Using Adobe Reader with Windows 8
Thread poster: lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

Feb 5, 2013

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and Word 2013. I tried to use Adobe Reader to fill in some pdf forms (which worked before with XP/Word 2003), but now it doesn't. I can read and print the pdfs, but not make changes or additions.

Can someone please help me.

Thank you in advance.

lindaellen

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:38
French to English
+ ...
Not all forms are fillable Feb 5, 2013

You can only use Reader to fill forms that have been designed as fillable, which aren't too many. You may have just a printable form to be filled by hand. You can, however, fill it on a computer in full Acrobat.

lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Anton Feb 5, 2013

I was using fillable forms. I started working on them with my old XP and Word 2003, then I downloaded the new software and wanted to continue, but could not. I also downloaded the pdfs again, thinking if I started over with new pdfs it might work, but it didn't help.

I tried searching the Adobe forums and Windows forums, but had no luck.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Probably the Reader is the culprit Feb 6, 2013

lindaellen wrote:

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and Word 2013. I tried to use Adobe Reader to fill in some pdf forms

I'm rather sure that this is a problem of the Reader or its (new) settings and that Windows & Word have nothing to do with this problem.

Note: Windows 8 includes a Microsoft pdf reader which might start automatically upon clicking a pdf file. Are you sure that you are using the latest Adobe Reader instead of the Windows Reader?

Anne Flaemig
Anne Flaemig  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
PDF in Word 2013 Feb 6, 2013

Shouldn't Word 2013 be able to handle pdf now? That's what Microsoft announced and I found a reference to it here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2023741/how-to-edit-pdfs-in-word-2013.html

Good luck,
Anne

lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Rolf and Anne Feb 6, 2013

When I try to open the file with Word, I get a message that there is too much graphic for Word to open it. I am now looking at other pdf readers, including XChange Viewer.

The German PC site chip.de has some comparisons that I will investigate.

Thanks for your help.

lindaellen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Adobe Reader with Windows 8

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »