Software to scan and convert documents to an editable format - suggestions needed
Thread poster: L. Oyuela
L. Oyuela
L. Oyuela
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2013

I am looking for the best software to scan and convert documents (like Birth Certificates) to an editing format where I can keep all the original images. Thank you!

Maya M Fourioti
Maya M Fourioti  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:25
Member (2010)
English to Greek
+ ...
ABBYY Fine reader Feb 25, 2013

This is the one I use and it always works.
I hope it helps you,too

Mohamed Mahmoud
Mohamed Mahmoud  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:25
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader 11 Feb 25, 2013

You can use ABBYY FineReader 11

It is a very good as far as my experience.

Nitro is also fine but I prefer ABBYY when it is bout conversion.

Kind colleges will help you with their expertise
also...

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
This is going to start to look like Abbyy's marketing dept.. but Feb 25, 2013

I also use Abbyy and I'm happy with it. It cost about 60-odd Euros to purchase the Pro version as far as I can remember and I got that back with the first job I got through in .pdf format. It's a great little product and to me, essential for a translator.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Previous forum discussions Feb 25, 2013

This has already been discussed a great deal in other threads.

I too find Abbyy to be far and away the best at doing this job; however, I did find that the paid version was pretty expensive for my occasional requirements, so I make do with the rather restricted version that came bundled with my scanner/printer; it works fine, but has a great many limitations as to use.

I believe there are free programs out there, though so far I haven't actually been able to find one...
... See more
This has already been discussed a great deal in other threads.

I too find Abbyy to be far and away the best at doing this job; however, I did find that the paid version was pretty expensive for my occasional requirements, so I make do with the rather restricted version that came bundled with my scanner/printer; it works fine, but has a great many limitations as to use.

I believe there are free programs out there, though so far I haven't actually been able to find one... if anyone knows of one, I'd be interested to try it...
Collapse

L. Oyuela
L. Oyuela
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Abby Feb 25, 2013

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:25
Finnish to French
ABBYY via Wordfast Anywhere Feb 28, 2013

Tony M wrote:
I too find Abbyy to be far and away the best at doing this job; however, I did find that the paid version was pretty expensive for my occasional requirements,

If price is an issue, you can get access to ABBYY technology for free via Wordfast Anywhere (www.freetm.com), as explained here:

http://youtu.be/ZwYgFbWzpFQ?hd=1

"Under the hood", the PDF conversion of Wordfast Anywhere for graphics-based PDF's is ABBYY (there's also a converter from BCL Technologies for text-based PDF's).

What you can do with FineReader, but not Wordfast Anywhere, is manually defined areas to be recognized, as explained here:

http://youtu.be/su1suaAFCwI?hd=1

and here:

http://youtu.be/1kBNQFF48qw?hd=1

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Adobe Acrobat XI Pro Feb 28, 2013

The latest version of Acrobat makes it possible to convert PDF files into editable Word, Excel and Power Point files far better than anything I have seen ABBYY do.

I must admit, though, that I have not tested it on documents that were not originally made in a Microsoft Office program.

Not a cheap choice, but then the program has many other useful functions, too.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Files from previous Acrobat versions? Feb 28, 2013

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

The latest version of Acrobat makes it possible to convert PDF files into editable Word, Excel and Power Point files far better than anything I have seen ABBYY do.

The sticking point for translators who get .pdf files from clients:
Are the new features available even for .pdf files that were created by previous versions of Acrobat? AFAIK no ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software to scan and convert documents to an editable format - suggestions needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »