https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/187961-multiterm_sp3_wont_open_any_tb.html

Multiterm SP3 wont open any TB
Thread poster: Neila Carneiro-Winrow
Neila Carneiro-Winrow
Neila Carneiro-Winrow  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 20, 2010

Hello everyone,

I have bought Studio SP3 and since its installation MultiTerm opens but it does not allow me to open any TB, even those I create, when it gets to the end it gives me this message:

"This term base cannot be opened because it has been created with an unsupported version of MultiTerm"

After reading similar issues and its possible fixes here I have downloaded several patches from SDL website with no success, to the contrary. I had a major probl
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have bought Studio SP3 and since its installation MultiTerm opens but it does not allow me to open any TB, even those I create, when it gets to the end it gives me this message:

"This term base cannot be opened because it has been created with an unsupported version of MultiTerm"

After reading similar issues and its possible fixes here I have downloaded several patches from SDL website with no success, to the contrary. I had a major problem and could not even open Studio.

Information:

OS is XP
I have all C++ and Java required
I don't have prior versions installed
I have removed and reinstalled all programs several times... MultiTerm Core and Side by Side seem to be the ones causing this.
I have tried side by side tools from its folder. I manually cleaned registry after removing and before reinstalling.

While running repair 2009:All runs well until last 2 itens.

Problem executing command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /f {A1CC3003-50E3-4EBA-965A-377250B576BF} /l*v "C:\Arquivos de programas\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTermSideBySide\Reinstalling 2009 core.log"

Problem executing command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /f {6416EEE2-6332-45FC-B63B-8E14F8A73991} /l*v "C:\Arquivos de programas\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTermSideBySide\Reinstalling Studio 2009.log"

Customer portal tells me that a (semi colon) is the reason for the message and to remove the ampersand or semi colon from the folder name within the folder path where the termbase is stored.

Still, MultiTerm wont open it's own samples...

Any suggestions? Pleaseeee

[Edited at 2010-12-20 12:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-20 12:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-20 13:42 GMT]
Collapse

Neila Carneiro-Winrow
Neila Carneiro-Winrow  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Dec 22, 2010

Ok, with help from Panchenko Viktor I was able to work it out.
He told me that most MT issues is regarding Java.

Therefore I removed all Java from my machine> removed MT >cleaned registry > reboot > installed MT again (Java is included) and before running I unchecked box "Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in" from Java Control Panel's tab Advanced > settings > plug-in.

It is working fine now!!

Thanks Panchenko!

Alison High
Alison High  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:45
French to English
+ ...
Just in case.... Mar 2, 2011

I got this same error message:

I assumed it was a java conflict problem, since I had loads of java elements on my PC.... SDK runtime and updates.

I uninstalled Java and all multiterm components and re-installed them TWICE.

I still got the error message.

The problem was I was trying to load the XML

This is what
... See more
I got this same error message:

I assumed it was a java conflict problem, since I had loads of java elements on my PC.... SDK runtime and updates.

I uninstalled Java and all multiterm components and re-installed them TWICE.

I still got the error message.

The problem was I was trying to load the XML

This is what I SHOULD have done:

1) open multiterm
2) create a new termbase
3) click on "Load an existing termbase definition file"
4) select the .xdt

then

5) go to the catalogue tab (bottom left)
6) click on the new term base
7) click on input
8) move over to the right-hand side of the window and double click on default definition
9) select the xml file
NOW you have a .sdltm with the terms in it that CAN be loaded into Trados

It may be worth checking that you're doing this bit right before you spend hours uninstalling and reinstalling java and multiterm
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
incredible Mar 3, 2011

It is incredible that, at SP3 stage, SDL Studio 2009 has so many problems and no clear problem documentation and obliges every linguist to become a debugger!

On my own side I have the same configuration as Neila (for 1 month) and I cannot yet use multiterm or auto-suggest.

The training sessions don't answer such questions (they don't go to this level of detail).

I have a two pages list of actions to do to begin starting auto-suggest (from SDL support), but
... See more
It is incredible that, at SP3 stage, SDL Studio 2009 has so many problems and no clear problem documentation and obliges every linguist to become a debugger!

On my own side I have the same configuration as Neila (for 1 month) and I cannot yet use multiterm or auto-suggest.

The training sessions don't answer such questions (they don't go to this level of detail).

I have a two pages list of actions to do to begin starting auto-suggest (from SDL support), but anyway it can't be active before I have a 25 000 TUs TM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I waste my time in typing repetitions, which I shouldn't.

Good luck to you

[Edited at 2011-03-03 13:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-03 13:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-03 13:59 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
MultiTerm Repair tool in KB article #3420 Mar 4, 2011

Dear Marie and all,

We have updated our Solution Finders on http://kb.sdl.com/index.aspx?t=sf and it includes the issue you are reporting here:

Download and Installation Problems
The installation went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program.
I have just installed (an update of) SDL MultiTerm, and now I see several
... See more
Dear Marie and all,

We have updated our Solution Finders on http://kb.sdl.com/index.aspx?t=sf and it includes the issue you are reporting here:

Download and Installation Problems
The installation went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program.
I have just installed (an update of) SDL MultiTerm, and now I see several issues with my SDL software.
I have installed (an update of) SDL MultiTerm 2009 SP3.

Please refer to the following KB article:

Articles :

# 3420 Various error messages after installing SDL MultiTerm 2009 SP3 (+ Cumulative Update 8/9)

If the tool does not help, you are routed to a web form to report the issue to our Support team.

Best regards,
Judith

[Edited at 2011-03-04 09:46 GMT]
Collapse

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:45
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2011

[Edited at 2011-04-08 11:24 GMT]

pmakinen
pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:45
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Multiterm 2011 Procedure Much the Same Jan 18, 2013

Alison High wrote:

This is what I SHOULD have done:

1) open multiterm
2) create a new termbase
3) click on "Load an existing termbase definition file"
4) select the .xdt

then

5) go to the catalogue tab (bottom left)
6) click on the new term base
7) click on input
8) move over to the right-hand side of the window and double click on default definition
9) select the xml file
NOW you have a .sdltm with the terms in it that CAN be loaded into Trados

It may be worth checking that you're doing this bit right before you spend hours uninstalling and reinstalling java and multiterm

The procedure is still much the same in Multiterm 2011. Thanks for your clear description!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm SP3 wont open any TB

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »