Wanted: advice on recording the spoken version of a translation.
Thread poster: Audrey Pate
Audrey Pate
Audrey Pate
Italy
Local time: 21:34
Italian to English
May 23, 2013

I have been asked to translate a text and also provide a voice recording of the finished piece to help the customer understand how it should be pronounced.

Can anyone recommend the best way to do this? I don't own any recording equipment at all, so it will have to be laptop-based.

Thanks

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Free/pre-installed software May 23, 2013

I can't speak for mac's, but most windows come with some free voice recording software. It's not great, but it might work for what you need.

It would be in your start menu>all programs>accessories>voice recorder.

The other thing that you will need is a microphone, again your computer might have one built in, especially if you have a webcam built into it. Again, it's not great, but it might work.

Hope that helps ^_^

Audrey Pate
Audrey Pate
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tristan May 23, 2013

Wow, was it really that simple? I just tried it out and you're right: the quality is not great but that's probably because my microphone is built-in and not very good. I think I'll buy a decent one tomorrow and try again. Thank you!

claude-andrew
claude-andrew  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Try Audacity May 24, 2013

Yes, Audrey, do follow the advice already given.
The Audacity audio recording and processing software (free) is very easy to use and you can easily edit out any mistakes, introduce pauses, in fact do what you want. I use it all the time to record radio programs - you can record for several hours. NB Audacity files are huge, they should be converted to mp3 then deleted.
It's here:
... See more
Yes, Audrey, do follow the advice already given.
The Audacity audio recording and processing software (free) is very easy to use and you can easily edit out any mistakes, introduce pauses, in fact do what you want. I use it all the time to record radio programs - you can record for several hours. NB Audacity files are huge, they should be converted to mp3 then deleted.
It's here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
You need to download another application called Lame if you want to make mp3 files. It's all explained on the Audacity site.
But it's true that the quality of built-in recording facilities is pretty good.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wanted: advice on recording the spoken version of a translation.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »