Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OmegaT and Virtaal Mar 9, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:
The results will be in the translation the split second you move to the very segment. ... Sam can tell us if a similar solution is feasible in free CAT tools like OmegaT and Virtaal.

Yes, it's true that most CAT tools can search glossaries and display the results very quickly, but they usually only do so for files that are loaded into the CAT tool. The reason I mentioned Wordfast Classic in a previous post is that WFC has a separate, on-demand feature for dictionaries that run in separate programs.

Virtaal's support for glossaries/dictionaries is very underdeveloped, and it will only show results for words that are in the current segment of a file that is loaded in it. The same applies to OmegaT -- it only shows results for the current segment of a loaded file. What makes OmegaT a little interesting is that it has two panes for glossary matches, namely a "glossary" pane that shows matches from TBX and tab delimited glossaries, and a "dictionary" pane that shoes matches from certain StarDict and DSL formatted glossaries. The most basic form of the DSL format is so simple that you can convert any simple glossary to that format.

So, while it is true that CAT tools can look up words in a glossary, I don't think using a CAT tool for glossary look up is an elegant solution, unless you're actually using that CAT tool for the translation work as well.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On desktop searches Mar 9, 2013

Danesh wrote:
Two things I'm worried about desktop search tools are: 1. the length of search time, and 2. If they're able to detect the very diverse formats of different dictionaries/glossaries.

With an indexed search, it takes several minutes or up to several hours to create the index for the first time, but after that, searches are instantaneous. So even if you have hundreds of megabytes of data, an indexed search tool will give you a result from it within a second or two.

With non-indexed searches, it obviously takes longer to perform a search. Some such search tools perform multiple searches at the same time, to increas search speed. I can really recommend Agent Ransack if you want a non-indexed search.

For indexed searching, I personally use Redtree's Wilbur, which is free and GPL. Wilbur is a fairly old program, though, and it can't index more than about 1 GB of data per index. But if you're going to use it for dictionary searching, I don't think you'll have that much data anyway. I have about 20 dictionaries in pure plaintext format, and the total amount of data is less than 200 MB.

I created separate indexes for different types of searches. For example, I have a "medical" index that searches only my medical and chemical dictionaries, and I have a "technical" index that searches only my chemical, mining and engineering dictionaries. I have five different synonym/antonym dictionaries, and I search them all in one go, in an instant, using a "thesaurus" index.

A problem with these tools is that they don't necessarily support your file formats. Wilbur really only supports plaintext, but it also has limited support for DOC, RTF, HTML and editable PDF files. Dictionaries that come with their own software will not be in any of these formats, however.

It's a pity Google's desktop search utility is no longer developed. Copernic is not bad but it is cumbersome to configure. If there are other indexed search tools that people know about, please tell us. Software995 has a searcher that works fine but it shows only a list of files as the search result, and what you really want is a program that will give you a preview of the file, with the search term highlighted. With Ava Find, you can only select a whole drive to indexed. Hulbee can create only one index (but you can specify which files), but the preview function of search results always shows your search term as the first word in the context clip (not very useful). I seem to recall that DocFetcher (free and opensource) is a good program but it always shows the entire file in the preview (whereas in Wilbur I can choose to show only lines that contain the search term).

[Edited at 2013-03-09 17:21 GMT]

Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 11:05
English to Persian (Farsi)
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 10, 2013

Dear friends,
Thank you very much indeed for sharing your knowledge generously. I'm really learning from you.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:35
Finnish to French
Xbench Mar 11, 2013

ApSIC Xbench is not open source (not sure what practical benefit there would be, unless you have programming skills to modify the software), but it supports a wide range of glossary formats. There's a free version (2.9) and a paid one (3.0). The free version does most of what the paid one does, when it comes to managing and searching terminology.

Here are a couple of videos I made abo
... See more
ApSIC Xbench is not open source (not sure what practical benefit there would be, unless you have programming skills to modify the software), but it supports a wide range of glossary formats. There's a free version (2.9) and a paid one (3.0). The free version does most of what the paid one does, when it comes to managing and searching terminology.

Here are a couple of videos I made about the Apple glossaries:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/12/15/export-apple-glossaries-to-tmx-with-apsic-xbench-3-0/

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/12/17/export-apple-glossaries-to-tmx-with-apsic-xbench-2-9/
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Archivarius 3000 Mar 11, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
It's a pity Google's desktop search utility is no longer developed. Copernic is not bad but it is cumbersome to configure. If there are other indexed search tools that people know about, please tell us.

You may want to give Archivarius 3000 a try:

http://www.likasoft.com/document-search/

It's quite similar to dtSearch (for instance, it has a segmentation function that allows it to handle really large structured files like XML, TMX etc.), but it's much cheaper.

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
@ you all Mar 11, 2013

I think we've been here before (probably on another forum/thread), but no one seems to be able to suggest anything that works as well and simply as Windows Explorer in Windows XP (with the option 'Files CONTAINING xxxxx'). Having "upgraded" to Windows 7, I sorely miss this simple yet powerful functionality.
I simply want to find a word/phrase in ANY FILE in ANY FOLDER or set of subfolders (not in the file name itself, which Windows 7 Explorer annoyingly does) and in ANY FILE FORMAT. Window
... See more
I think we've been here before (probably on another forum/thread), but no one seems to be able to suggest anything that works as well and simply as Windows Explorer in Windows XP (with the option 'Files CONTAINING xxxxx'). Having "upgraded" to Windows 7, I sorely miss this simple yet powerful functionality.
I simply want to find a word/phrase in ANY FILE in ANY FOLDER or set of subfolders (not in the file name itself, which Windows 7 Explorer annoyingly does) and in ANY FILE FORMAT. Windows Explorer in XP did this perfectly. Windows Explorer in Windows 7 doesn't (or includes occurrences in file names, which I find a waste of time and space).

If anyone knows of a tool (even paid-for) that replicates this feature of Windows Explorer (XP) without having to enter a whole load of formats or file extensions or run a time-consuming indexing procedure, I'd dearly like to know, i.e. click a folder in Windows (7) Explorer then Search then "Find all files CONTAINING xxx"
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
dtSearch Mar 11, 2013

wotswot wrote:
I simply want to find a word/phrase in ANY FILE in ANY FOLDER or set of subfolders (not in the file name itself, which Windows 7 Explorer annoyingly does) and in ANY FILE FORMAT.

dtSearch does that, and a lot more (it also highlights search results in PDF's in its own viewer, which no other software does). A fully-functional 30-day trial is available.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Agent Ransack Mar 11, 2013

wotswot wrote:
Having "upgraded" to Windows 7, I sorely miss this simple yet powerful functionality.

Install Agent Ransack (freeware). Then either run it from the shortcut, or right-click any folder to limit the search to that folder. All right-click commands that work in Windows Explorer also work in Agent Ransack's results list.

It has limited preview capabilities (e.g. it shows HTML as plain text), but it is really not bad for a free program. It can't search the files inside zip files, but it can show you anything inside the zip file that matches your query (e.g. file names). It does have an MS Office parser that works on both old and new Office formats, and it claims to handle PDF (but I can't get that to work).

For anyone who downgrades from e.g. Windows XP to Windows 7, this forum is a must-read:
http://www.sevenforums.com/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking suggestions on free, open source terminology management software

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »