Can't I delete a newly added target language from a project?
Thread poster: Christian Schmidt
Oct 24, 2018

Hello,

I want to delete a target language from my project which I added retroactively into the project. I did not let any files be created for that target language.
If I go into the project settings and go to the language pair settings I see all my project languages listed. I could potentially add new languages, however If
I select a language that already is in my project, the "delete" button in the options stays grayed out. Why?

Thanks a lot for any help!... See more
Hello,

I want to delete a target language from my project which I added retroactively into the project. I did not let any files be created for that target language.
If I go into the project settings and go to the language pair settings I see all my project languages listed. I could potentially add new languages, however If
I select a language that already is in my project, the "delete" button in the options stays grayed out. Why?

Thanks a lot for any help!

(I had English US and added English British for test reasons). I want to get rid of Englisch British so the folders stay clean.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:35
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It might be easier to start a whole new project Oct 24, 2018

Hello, and welcome to Proz.com

If there is no immediate easy solution, I think I would start a whole new project. It is sometimes quicker and easier than trying to poke about in options and settings.

I have never had the same problem, I admit, but I have used that solution for other reasons.

Don't worry if you have already started translating. Everything will be in the TM, and you can very quickly get to the point you had reached before.

You wi
... See more
Hello, and welcome to Proz.com

If there is no immediate easy solution, I think I would start a whole new project. It is sometimes quicker and easier than trying to poke about in options and settings.

I have never had the same problem, I admit, but I have used that solution for other reasons.

Don't worry if you have already started translating. Everything will be in the TM, and you can very quickly get to the point you had reached before.

You will have to give the new project a slightly different name, or Studio will simply tell you that you already have a project with that name, and you will not get any further.

Good luck!
Collapse

Christian Schmidt
Christian Schmidt
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
maybe there is a better solution Oct 25, 2018

Hello Christine,

thank you for your answer. If nothing else will work, I guess I'll go that route. However if anyone comes up with an easier solution, I'll gladly take it.
I'd love to avoid to set up a whole new project. I think somehow it actually should be possible to take out a chosen target language.

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Edit the SDLPROJ with an editor Oct 26, 2018

You can edit SDLPROJ file with Notepad (or any other text editor) and remove anything between

Christian Schmidt

Christian Schmidt
Christian Schmidt
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
it worked Oct 26, 2018

Thanks NeoAtlas, it worked with editing it out of the editor. I wonder if so little people need to do this that there actually isn't a proper function for that in studio itself.

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Glad it worked! Oct 27, 2018

Glad it worked for you even if my post was cut-off with the specific parts to be deleted. Proz doesn't like tags!
I don't know the reason why it is not implemented in Studio, but a project is not going to last forever and you can delete the files in the offending target language folder at any time. Just guessing…
Project templates is different matter and indeed you can delete target languages in project templates.
Have a nice weekend!
… Jesús Prieto …

Marina Torruella Bonsoms
Marina Torruella Bonsoms  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:35
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
RE: Edit the SDLPROJ with an editor Jun 11, 2019

Hi there,

I have the same issue, and I have tried opening the file with Notepad but it's not obvious to me which parts have to be deleted... Could you help?

Thanks in advance!

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Backup & test Jun 12, 2019

1. Create a copy of the SDLPROJ (just copy & paste in File Explorer)
2. Open it in Notepad or Notepad++
3. Search for the target language code you need to delete, like "en-US"
4. Delete from [minor than character]LanguageDirection
up to [minor than character]/LanguageDirection> (both strings included)
5. Save it
6. Test if it works in Studio
7. If it works, fine! Otherwise, delete this edited SDLPROJ and re-start with step 1. Always work wi
... See more
1. Create a copy of the SDLPROJ (just copy & paste in File Explorer)
2. Open it in Notepad or Notepad++
3. Search for the target language code you need to delete, like "en-US"
4. Delete from [minor than character]LanguageDirection
up to [minor than character]/LanguageDirection> (both strings included)
5. Save it
6. Test if it works in Studio
7. If it works, fine! Otherwise, delete this edited SDLPROJ and re-start with step 1. Always work with a backup.

PS1: You may find mores instances of the target language, ie, in the Termbase section. Yo may need to delete them as well, so you can try. Remember to delete full sections, from the opening tag to the ending tag.
PS2: [minor than character] is the character minor than < . PROZ deletes them so I had to depicte them somehow.

[Edited at 2019-06-12 06:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-12 06:06 GMT]
Collapse

Marina Torruella Bonsoms
Marina Torruella Bonsoms  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:35
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It worked! Jun 24, 2019

Hi,

Sorry I didn't see your reply for a while!

Removing just the Language Direction tag worked for me! Which is a relief, because there were many other instances of the language code.

Thanks a lot for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't I delete a newly added target language from a project?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »