Trados taking forever to load (min. 20 minutes)
Thread poster: Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:31
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Aug 6, 2020

I’ve been experiencing lately quite an annoying problem with Studio 2019: it takes it forever to load. And, when I say ‘forever’, I do mean it: MINIMUM 20-30 MINUTES TO START. Minimum! For the time being, it doesn’t happen absolutely every time, but -of course- it happens when I am most pressed by deadlines.
Another annoyingly time-wasting ‘feature’ is when switching from Editor view to Translation Memory view, which can also take forever, forcing me squander precious time whic
... See more
I’ve been experiencing lately quite an annoying problem with Studio 2019: it takes it forever to load. And, when I say ‘forever’, I do mean it: MINIMUM 20-30 MINUTES TO START. Minimum! For the time being, it doesn’t happen absolutely every time, but -of course- it happens when I am most pressed by deadlines.
Another annoyingly time-wasting ‘feature’ is when switching from Editor view to Translation Memory view, which can also take forever, forcing me squander precious time which I don’t have.

If Trados has no intention whatsoever to make my work and life easier, I would appreciate it if they just let me know! I will ask for my money back (I already paid for the 2021 upgrade), and we will be done! It is as simple as that.

I don’t see any reasons for this to happen at my end. Is there anyone is facing the same problem, too?
Collapse

Ulrich Schramm

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:31
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Not normal behaviour. Aug 7, 2020

Kalinka Hristova wrote:

Another annoyingly time-wasting ‘feature’ is when switching from Editor view to Translation Memory view, which can also take forever, forcing me squander precious time which I don’t have.

Normal is that it starts in a few seconds so this definitely is not normal behaviour. Is it only Trados that behaves this way, or have you tried other programs to see how long they take? Not actually seeing your machine it's difficult to know what can cause this behaviour, but a few guesses:

- How much free space to you have on your PC? If the disk is beginning to fill up, then the Windows swap will have very little space to work on, which could slow down your programs quite a lot, not least Trados Studio.
I would run CCleaner (a free cleaning program, which is excellent. I have used it for years and have never had a problem with it).

- Perhaps you should try to uninstall Studio, clean the harddisk and then reinstall Studio. That will often help.

- You may consider changing the system disk on your PC to an SSD disk. It really speeds up things and an SSD disk, even one 0.5 TB one, isn't very expensive these days. But for that you probably need help, though there are some excellent cloning utilities which can help you clone the current disk.

- Could it be that you have problems with connecting to some server on the Internet that Studio wants to have access to?

- And of course: Is it possible you have got some malware on your machine that you don't know of? Perhaps you should try Malwarebytes, and excellent program that often will catch unwanted programs you don't really want to have on your PC, but which you don't know about. Often it can catch programs that your antivirus program doesn't. (It does not replace your normal antivirus program, but supplements it.)

I hope any of the above can help you. The first thing I would try at least would be running Ccleaner to free space on your disk and running Malwarebytes to check if there are any unwanted malware on it.
If that doesn't work, try reinstall Studio. And if that doesn't help, you may begin to evaluate some more drastic measures. Studio itself does not normally work that slow, so something is definitely off, but not necessarily with Studio, although it is suffering.

Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:31
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Not a normal behaviour, indeed... Aug 7, 2020

I've been using Trados for maybe 15 years or so, but 2019 was buggy since the beginning. Yet, it was kind of stable most of the time, and it started getting on my nerves (again) only lately. I guess the best/only thing I could do is reinstall it.
On my system SSD I have 70 GB, so it is not a matter of not having enough space, and I clean it on a regular basis, both manually and automatically.
As for malware, I hope I have none, but I need to double-check...

Ulrich Schramm

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:31
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Can't comment on 2019 but... Aug 7, 2020

I've seen it sometimes happening in 2017 when some of the features in Trados are turned on (like global glossaries) or something else running in the background of my system (Windows) that slows it down. After I unclick whatever that is, it is back to its normal speed. You have to figure out what it may be (if that's the case on your end). Best of luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados taking forever to load (min. 20 minutes)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »