Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:25
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 8, 2021

Is this the beginning of the end?
I got an e-mail telling me RWS bought Trados and they will start changing website and e-mail addresses.
Is this the beginning of the end of the product we bought?
Because, whatever they do, if the change the product, it won't be the product we bought.
Which means, whatever they do, we're always on the loosing end.

Elodie Bonnafous
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I hope so ... Apr 8, 2021

Peter Motte wrote:
Is this the beginning of the end of the product we bought?

... because it can't get any worse. The first measure should be to fire their current programmer.

Laurent Di Raimondo
Peter van der Hoek
Kunal Jaidka
Maurits Meulenbelt

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Sadly, you must be right Apr 8, 2021

There is no customer support anymore. I am facing a big technical issue right now (I cannot create projects anymore with SDL 2019), I find no solution, and I find out that there is no customer support anymore right now.

expressisverbis

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bad Apr 8, 2021

Elodie Bonnafous wrote:
There is no customer support anymore. I am facing a big technical issue right now (I cannot create projects anymore with SDL 2019), I find no solution, and I find out that there is no customer support anymore right now.

That's really bad.
We will be screwed.

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:25
English to Russian
Deja vu Apr 8, 2021

I've already read this "news" on 27 August 2020. Again?
Anyway, Trados GmbH was bought and sold several times. Why this particular time it must be apocalyptical?

Jorge Payan
expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Peter Apr 8, 2021

Peter Motte wrote:
...on the loosing end.

Let's wayt for Tom, shall we?

I got an e-mail telling me RWS bought Trados and they will start changing website and e-mail addresses.

Even if they completely can the product -- it doesn't change the value of the product that we bought. The worst that can happen is that development stops. But even if it does stop, I'm sure many agencies will continue to use it.

Stepan Konev
Jorge Payan
expressisverbis
Kay Denney
Marwa Seleem
Angie Garbarino

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Definitely Apr 8, 2021

It is totally in their interests to invest in a product and then destroy it.

Matthias Brombach

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Buy to destroy Apr 8, 2021

Sometimes a product is bought to destroy it. Sometimes compagnies buy other compagnies only to destroy them.

Recep Kurt
writeaway
Christopher Schröder
Teplocteur
expressisverbis
LIZ LI

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Let's wait ... Apr 8, 2021

Chris S wrote:

... what secret plans behind the buy soon will be disclosed by the Querdenker movement.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-08 18:18 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados is good Apr 8, 2021

But why to worry about it if there is memoQ out there?

Marijke Singer

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, but normally in different instances Apr 8, 2021

Peter Motte wrote:

Sometimes a product is bought to destroy it. Sometimes compagnies buy other compagnies only to destroy them.

That is (sometimes) true, and is what probably would happen if another CAT company had bought SDL. For example, when SDL bought Trados, eventually they merged their CAT tool (SDLX) with Trados’ CAT tool (Trados Workbench), but the resulting product (SDL Trados Studio) was distinctly a lot closer to SDLX than to Trados Workbench.

Note, however, than when SDL bought Trados, SDL’s own terminology tool disappeared, and the remaining one was Trados’ Multiterm.

My guess is that RWS (which does not have its own CAT tool) will keep SDL’s tools, merely renaming them (“RWS Trados” or “RWS Trados Studio”, probably).

I also guess that most new development will be towards an online tool, but that was already underway with SDL.

[Edited at 2021-04-08 22:50 GMT]

A. & S. Witte
Enza Esposito Degli Agli

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
We'll see Apr 9, 2021

The little fish keep getting eaten by bigger fish.

These CAT tools use the same gimmick as Windows and MS-Office. They overhaul the product every few years and millions of users have to go through yet another learning curve.

When Wordfast got bought out by a big fish about 5 years ago the feeling of the product changed markedly. You can feel a bureaucratic anonymity and certain bloatiness of their new products. They get to sell more when they keep updating the product I
... See more
The little fish keep getting eaten by bigger fish.

These CAT tools use the same gimmick as Windows and MS-Office. They overhaul the product every few years and millions of users have to go through yet another learning curve.

When Wordfast got bought out by a big fish about 5 years ago the feeling of the product changed markedly. You can feel a bureaucratic anonymity and certain bloatiness of their new products. They get to sell more when they keep updating the product I suppose.

I see weaknesses in these two products, making them vulnerable to others who seek market supremacy. I wonder if MemoQ could be the one.
Collapse

Marijke Singer

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Chris Apr 9, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Unfortunately (and unironically) this often happens in softwareland. We can all think of examples of favourite tools or services with enough users to make the company break even, which got sold and then stopped or dismantled when the buying company decided to apply a different minimum required profit margin.

An old example is Geocities: the service even made a small profit for its tens of millions of users, and its employees were not a burden on the company, but Yahoo (who bought it) decided that unless it makes an arbitrarily decided-upon bigger profit, they're going to shut it down... which is what they did. Google has also shut down entire services with millions of satisfied users and sustainable employment for many workers simply because it didn't make at least X% of profit. Closer to home, Deja Vu was acquired by a large translation agency a few years ago, and since then, all development seems to have stopped.

Teplocteur
Peter Motte
Kay Denney

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
OK, point taken, but... Apr 9, 2021

Is that likely with the market-leading product when they don’t have one of their own?

And with all CAT tools being interchangeable, would it matter that much if they did?

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remains bad Apr 9, 2021

I also guess that most new development will be towards an online tool, but that was already underway with SDL.[Edited at 2021-04-08 22:50 GMT]

Which would be a bad development.
We would be working to full up their MT's and TM's, and they will sell it behind or backs.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will RWS destroy Trados?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »