junior.K
junior.K
Cote D'ivoire
Local time: 18:55
English to French
+ ...
Jan 15, 2016

Hi all,

How do you count the words contained on a website for translation? Are there some softwares to make it more accurate and easy for the translator ?

Best regards,

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 19:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
One that doesn't work.... Jan 16, 2016

This came up some time ago and a very useful site was mentioned which I use occasionally, but now I can't find where I have the reference stored.

So I've tried the obvious thing, which is to google it, and so far I've found a dead link - webworcount.com - and another site which when tested produced an obviously incorrect result. That o
... See more
This came up some time ago and a very useful site was mentioned which I use occasionally, but now I can't find where I have the reference stored.

So I've tried the obvious thing, which is to google it, and so far I've found a dead link - webworcount.com - and another site which when tested produced an obviously incorrect result. That one is https://wordcounter.net/website-word-count - can't say I'd recommend it therefore!

Let's keep looking.
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't do it manually! Jan 16, 2016

PS Years ago, ignorant of the tools available, I asked my secretary to count the words on a website in order to produce a quote. She obviously didn't look at the map of the web, and left loads of pages out when doing the calculation, so my client got one of the best bargains in the history of translating.... there's a moral tale there!

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This one seems to work OK Jan 16, 2016

http://words.contentor.com/

I just tried it out on my own website, and got distracted looking at pages that need editing!

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:55
English to German
Thank you! Jan 16, 2016

Great, your first link seems to work for me, but not the second.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website Words counting

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »