Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 23:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 5, 2012

Has anyone tried the Perfect It program advertised on proz.com? I purchased this program recently and have found it very useful, both as a translator/editor and as the managing editor of a scientific journal. It picks up all kinds of things that may be overlooked in proofreading, such as: inconsistent capitalizing or hyphenating of the same terms, inconsistent capitalizing in bulletted or numbered lists, unexplained acronyms, numbers that should be spelled out, missing table headings, and many o... See more
Has anyone tried the Perfect It program advertised on proz.com? I purchased this program recently and have found it very useful, both as a translator/editor and as the managing editor of a scientific journal. It picks up all kinds of things that may be overlooked in proofreading, such as: inconsistent capitalizing or hyphenating of the same terms, inconsistent capitalizing in bulletted or numbered lists, unexplained acronyms, numbers that should be spelled out, missing table headings, and many other things. I have run several translations and journal articles through this program and I was amazed at the errors it picked up, even after proofreading both on-screen and in print. At the end, it offers the options of, for example, generating a table of abbreviations, updating the table of contents, and a report of all the changes made, just to name a few. Highly recommended.Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:06
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Will try it Sep 5, 2012

Thank you for this. I had seen the advertisement, but then closed the page and the ad didn't show up again so I was unable to track it down. It looks very useful.

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Local time: 07:06
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I use it too Sep 5, 2012

I mainly do scientific proofreading/editing work (monolingual) and it's great - well worth it for the price. Like Tina says, it's very useful for catching inconsistencies. There's a 30 day trial period too.

Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Me too! Sep 5, 2012

I also find it great for proofreading, especially for long documents such as annual reports which are full of lists and tables.

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:06
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Thank you Sep 5, 2012

It's very interesting. Thank you for advice.
The spelling and other rules are US or UK bound?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:06
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I own and use PerfectIt too. Sep 5, 2012

It is indeed a great way to catch sneaky errors.

I would also suggest taking a look at Verifika (http://e-verifika.com/ ). Overkill perhaps, but when I want a text to be Perfect (which I of course always do;), or, more realistically, when I have the time, I run them both.

Whereas PerfectIt focuses on consistency within one language, Verifika is a QA tool that checks bilingual files.
... See more
It is indeed a great way to catch sneaky errors.

I would also suggest taking a look at Verifika (http://e-verifika.com/ ). Overkill perhaps, but when I want a text to be Perfect (which I of course always do;), or, more realistically, when I have the time, I run them both.

Whereas PerfectIt focuses on consistency within one language, Verifika is a QA tool that checks bilingual files.

Michael
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't think it matters Sep 5, 2012

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

It's very interesting. Thank you for advice.
The spelling and other rules are US or UK bound?

So far I have worked with US, UK and Canadian documents but keep in mind that this program is not designed to replace spell-check - you have to use both. It's aim is to pick up all kinds of inconsistencies that spell-check does not, such as common typos, punctuation, capitalization, hyphenation and much more. Imagine that in a document you say Russian Federation the first time and Russian federation the next time, then the program will show you those two terms, ask you which one you prefer, and then fixes that throughout the document. Or you can check the individual instances first before you give the command to 'fix' each one separately.

Irene McClure
Irene McClure
French to English
+ ...
Link? Sep 6, 2012

Thanks Tina for mentioning this, it indeed sounds interesting.

Could you possibly provide a link to the ad on Proz? I haven't seen it and can't seem to track it down.

Cheers,

Irene

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe Tina has a better link... Sep 6, 2012

Irene McClure wrote:

Could you possibly provide a link to the ad on Proz? I haven't seen it and can't seem to track it down.

But I did find this: http://www.proz.com/PerfectIt

Irene McClure
Irene McClure
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Sep 6, 2012

Thanks Kevin, that's really helpful!

Irene

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Direct link Sep 6, 2012

This link takes you directly to their website: http://www.intelligentediting.com/

Watching the demo video was what convinced me to try it.

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Standard or Pro? Sep 14, 2012

There seems to be a big difference in price ($59 v $99) but its not clear what the difference is

Scrub that, this link sets out the differences, Pro would seem to be worth the extra

http://www.intelligentediting.com/features_matrix.aspx

[Edited at 2012-09-14 10:53 GMT]

Joshua Wolfe
Joshua Wolfe  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Perfect It style sheet Sep 26, 2012

I use PerfectIt and find it useful. In fact, so useful, I have contributed a stylesheet that automatically checks for US & UK spelling and converts to the preferred Canadian style. I know everyone but the Canadians are thinking "Who cares" and the Canadians are thinking -- "but middle-of-the-road Canadians accept both US and UK spellings". Not officially true: the Canadian government recommends a particular style (e.g., fibre, localize, travelled) and suggests use of Gage Canadian dictionary or ... See more
I use PerfectIt and find it useful. In fact, so useful, I have contributed a stylesheet that automatically checks for US & UK spelling and converts to the preferred Canadian style. I know everyone but the Canadians are thinking "Who cares" and the Canadians are thinking -- "but middle-of-the-road Canadians accept both US and UK spellings". Not officially true: the Canadian government recommends a particular style (e.g., fibre, localize, travelled) and suggests use of Gage Canadian dictionary or Oxford Canadian.

With this free add-on, Perfect It will check for thousands of words (storey vs. story; tonne vs. ton) and make sure you are truly Canadian.

More info at
http://www.intelligentediting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=353
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Hold on Sep 26, 2012

Joshua Wolfe wrote:

-- "but middle-of-the-road Canadians accept both US and UK spellings".

No, no, no, we celebrate Labour Day (not Labor Day) but we never buy tyres (only tires).

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
Should I really buy now? Sep 26, 2012

I'm a bit confused. The link http://www.proz.com/PerfectIt reads:

Buy Now

Prices start from just $49 USD for the Standard Edition and $79 for the Pro Edition, with discounts available for multiple licenses and company-wide deployment.

When I click on "Buy PerfectIt now", according to the order information the price is 99.00 USD minus 5 %. <
... See more
I'm a bit confused. The link http://www.proz.com/PerfectIt reads:

Buy Now

Prices start from just $49 USD for the Standard Edition and $79 for the Pro Edition, with discounts available for multiple licenses and company-wide deployment.

When I click on "Buy PerfectIt now", according to the order information the price is 99.00 USD minus 5 %.

Should I really buy now?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advantages of using Perfect It

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »