Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Seeking suggestions on free, open source terminology management software
Thread poster: Danesh
Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 18:52
English to Persian (Farsi)
Mar 5, 2013

What is the best free, preferably open source, terminology management software to store all dictionaries/glossaries in one database?
Thanks a million for your comments in advance.

Manuela Ribecai
Manuela Ribecai  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 17:22
English to French
+ ...
What you want to do exactly? Mar 7, 2013

What features would you need?

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
The featuress needed Mar 8, 2013

Manuela Ribecai wrote:

What features would you need?

Dear Manuela,
Thank you. I need all the dictionaries and glossaries on my computer in just one place. Consulting all of them one by one is very time-consuming and tedious.
Thank a million in advance for your comments.

Manuela Ribecai
Manuela Ribecai  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
I don't see Mar 8, 2013

Are you already using a program? Do you have a paid program in mind? It would help me better understand what you want.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Fraught with difficulty Mar 8, 2013

Danesh wrote:
What is the best free, preferably open source, terminology management software to store all dictionaries/glossaries in one database? ... I need all the dictionaries and glossaries on my computer in just one place. Consulting all of them one by one is very time-consuming and tedious.

The problem with what you're asking is that such a program would need all of the dictionary data to be in the same or similar format, and different dictionary programs store its data in different formats. Another problem is that the dictionary data from various dictionary programs may be in a locked format that can only be queried by each individual dictionary program itself, and not by an outside program. Even if you could perform a search in those dictionaries from within your own program, the results may still have to be displayed in the dictionaries' own programs.

Some dictionary programs can be controlled using the keyboard only (in other words, even though you may use your mouse, it is not required that you use your mouse). With such programs, it may be possible to write something that sends a query to the dictionary whenever you invoke your program, but I have found that some such dictionary programs can be very difficult to "program".

Wordfast Classic has a feature by which you can program key strokes for various dictionary programs. As far as I'm aware, this feature is available even in the earliest, free versions, and if you want to use a more modern version of Wordfast Classic, you can use the dictionary feature without having to purchaase a Wordfast licence.

If you can somehow convert all your dictionary files into plain text files, then you can index them using a desktop indexer that offers a preview function (I use an old program called RedTree Wilbur).

Guillaume Chareyron
Guillaume Chareyron  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Desktop search tool? Mar 8, 2013

Hi,

What about going for a desktop search tool which indexes the files on your PC?
That's for me the best solultion to search all the data in almost every format. I use dtSearch for it, but there are other tools.
This way, you have a central place in which you can run a search from every program you are using.

Cheers
Guillaume

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Recommended dictionary and terminology software Mar 8, 2013

I have used a desktop search tool a long time, but found it too time consuming after a while, as i type fast. If you want this option I recommend Copernicus or the toll from Read iris.

There are some good solutions for searching in all your dictionaries at once, but for that some previous work has to be done depending on which terminology tool you want to use, like preparing your database for import or formatting.

Here are some solutions I recommend:

Anylexic
... See more
I have used a desktop search tool a long time, but found it too time consuming after a while, as i type fast. If you want this option I recommend Copernicus or the toll from Read iris.

There are some good solutions for searching in all your dictionaries at once, but for that some previous work has to be done depending on which terminology tool you want to use, like preparing your database for import or formatting.

Here are some solutions I recommend:

Anylexic

You can buy Anylexic from AIT, After you have imported your dictionaries, the dictionary can search in many different dictionaries at once, after you have entered the term. It allows importing and exporting words from Excel (XLX Only!), TXT and their specific file ending. I do not recommend to import TXT tab or comma separated tables.

Importing of big data files is somehow slow in my opinion,

As long as you do not import or use a huge amount of data, it works fine and is stable, but slows down immensely as soon as you start filling it with more and more data. Anyway, a good tool in certain circumstances of the translation process, as it allows the user to choose in which dics he wants to look up the term. Price: 79 EUR.

See Link: www.anylex.com

For importing: you can use only xlx files. and create a subject specific dictionary with notes.

TLterm from Tschwanje

Or you could use TLterm from Tschwanje, which is a software designed for translators dictionary It allows importing TXT Importing TXT tab or comma separated tables, as well as exporting your personal dictionaries together with notes, subject and so on. It contains a word integration tool which shows the translation of word you are cursor is currently positioned. Its practical, and allows adding and editing the terms, while the software is running. It is a user friendly tool, designed with good experience of what translators need, and practical, as you do not need to copy paste the word back and forth into your dictionary, which is in my opinion extremely practical. the software costs currently about 120 EUR. I highly recommended this tool.

LINK: http://www.tshwanedje.com

Simple dictionary applications (free (GNU)

This GNU-applications allow users to use free bilingual dictionaries (downloaded)offline as well as his personal dictionaries. All dictionaries have to be UTF-8 files with one translation per line and words separated by tabulators. Hundreds of free bilingual dictionaries can be created and downloaded from the Universal dictionary system( currently interconnects 75 languages)

at http://www.dicts.info/sda.php
Collapse

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
FREE, preferably open-source, program Mar 9, 2013

Dear Manuela,
Thanks. I'm not already using such a program. For the time being, I have to consult every dictionary/glossary one by one. I have no a paid program in mind, but the FREE, preferably open-source, ones.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:22
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Your CAT tool should do the trick Mar 9, 2013

I think Sam is right. He usually is.

If we from now on for convenience define a "dictionary" as a database that comes with its own software (OED, Duden, Van Dale, Larousse, what have you), you can forget about it to search them and have the results displayed simultaneously. I tried to "hack" some of them, and either I failed, or the result was of a format that was completely useless without spending ages to re-format it.

On the other hand we have "glossaries" (or "lexic
... See more
I think Sam is right. He usually is.

If we from now on for convenience define a "dictionary" as a database that comes with its own software (OED, Duden, Van Dale, Larousse, what have you), you can forget about it to search them and have the results displayed simultaneously. I tried to "hack" some of them, and either I failed, or the result was of a format that was completely useless without spending ages to re-format it.

On the other hand we have "glossaries" (or "lexicons") that usually are in "searchable" format, like *xls or (tab or comma delimited) *.txt. Now they can be searched by indexing software like dtSearch that Sam mentioned, or SpotInside that I use. Sometimes.

A far better way, I think, is let your CAT tool do the work. Most - if not all - CAT tools can handle glossaries. And some good CAT tools are free, or cost less than indexing software. Now you can either merge all your glossaries into one big glossary, or - better if possible - "attach" them separately to your project. And by far the best option is when your CAT tool can treat the attached glossaries differently, if it allows you to assign priorities to the various glossaries.

This can have the additional benefit of using them to auto-assemble, where the match with the highest priority will be inserted. This is for the lazy ones, like

Hans
Collapse

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Mar 9, 2013

Dear Samuel
Thanks a lot. You're quite right.

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
search time AND formats Mar 9, 2013

Dear Guillaume,
Thanks a lot. I'll try your smart suggestion. Two things I'm worried about desktop search tools are: 1. the length of search time, and 2. If they're able to detect the very diverse formats of different dictionaries/glossaries.

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 9, 2013

Dear Tjasa,
Thank you very much indeed for your help.

Guillaume Chareyron
France
German to French
+ ...
sorry, not free Mar 9, 2013

Hi,
I didn't see you want something free and open source.

But anyway, as you asked two questions, I'll answer them, in case of...

Two things I'm worried about desktop search tools are: 1. the length of search time, and 2. If they're able to detect the very diverse formats of different dictionaries/glossaries.

Well, free tools can be indeed quite slow, but dtSearch is definitely not to be compared with Copernic for example (which I had been using for
... See more
Hi,
I didn't see you want something free and open source.

But anyway, as you asked two questions, I'll answer them, in case of...

Two things I'm worried about desktop search tools are: 1. the length of search time, and 2. If they're able to detect the very diverse formats of different dictionaries/glossaries.

Well, free tools can be indeed quite slow, but dtSearch is definitely not to be compared with Copernic for example (which I had been using for a couple of months): it is really fast, and, probably the most important, you can build as many indexes as you want, and there are very good search options. I use it every day and couldn't work anymore without it. Doing one single search, I go through all my bitexts, my glossaries (txt, excel, pdf, word, access databases), ebooks, indexed websites, email, translation memories, or only one or several of them in two seconds.
The good thing here is that everything you have on your computer can be indexed, there is no special rules. If you find a glossary on the internet for example, you can just save it as it is on your computer, no need to convert anything.
For big TM, you can define field so that every single segment is indexed as a document, for even faster results.
For what I am concerned, I prefer not to have too many things in one CAT-Tool, cause you just never know how long you'll be using it: I began with Trados, then worked quite a long time with wordfast, now I am using memoQ as well as DVX and Studio sometimes. Having a "central place" independant of the cat tool(s) you are using is very important and profitable I think.

I must precise: I have no interest whatsoever in the dtSearch software, I talk about it, because that's the one I know, but there are maybe other tools in this segment.

Guillaume
Collapse

Guillaume Chareyron
France
German to French
+ ...
@ Tjasa Mar 9, 2013

Hi Tjasa

Tjasa Kuerpick wrote:

I have used a desktop search tool a long time, but found it too time consuming after a while, as i type fast.

What do you exactly mean? I don't understand the relation between typing fast and using a desktop search tool...

Cheers
Guillaume

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking suggestions on free, open source terminology management software

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »