Marking internal fuzzies
Thread poster: J M A
J M A
J M A
Spain
Local time: 17:46
Apr 5, 2016

Hello,

I am doing research on internal fuzzies and I would like to make you a question:

Does anyone know if there is any way to mark internal fuzzies on SDL?

I have found the tool PhraseMiner that is a set of macros that extract the internal fuzzies from a source file into a new Word document. It is not what I am looking for, but at a certain point this may be useful. Does anyone use this tool?

Thank you,

JMA.

[Edited at 201
... See more
Hello,

I am doing research on internal fuzzies and I would like to make you a question:

Does anyone know if there is any way to mark internal fuzzies on SDL?

I have found the tool PhraseMiner that is a set of macros that extract the internal fuzzies from a source file into a new Word document. It is not what I am looking for, but at a certain point this may be useful. Does anyone use this tool?

Thank you,

JMA.

[Edited at 2016-04-05 08:21 GMT]
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
What's an internal fuzzy? Apr 5, 2016

??

J M A
J M A
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
Internal fuzzy meaning Apr 5, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

??

"An internal fuzzy match is a fuzzy match that is found within the source document you are translating. So, for example, if the first sentence in the document you are translating is "John went to the store." and the last sentence is "John went to the store again." you have an internal fuzzy match. The fuzzy match isn't coming from your translation memory, but from the current document you are translating."

https://www.tm-town.com/blog/the-fuzziness-of-fuzzy-matches

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
So a no match until I translate it Apr 5, 2016

The reason I ask is because I've come across some PMs who create an empty TM to mark up internal fuzzy matches to discount the price of a job by considering no matches (as there is non match until I've translated it) fuzzy matches.

Do you think this is a professional way of using a CAT tool?

J M A
J M A
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
No, it is not. Apr 5, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

The reason I ask is because I've come across some PMs who create an empty TM to mark up internal fuzzy matches to discount the price of a job by considering no matches (as there is non match until I've translated it) fuzzy matches.

Do you think this is a professional way of using a CAT tool?

I wrote from a company which also suffers what you say, but from our clients. I want to mark internal fuzzies in order to be properly paid.

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Unfortunately this is possible Apr 5, 2016

You can check the option 'Report internal fuzzy match leverage' under Batch processing -> Analyze files (Studio 2015).

I completely object to this function, but in the race to the bottom translation agencies will do anything (and probably raise their margins by unchecking this option when analyzing files for their quote for the end customer).

[Bijgewerkt op 2016-04-05 11:15 GMT]

J M A
J M A
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but... Apr 7, 2016

Thank you for your answers.

I know how to use this function when analyzing files, but what I want to know if there is any way or any tool for highlighting these segments in the translation.

Thanks.

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 18:46
English to Russian
+ ...
a way to highlight internal fuzzies Sep 25, 2020

such highlighting is implemented partially in some tools (don't want to go into the details of it for obvious reasons), but the answer to the question is NO, this is not yet a feature in any CAT tool.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marking internal fuzzies

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »