Failure to recognize Japanese terms with mixed orthography (MT7)
Thread poster: CELC Inc
CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 04:42
Japanese to English
+ ...
Apr 12, 2007

I have asked about a similar problem before, but never received any sort of satisfactory answer so I'm still struggling with the following issue:

Because years are often noted with reference to the emperor's reign in Japan rather than by the Gregorian calendar, and months are numbered not named, I have a TB I set up exclusively to do the menial calculation of Japanese dates for me.

For example:
Japanese: 平成10
Japanese: H10
English: 1998
<
... See more
I have asked about a similar problem before, but never received any sort of satisfactory answer so I'm still struggling with the following issue:

Because years are often noted with reference to the emperor's reign in Japan rather than by the Gregorian calendar, and months are numbered not named, I have a TB I set up exclusively to do the menial calculation of Japanese dates for me.

For example:
Japanese: 平成10
Japanese: H10
English: 1998

Japanese: 1月
English: January
English: Jan.

Of course, I have all of the years and months properly registered (I have triple-checked this!), and using the MT search interface in Word never fails to give me the result I want. However, Workbench's "term recognition" function never correctly "recognizes" the years.

For example:
平成10 >> 1998
平成11 >> 1998
平成12 >> 1998
平成13 >> 1998

Starting to see a pattern here? Well, I am.

The same issue arises with:
IT戦略本部 >> IT Strategic HQ

But it doesn't with 1月 (January).

So there's no discernible pattern of MT/WB's incompetence. In the case of years, I initially believed the problem to be related to the placement of the Japanese before the numerals. But when IT Strategic HQ failed as well, I began to have my doubts, since the order is reversed. Of course, this could be a difference between numerals and letters, but that isn't a particularly satisfying answer either.
On the other hand, when I thought of the numerals in the Japanese year notation as placeables that WB just couldn't comprehend because of their apparent non-correlation with the MT termbase, I was disappointed in the programming failure but at least the problem made sense. However, by this logic the "1" in 1月 (January) would also be a placeable, and should be equally confusing -- unless, of course, the answer lies in the fact that "January" has no numerals whatsoever while both "1998" and "2000" do. In other words, the numerals in the English could be the culprits.

In any case, this is a major, major annoyance that ought to have been dealt with by Trados 6. It's amazing to me that more Japanese translators aren't howling about this one -- but that makes me worry that it's just me and that I'm missing some obvious tweak.

Please, please, please help me! I've been annoyed by this for years now!!

Thank you,
Nathan
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:42
Japanese to English
Bothers me, too... Apr 13, 2007

...but I've been too lazy to ask.

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about other Asian languages? Apr 13, 2007

I wonder if anyone could tell me whether this is a problem in other Asian languages, particularly Chinese and Korean (which share at least some orthographical similarities to Japanese).

I guess I should contact SDL support on this one, but maybe that's where I'm too lazy...

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:42
Japanese to English
Have you tried the Yahoo group? Apr 14, 2007

Hi Nathan,

I can't offer you a solution, but have you tried the Yahoo Trados Users group?
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/
Description
A forum for users of Trados Workbench and other Trados products (MultiTerm, WinAlign, etc.). A place to discuss your experiences with TW and to request help with any problems you may encounter. This mailing list has
... See more
Hi Nathan,

I can't offer you a solution, but have you tried the Yahoo Trados Users group?
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/
Description
A forum for users of Trados Workbench and other Trados products (MultiTerm, WinAlign, etc.). A place to discuss your experiences with TW and to request help with any problems you may encounter. This mailing list has no connection whatsoever with Trados GmbH. It is entirely unofficial.

This list has some active members that translate into/out of Japanese, and the list is also monitored by SDL staff, fwiw.
(Is it Trados 6 you have, or a more recent version?)
You may also be able to find a solution by searching the archived messages there...
HTH a little

Kathy
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 14, 2007

Thanks for the reference, Kathy.

I'll take a look at the Yahoo groups and post any interesting findings here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failure to recognize Japanese terms with mixed orthography (MT7)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »