Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:01
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jun 24, 2019

Sebastián Moya wrote:

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hello fellow ProZians,

In this topic I (and hopefully my colleagues that frequent this subforum) will try to answer all your questions about subtitling that you always wanted to ask but thought it didn't warrant a whole new topic.

Ask away!

I am a new participant in the Proz community and I am working on my first job through this platform.

I would like to consult the most experienced translators, how much they charge in USD for subtitling a video per minute from Spanish to English.

I would like to have a competitive price reference.

Hi Sebastián,

The rate would usually be around $6.00/min or more, depending on your experience, competence level, etc. However, working into your source language is generally not recommended and, seeing that your profile bio contains grammar errors (costumer?), I'd like to advice you against taking Spanish-to-English jobs — they could damage your reputation.

Sara Romero Mira

Jasmijn de Korte
Jasmijn de Korte
Netherlands
Local time: 10:01
Dutch
+ ...
Client-owned platforms Aug 29, 2019

Hello,

First of all, Thank you for opening this subforum

I am a (fairly new) subtitler EN-NL.
I've been working as a freelance subtitler for about a year now and I have solely worked with client-owned online subtitling software (such as Netflix).

Even though I am proficient in spot and EZtitles, i prefer to work in those "free" platforms.

Do you have any recommendations on
... See more
Hello,

I've been working as a freelance subtitler for about a year now and I have solely worked with client-owned online subtitling software (such as Netflix).

Even though I am proficient in spot and EZtitles, i prefer to work in those "free" platforms.

Do you have any recommendations on subtitling bureaus that also work with online software? The only one i really know of is Netflix.

And as for rates, what is the "regular" rate for subtitle translation for EN-NL

Thanks so much!

Kind regards,

Jasmijn de Korte
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 29, 2019

Jasmijn de Korte wrote:

Hello,

Do you have any recommendations on subtitling bureaus that also work with online software? The only one i really know of is Netflix.

And as for rates, what is the "regular" rate for subtitle translation for EN-NL

Thanks so much!

Kind regards,

Jasmijn de Korte

Hi Jasmijn,

Netflix isn't really a "subtitling bureau" — it's a SVOD giant. They don't subtitle anything in-house; instead, they use services of their preferred LSPs across the globe.

Now, as far as recommending subtitling companies that use proprietary subtitling tools, almost every large company does that nowadays — Deluxe, SDI, BTI, Zoo Digital, etc. You can try your luck with those.

Alba Hernández
Alba Hernández  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
First freelance job Aug 31, 2019

Hi,

Thanks for opening this subject. It`s been really helpful and interesting.

I'm trying to find my first job as a freelance subtitler. I have done some subtitling before, but nothing serious.
I am looking for experienced translators that would be willing to partner with me or be my mentor and guide me to find my first projects.

I would really appreciate some advice on this?

Thanks a lot...
See more
Hi,

I'm trying to find my first job as a freelance subtitler. I have done some subtitling before, but nothing serious.
I am looking for experienced translators that would be willing to partner with me or be my mentor and guide me to find my first projects.

Thanks a lot
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 31, 2019

Alba Hernández wrote:

Hi,

Thanks a lot

Hi Alba,

Starting out as a freelance subtitler has already been covered in this thread. As far as mentorship, you can create a mentor request via ProZ Exchange. Or maybe one of the forum-goers will volunteer

Best,
Max

mona elshazly
mona elshazly  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:01
Member (2016)
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
how to include the Srt file in the video Sep 2, 2019

Would you please tell me the best method to include the Srt file in the video?

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 2, 2019

mona elshazly wrote:

Would you please tell me the best method to include the Srt file in the video?

Hi Mona,

If you want to embed an SRT file into a video, you can use the program called Handbrake. Here's a video tutorial on embedding SRT subtitles in Handbrake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oore8rFa4g8

mona elshazly
mona elshazly  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:01
Member (2016)
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
is it a free tool Sep 2, 2019

Thank you, but is it a free tool? and is it of a good quality? is it better than VLC and hD converter?////

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 2, 2019

mona elshazly wrote:

Thank you, but is it a free tool? and is it of a good quality? is it better than VLC and hD converter?////

Yes, it is free and better for embedding SRT subtitles than these two tools

csilber
csilber
United States
Local time: 05:01
Chinese to English
Aegisub advice September 2019? Sep 24, 2019

A class I'm teaching right now (experimental!) is using Aegisub with the intention of subtitling into English and also Chinese, using Mac computers, including those with the latest OS. We've had trouble with Chinese characters appearing as question marks, but may have a solution for this. More troubling is an apparent incompatibility between Aegisub's zoom function and the latest MAC OS--works fine on older OS, but not the newest, and many students--and the classroom--appear (alas?) to have th... See more
A class I'm teaching right now (experimental!) is using Aegisub with the intention of subtitling into English and also Chinese, using Mac computers, including those with the latest OS. We've had trouble with Chinese characters appearing as question marks, but may have a solution for this. More troubling is an apparent incompatibility between Aegisub's zoom function and the latest MAC OS--works fine on older OS, but not the newest, and many students--and the classroom--appear (alas?) to have the newest.

Any advice? We are all raw beginners with subtitling software, including me. Plan A would be to get Aegisub to work, but Plan B would be another program. Free, open source, community support of course ideal--MAC compatible.

We are subtitling a feature length 1960s Chinese film into English, and then we will be subtitling some American TV from roughly the same period into Chinese.

Thanks in advance!

Cathy
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 25, 2019

csilber wrote:

A class I'm teaching right now (experimental!) is using Aegisub with the intention of subtitling into English and also Chinese, using Mac computers, including those with the latest OS. We've had trouble with Chinese characters appearing as question marks, but may have a solution for this. More troubling is an apparent incompatibility between Aegisub's zoom function and the latest MAC OS--works fine on older OS, but not the newest, and many students--and the classroom--appear (alas?) to have the newest.

Any advice? We are all raw beginners with subtitling software, including me. Plan A would be to get Aegisub to work, but Plan B would be another program. Free, open source, community support of course ideal--MAC compatible.

We are subtitling a feature length 1960s Chinese film into English, and then we will be subtitling some American TV from roughly the same period into Chinese.

Thanks in advance!

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

The first thing you should do is try Plorkyeran's latest trunk build here. If it doesn't fix your issue, you can contact Plorkyeran on Twitter (or elsewhere) and ask for help. If that fails as well, you can try Belle Nuit Subtitler, a discontinued professional subtitling tool that's now free to use.

Emanuela Ballo
Emanuela Ballo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
WincapsQ4 - help Sep 28, 2019

Hello,
my name is Emanuela and I'm starting to work in the industry.
During my studies I have always used free tools to subtitle, such as Visual Sub Sync, Subtitle Workshop and Aegisub. Now I've been asked to a test using a professional software: Wincaps Q4, but I have no idea how it works.
I scrolled through the guide in search of help but I am still not able to set correctly the time in and time out of a subtitle and when I play the video I can't see the subtitles appearing o
... See more
Hello,
During my studies I have always used free tools to subtitle, such as Visual Sub Sync, Subtitle Workshop and Aegisub. Now I've been asked to a test using a professional software: Wincaps Q4, but I have no idea how it works.
I scrolled through the guide in search of help but I am still not able to set correctly the time in and time out of a subtitle and when I play the video I can't see the subtitles appearing on the video but the one that I am currently on with the mouse.
Can you help me understand a little better how it work?

Thank you so much in advance,

Emanuela
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 28, 2019

Emanuela Ballo wrote:

Hello,
I scrolled through the guide in search of help but I am still not able to set correctly the time in and time out of a subtitle and when I play the video I can't see the subtitles appearing on the video but the one that I am currently on with the mouse.
Can you help me understand a little better how it work?

Thank you so much in advance,

Emanuela

Hi Emanuela,

If the comprehensive Reference Guide (Page 179) doesn't work for you, you can watch this video. It should answer your question.

Please let me know if this helps.

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Aegisub or Subtitle Workshop 6 Oct 21, 2019

Hi Max,

Thank you for starting this sub-forum!

An agency has contacted me for subtitling work. They use Monal 2008 Le. I am new to subtitling and can't seem to find a decent tutorial for Monal online. I was thinking of asking them to move to using Aegisub or Subtitle Workshop 6 - suggestions of yours from over four years ago.

Of the two, which would you recommend?

Thanks!
Anu

Edited to add:

I've found this list
... See more
Hi Max,

An agency has contacted me for subtitling work. They use Monal 2008 Le. I am new to subtitling and can't seem to find a decent tutorial for Monal online. I was thinking of asking them to move to using Aegisub or Subtitle Workshop 6 - suggestions of yours from over four years ago.

Thanks!
Anu

Edited to add:

I've found this list of programs. Which would you recommend?
https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/subtitle/subtitle-maker.html

[Edited at 2019-10-21 10:39 GMT]
Collapse

Josephine Cassar

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Oct 21, 2019

Anu Mukharji-Gorski wrote:

Hi Max,

Thanks!
Anu

Hi Anu,

Oof, I've never heard a good word about Monal Le. People seem to dislike it.

Of the two, I would actually recommend neither. Subtitle Edit has become the leader in the "free subtitling software for PC" segment, so it'd probably serve you best.

Josephine Cassar

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »