Thread poster: Volodymyr Kukharenko
Raúl Casanova
Raúl Casanova  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:14
English to Spanish
In memoriam
Hi Vladimir, Nov 25, 2011

A very interesting tool, indeed. I just had the time to perform a simple test in the following conditions: Windows XP, office 2007, short (42 segments) bilingual file produced by Wordfast Clasic.
The program compared the files flawlessly, showed the results pane with changes highlighted in blue (1st draft) and red (corrected file) and the report was produced in Excel with no trouble at all.
Thanks for sharing. It looks as ver promising in performance, and it is very easy to use. I wi
... See more
A very interesting tool, indeed. I just had the time to perform a simple test in the following conditions: Windows XP, office 2007, short (42 segments) bilingual file produced by Wordfast Clasic.
The program compared the files flawlessly, showed the results pane with changes highlighted in blue (1st draft) and red (corrected file) and the report was produced in Excel with no trouble at all.
Thanks for sharing. It looks as ver promising in performance, and it is very easy to use. I will perform further checks with files produced under Trados 2007 Suite, and if possible, under Trados Studio 2009 and I'll post the results. I will also try the feasibility of converting TMs to Glossaries, something that really caught my eyes.
Collapse

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 23:14
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
xliff, Trados uncleaned Nov 29, 2011

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

Definitely will try it. Any chance it will support External View files from DVX2 in any of the available formats? (xliff, Trados uncleaned, rtf table)

Hi Wolfgang,

We'll be adding formats as we get requests. Te only thing is that it should not be binary format, i.e. our tool should be able to "see" the text in the file, everything else is just a question of time.

It currently supports xliff, Trados uncleaned and Translation Workspace uncleaned, at least it worked with the files we tested.

We'll research what we can do with DVX2 as well.

Btw, we released updated version with some fixes yesterday.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Vladimir Dec 7, 2011

I have actually been using ChangeTracker quite a bit lately, to provide my clients with change reports about changes to files in large projects where they want me to deliver projects with zillions of files in batches, but also want me to keep track of any changes I might make to already 'finished' files as I go along. Thanks a lot for this! It is a godsend.

memoQ can track changes now, but it can't export them into such a nice XML file I can send to my clients...

... See more
I have actually been using ChangeTracker quite a bit lately, to provide my clients with change reports about changes to files in large projects where they want me to deliver projects with zillions of files in batches, but also want me to keep track of any changes I might make to already 'finished' files as I go along. Thanks a lot for this! It is a godsend.

memoQ can track changes now, but it can't export them into such a nice XML file I can send to my clients...

Any chance it will be able to import normal Word documents too any time soon? Not just uncleaned ones?

Michael
Collapse

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Michael Dec 8, 2011

@Michael: Thank you for your feedback, that's great to know that the tool can be of use outside our translation team.

Speaking about comparing monolingual files, to tell the truth, I was thinking myself about it a while ago. I've just had a discussion on this, and yes, it is technically possible, so we've put it into our requests list. So it is rather a question of how soon we can implement such functionality.
<
... See more
@Michael: Thank you for your feedback, that's great to know that the tool can be of use outside our translation team.

Speaking about comparing monolingual files, to tell the truth, I was thinking myself about it a while ago. I've just had a discussion on this, and yes, it is technically possible, so we've put it into our requests list. So it is rather a question of how soon we can implement such functionality.

We have already added sdlxliff format and file explorer to the ChangeTracker as requested by some users, the new version will be released soon.

Also, speaking about memoQ... Our translation team has not worked with it before, and that's one of the reasons why we did not support that format from the beginning. Now we'd like to add it, but we need some files to experiment. So if you can send it via my profile, that would be great.
Collapse

Daniel Jimenez
Daniel Jimenez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:14
English to Spanish
Thanks Vladimir, it was very useful for me Dec 16, 2011

Thanks Vladimir, it was very useful for me, as sometimes I have to proofread or check bilingual trados files in Word, and filling the reports manually takes a lot of time. It's perfect for me!Thanks again!

oDesk
oDesk
Local time: 16:14
Thanks Daniel Dec 16, 2011

Thank you for your feedback.

The case you described is one of the reasons why we decided to develop it from the beginning.

By the way, we are currently working on the new version, and

- we've added file explorer wo make it easier to add the files. It will allow even to add folders with subfolders all in one click
- we've upgraded the processing of "forgotten" segments. E.g. when one of the versions contains unsegmented text (e.g. the translator simp
... See more
Thank you for your feedback.

The case you described is one of the reasons why we decided to develop it from the beginning.

By the way, we are currently working on the new version, and

- we've added file explorer wo make it easier to add the files. It will allow even to add folders with subfolders all in one click
- we've upgraded the processing of "forgotten" segments. E.g. when one of the versions contains unsegmented text (e.g. the translator simply forgot to ttranslate and the reviewer translated it anew) ot split/glued segments
- fixes of some minor bugs reported.
- working on adding new formats

We'll release version 1.0 in by 15th January, and we will notify about it in newsletter (you can subscribe to it in the lower right corner of http://www.change-tracker.com/)
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
I can't get it to work Dec 16, 2011

There's some add-on in my MS Word setup that is blocking it. I get a dialogue box that says: "The global template normal.dot is already open as an add-in program," and then the tracking changes application tells me "The message filter indicated that the application is busy."

I eliminated one add-in, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Vladimir Dec 16, 2011

Vladimir Kukharenko wrote:

Also, speaking about memoQ... Our translation team has not worked with it before, and that's one of the reasons why we did not support that format from the beginning. Now we'd like to add it, but we need some files to experiment. So if you can send it via my profile, that would be great.

I made a very short test file, in Dutch, then translated it in memoQ and exported it in the various memoQ bilingual export file formats. I then edited/reviewed the translation in memoQ and exported the same set of examples again. I will email you the files!

Michael

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nice tool Dec 17, 2011

I sometimes get Wordfast files to proofread and it used to be a pain not being able to keep track of the changes, your tool is great, I can just grab the two txml files and get the comparison, very useful, thanks.

I also wanted to mention one possible improvement, when I look at the report created on screen (before creating the xml or xlsx report) it shows the segment ID number, however this is not included in the final report, this is would be quite useful, as it would allow me to
... See more
I sometimes get Wordfast files to proofread and it used to be a pain not being able to keep track of the changes, your tool is great, I can just grab the two txml files and get the comparison, very useful, thanks.

I also wanted to mention one possible improvement, when I look at the report created on screen (before creating the xml or xlsx report) it shows the segment ID number, however this is not included in the final report, this is would be quite useful, as it would allow me to send the report and the person receiving it would know which segment it refers to.

[Edited at 2011-12-17 19:22 GMT]
Collapse

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Try closing word Dec 19, 2011

Susan Welsh wrote:

There's some add-on in my MS Word setup that is blocking it. I get a dialogue box that says: "The global template normal.dot is already open as an add-in program," and then the tracking changes application tells me "The message filter indicated that the application is busy."

Any suggestions?

Hi Susan,

When you compare .doc files with ChangeTracker, Word is launched in background, and the text is copied from there. So I guess problems might appear when Word is already launched. I may suggest closing Word before comparing the translated files. Please let me know if it helps.

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for suggestions Dec 19, 2011

Michael, Alex,

I've added your suggestions and files to our development plan. I think they may be implemented in next release.

In case if you have any other suggestions, feel free to post them to http://www.change-tracker.com/en/contacts.html

Kind regards,
Vladimir

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
add-ons... Dec 19, 2011

Susan Welsh wrote:

Any suggestions?

I've just discussed this with our software engineer. It may be that some add-on (e.g. even Trados8.dot) may be blocking access. For the time being the solution is to switch it off. In next versions we will work on removing this problem.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
add-ons Dec 19, 2011

Vladimir Kukharenko wrote:
I've just discussed this with our software engineer. It may be that some add-on (e.g. even Trados8.dot) may be blocking access. For the time being the solution is to switch it off. In next versions we will work on removing this problem.

I did not have Word on when trying this. I have now un-checked all my add-ons, leaving only NORMAL.dot , and it is still happening as before. I get four error dialogue boxes piled on top of each other:
1st, on the top: You cannot close Microsoft Word because a dialog box is open. Click OK, switch to Word, and close the dialog box. [I have to turn on Word to do this. There is now no dialog box there.]
2nd: The global template, NORMAL.dot, is already open as an add-in program.
3rd - same as 1st
4th - same as 2nd

I'm quite mystified. This is on Win XP with Word 2003 and on another computer, with Win XP on a Virtual Machine, with Word 2007.

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We'll do our best to fix this Dec 20, 2011

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the detailed description.
I think when ChangeTracker launches Word in the background, the obstructing add-on is launched as well because it is in automatic launch list. So I guess removing from that list may solve the issue, but of course it's not quite convenient, so I think we can solve that problem with add-ons in next versions, I'll put it into our requests list.

Kind regards,
Vladimir

almy
almy  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Virus detected Mar 8, 2012

Hi Vladimir,

I tried to test this tool but while downloading it, the message of a virus appeared, smth about generic (I am not an expert in viruses) and my computer didn't allow me to install it.

Can you check if it is Ok now please?

Thanks!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tool for tracking changes in bilingual files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »