About to switch from Déjà Vu to Trados Looking for translators who have done it & willing to help
Thread poster: laure claesen
laure claesen
laure claesen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:22
Member (2005)
English to French
Apr 15, 2020

Hi,
With the Covid crisis, I have a bit more time to embark on that project of learning how to use Trados after using Déjà Vu for 15 years.
I managed to remain with Déjà Vu all that time but it would seem that the need to be a Trados user is becoming too compelling and I cannot resist any longer. I must do this conversion.
I have downloaded a trial version of Trados 2019 and started to try and use it.
However, I am encountering problems at every step and would need to
... See more
Hi,
With the Covid crisis, I have a bit more time to embark on that project of learning how to use Trados after using Déjà Vu for 15 years.
I managed to remain with Déjà Vu all that time but it would seem that the need to be a Trados user is becoming too compelling and I cannot resist any longer. I must do this conversion.
However, I am encountering problems at every step and would need to get in touch with colleagues who have been in my shoes a while ago and would be willing to help me. Perhaps this can be done for a fee, should you feel that 'business is business' and 'you never get anything for free'?
One first question at this stage:
I tried to do some editing work on a file sent by my client. But the file apparently was Read Only and none of the editing features/track changes were available.
Is it because I am using the trial version?
Thank you!
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I may be able to help - using both Dejavu and Trados Apr 15, 2020

laure claesen wrote:

Hi,
However, I am encountering problems at every step and would need to get in touch with colleagues who have been in my shoes a while ago and would be willing to help me. Perhaps this can be done for a fee, should you feel that 'business is business' and 'you never get anything for free'?
One first question at this stage:
I tried to do some editing work on a file sent by my client. But the file apparently was Read Only and none of the editing features/track changes were available.
Is it because I am using the trial version?
Thank you!

I cannot help you just now, but will come back to you later on.

Roy

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Trial version Apr 16, 2020

Regarding the trial version, I don't know it well enough to know what limitations there are. You may want to check if the website of SDL gives some information there.

Regarding work, what I do, is that I import the sdlxliff files into Dejavu and work on them there. Then afterwards I open the Studio project and check that everything seems to work fine. I much prefer to work in Dejavu than Studio, probably because I am so used to the shortcuts etc. Also often Dejavu can split up segme
... See more
Regarding the trial version, I don't know it well enough to know what limitations there are. You may want to check if the website of SDL gives some information there.

Regarding work, what I do, is that I import the sdlxliff files into Dejavu and work on them there. Then afterwards I open the Studio project and check that everything seems to work fine. I much prefer to work in Dejavu than Studio, probably because I am so used to the shortcuts etc. Also often Dejavu can split up segments with multiple lines to make the translation process easier.

So I find having a license for Dejavu, Studio and memoQ gives the best working environment for me, at least. So no need to move from Dejavu to Studio in my oppinion.

But others would of course prefer to do the whole work in Studio instead. I am not among those, though.

Roy
Collapse

Matthias Brombach

Olav Karlsen
Olav Karlsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Transition from DVX3 to Trados Apr 21, 2020

I remember the issues I encountered importing XLIFF files into DVX3. The files were simple enough, DOCX documents with some paragraphs and footnotes.

After completing the translation, paying close attention to placing the tags at the right places, I sent them back to the client. Almost immediately I got them back, since the client was unable to open them. Of course I looked through the bilingual files in DVX3 to see if I had made a tag blunder, but everything looked fine. I tried t
... See more
I remember the issues I encountered importing XLIFF files into DVX3. The files were simple enough, DOCX documents with some paragraphs and footnotes.

After completing the translation, paying close attention to placing the tags at the right places, I sent them back to the client. Almost immediately I got them back, since the client was unable to open them. Of course I looked through the bilingual files in DVX3 to see if I had made a tag blunder, but everything looked fine. I tried to open the exported DOCX files to have a look at the problem, but they were impossible to repair.

Since I had a Trados licence, I found that I could export the Deja Vu TMX into a Trados text memory, and make my corrections there. In the Trados editor I found most entries were identical, only a few tag errors had to be checked. To sum it up, the checkup was done in a few minutes, and I never heard of any compatibility issues again.

More than once I have translated in DVX3, and exported the TMX to Trados for last-minute checkup. With access to machine translation, I find that since Trados 2017, work goes just as smooth there, and I rarely ever use DVX3 any more.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
What type of xliff? Apr 21, 2020

Olav Karlsen wrote:

Since I had a Trados licence, I found that I could export the Deja Vu TMX into a Trados text memory, and make my corrections there. In the Trados editor I found most entries were identical, only a few tag errors had to be checked. To sum it up, the checkup was done in a few minutes, and I never heard of any compatibility issues again.

More than once I have translated in DVX3, and exported the TMX to Trados for last-minute checkup. With access to machine translation, I find that since Trados 2017, work goes just as smooth there, and I rarely ever use DVX3 any more.

I am a little curious what type of xliff file this was, as there are regretably different flavours of xliff files. I take it the client sent you the xliff files so that they could import the translation directly into their CAT tool.

It seems to me that going the tmx route with Studio seems somewhat roundabout. What I would do, would be to import the xliff files into Studio, importing the Studio sdlxliff file (in the nb-NO folder in my case as a Norwegian) into Dejavu. Translate it there (and of course check that the codes are there and in the right place), and then copy the translated sdlxliff file back into the nb-NO folder, thereby replacing the original sdlxliff file.

Then I would, of course, run a Verify in Studio to get an extra check that everything is fine - and perhaps even export the original docx documents to see that they work fine.

I could do something similar with memoQ - I prefer the QA utility in memoQ over Dejavu. Even Studio is better. Though I have lately discovered that xBench is a good utility to check the translation I do in Dejavu. I really hope Atril does something with the QA utility, since I find it is not very nice compared to other CAT tools, especially memoQ.

Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About to switch from Déjà Vu to Trados Looking for translators who have done it & willing to help

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »