Thread poster: I_CH
I_CH
I_CH  Identity Verified

Local time: 15:16
German to Italian
+ ...
Dec 23, 2010

Hello to everybody
I genelly use ApSIC to run searches on multiple glossaries for Western European languages.

However I have found out that ApSIC does not work for Modern Greek (UTF-8 coding).

Does anybody know of any solutions?

Many thanks in advance
Alberto

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
BOM? Dec 23, 2010

Does it display the Greek text correctly?
If not, you should try using files with a BOM. I had encoding problems with UTF-8 tab delimited files, and it turns out Xbench needs the BOM (byte order mark) to be there.
If you're using tab delimited txt files, open them in Notepad and save them. Notepad will add a BOM automatically.
Other than that, I would contact Apsic. When I had issues, I contacted them and they were happy to help.
Also, update to 2.8 build 396 if you haven
... See more
Does it display the Greek text correctly?
If not, you should try using files with a BOM. I had encoding problems with UTF-8 tab delimited files, and it turns out Xbench needs the BOM (byte order mark) to be there.
If you're using tab delimited txt files, open them in Notepad and save them. Notepad will add a BOM automatically.
Other than that, I would contact Apsic. When I had issues, I contacted them and they were happy to help.
Also, update to 2.8 build 396 if you haven't. Some earlier builds had Unicode bugs that were fixed later.
Collapse

I_CH
I_CH  Identity Verified

German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no BOM Dec 23, 2010

hello FarkasAndras
thank you for your suggestion.

I have reopen the .txt file (generated by Excel 2003) and resaved in Notepad but it doesn't work:

1. If I search for Latin characters, ApSIC finds then but doesnt shows the Greek characters as ??a??p or the like

2. If I search for Greek characters, ApSIC convert them to ??a??p and does not find anything.

I have just written to the software company and waiting for their answe
... See more
hello FarkasAndras

I have reopen the .txt file (generated by Excel 2003) and resaved in Notepad but it doesn't work:

1. If I search for Latin characters, ApSIC finds then but doesnt shows the Greek characters as ??a??p or the like

2. If I search for Greek characters, ApSIC convert them to ??a??p and does not find anything.

I have just written to the software company and waiting for their answer.

So far the only utility that works fine with UTF-8 is Aba Search & Replace

KR
Alberto

PS: I wonder why technology is so complicated... wasn't it meant to simplify our lives?
Collapse

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Maybe... Dec 23, 2010

Alberto Sala wrote:

hello FarkasAndras

I have just written to the software company and waiting for their answer.

So far the only utility that works fine with UTF-8 is Aba Search & Replace

KR
Alberto

PS: I wonder why technology is so complicated... wasn't it meant to simplify our lives?

Those look quite a bit like the issue I was having.
Just to be sure, did you exit and restart Xbench after resaving the file? It reads everything to memory and doesn't reload the files unless you tell it to. So if the file changes on disk after it's been loaded to xbench, the changes won't take effect until you restart/reload.
You could also double check that files have a BOM. Notepad is supposed to add one, but strange things do happen. Either compare file sizes (adding a BOM should add 3 bytes) or use Notepad++. Or just post your file and I'll send it back BOMed.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Another option Dec 23, 2010

Try this (last post):
http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/180997-how_to_use_apsic_xbench_fpr_sdlx_file.html

Gabriel Baum
Gabriel Baum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:16
Spanish to English
Searching strings in ApSIC Xbench 2.9 Jul 9, 2013

I could find "saltear" in my glossary but not "sartén". It took me a while to realize that I couldn't find any word with an accented character.
I followed Andras' advice and opened my glossary in Notepad and saved it (Saved As) over itself. I started Xbench anew, removed all files and dropped my newly saved glossary into the projects/properties box.
Lo and behold, all words were findable!
Many thanks,
Gabriel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching strings in Modern Greek / UTF-8 glossaries

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »