Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:42
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2020

Hello,

I have a problem I hope you could help me with.

I have translated a long Word file using Studio 2017. After cleaning (Save as), I cannot open the file. Word indicates the file cannot be opened because there is a problem with its content.

"Unspecified error. Location: Part:/word/document.xml, Line2,Column 216184."

I just tried creating a new project in a second computer, by using the same tm, but the result is the same. The resulting Wo
... See more
Hello,

I have a problem I hope you could help me with.

I have translated a long Word file using Studio 2017. After cleaning (Save as), I cannot open the file. Word indicates the file cannot be opened because there is a problem with its content.

"Unspecified error. Location: Part:/word/document.xml, Line2,Column 216184."

I just tried creating a new project in a second computer, by using the same tm, but the result is the same. The resulting Word file cannot be opened. The source Word file seems ok. I also tried renaming the file and recreating the project in Studio. Nothing works.

I have not altered any tag. I wonder if this might be related to the TOC.

Have you ever experienced a similar problem? What can I do? My client needs a clean Word file...

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Blanca
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Docx to doc Jul 24, 2020

Have you tried saving the file as doc, if it is a docx one, or vice-versa, before importing in Studio? You will resave it back to the original format after finalisation.

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 03:42
English to Polish
+ ...
DOC to RTF first Jul 25, 2020

Hello

I think someone wrote about that before. Prior to translation try to save the file as RTF file, and only then do the translation.

If it does not help try to look for the solution at Trados forum, as I am sure someone had the same issue.

K.

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:42
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Convert the source file Jul 25, 2020

I agree with Ekterina, try to save the source file as an RTF or PDF or even TXT retranslate and than restore the original format.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:42
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
You need to correct the error Jul 25, 2020

Getting the error notification means that you need to run the verification and correct the error. Have you done this?

Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:42
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Aug 4, 2020

Hi all,

The problem was solved. I changed file definitions in SDL Studio. One of the Word options was deselected. I just checkmarked that option and then recreated the project with the tm. When I tried to save as target, it worked.

There were no errors when running the verification in Studio. Trying to repair the file in Word did not work. The format was complicated so any options that implied changing the format could worsen the problem.

Thank you all for
... See more
Hi all,

The problem was solved. I changed file definitions in SDL Studio. One of the Word options was deselected. I just checkmarked that option and then recreated the project with the tm. When I tried to save as target, it worked.

There were no errors when running the verification in Studio. Trying to repair the file in Word did not work. The format was complicated so any options that implied changing the format could worsen the problem.

Thank you all for your help! Much appreciated!
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:42
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Probably corrupted XML markup around an image, try opening in WordPad to find the offending element Aug 4, 2020

I feel your pain, as this has happened to me. Here is what worked in my situation:
Try opening the file in WordPad. There is a good chance that it may open it, but only to a certain location (the remainder of the file will be blank). The point at which WordPad "chokes" will indicate the error point. This is usually an image. Delete the offending image from the original Word file (and perhaps a little bit of text before and after for good measure), save, retranslate, export (hopefully with
... See more
I feel your pain, as this has happened to me. Here is what worked in my situation:
Try opening the file in WordPad. There is a good chance that it may open it, but only to a certain location (the remainder of the file will be blank). The point at which WordPad "chokes" will indicate the error point. This is usually an image. Delete the offending image from the original Word file (and perhaps a little bit of text before and after for good measure), save, retranslate, export (hopefully without issue) and add the missing image (and text, if any) back in manually.

Good luck!
ED: I see you resolved it, good! I'll leave my post as it may help someone else.

[Edited at 2020-08-04 19:27 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:42
English to Russian
Which option? Aug 4, 2020

Blanca Amoroso wrote:
The problem was solved. I changed file definitions in SDL Studio. One of the Word options was deselected. I just checkmarked that option

Why not add just one more word as to which option you changed so that others could do the same if need be?

Jorge Payan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 02:42
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I am going to guess... Aug 8, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Blanca Amoroso wrote:
The problem was solved. I changed file definitions in SDL Studio. One of the Word options was deselected. I just checkmarked that option

Why not add just one more word as to which option you changed so that others could do the same if need be?

Pherhaps Bianca wanted to say that one the Microsoft versions shown in "File Types - Project Settings" was unmarked, and probably this was causing the problem.

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem to open a clean Word file after translation in Studio 2017

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »