates a variety of documents including literary, legal, research, technical, scientific, educational, and commercial materials

Plagiarism from
https://www.monster.co.uk/advertise-a-job/hr-resources/hr-strategies/job-descriptions/translator-job-description/
https://resources.workable.com/translator-job-description

I suspect most of the blurb is extracted from search hits after typing "translator job description" in a browser.
At least an effort was made to mix sources of inspiration.

Philippe

Elena Feriani
Liviu-Lee Roth
Jessica Noyes
Katarzyna Slowikova

Maria Vicentini
Maria Vicentini
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your Fancy scam again Aug 2020 Aug 19, 2020

I just reported them on Linkedin.
They contacted me via Linkedin. 'Rev Translation Services' - email:
[email protected] - Laura Norton
The same application page I was linked to before receiving the first email
https://lnkd.in/d8QAhGd
They have a pretty official-looking email signature with a graphic. I go
... See more
I just reported them on Linkedin.
They contacted me via Linkedin. 'Rev Translation Services' - email:
[email protected] - Laura Norton
The same application page I was linked to before receiving the first email
https://lnkd.in/d8QAhGd
They have a pretty official-looking email signature with a graphic. I got a check in the mail for $2,150 that I needed to deposit so that I can buy a particular laptop that will supposedly have all the software uploaded, and as payment for my first assignment that I had yet to receive. Red flag, you think? Took the check to the alleged issuing bank and of course, it was fraudulent.
Just so you know. #Linkedin
Collapse

Alisa Newman
Alisa Newman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:24
Member (2020)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I had the same experience Sep 11, 2020

I received the same communication from "Rev Translation Services" and was alerted to this thread by a fellow Proz member. So beware, it's still going on!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Surprisingly Fancy Scam - "Globallink/REV Translation"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »