Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:33
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Mar 7, 2020

ITsubber wrote:
Hi, Max,

sorry for the awful amount of time that's passed.
Thank you so much for your answer, I really appreciated your help.

I've checked a couple of other works that some colleagues made with the very same program, and the frame offset problem seems not to be there. I suppose there's some way to make the rendering program do the roundings the same way Aegisub does.

I'm used to that workflow and the amount of subtitling jobs I do isn't worth buying a professional tool, so I wouldn't want to change unless absolutely necessary. I'll see what I can do.

Thank you again for your help!

Hi ITsubber,

Please try to update your video codecs or install ones that dependably work (e.g. K-Lite Codec Pack).

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still going after all these years, Max!! Mar 9, 2020

I remember when you started this some people thought it was a bit of a joke, but upwards of 135,000 views is a Wow Factor in my book.

Well done!

[Edited at 2020-03-09 10:24 GMT]

Max Deryagin
Josephine Cassar
Zibow Retailleau
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Upcharge for delivering video with subtitles? Mar 14, 2020

I have a client that normally sends me translation tasks that is now getting into subtitling. They asked me for my rate and then asked if that was for the video with the subtitles already inserted? Up until this point I was used to simply delivering .srt files when it came to Subtitling services.

Through this thread, I learned this is made possible through Handbrake. Should delivering a video with subtitles already included require an upcharge? Or is it something that takes a minim
... See more
I have a client that normally sends me translation tasks that is now getting into subtitling. They asked me for my rate and then asked if that was for the video with the subtitles already inserted? Up until this point I was used to simply delivering .srt files when it came to Subtitling services.

Through this thread, I learned this is made possible through Handbrake. Should delivering a video with subtitles already included require an upcharge? Or is it something that takes a minimum amount of time and shouldn't really make me increase my rate?
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Mar 14, 2020

DarwinE wrote:

Through this thread, I learned this is made possible through Handbrake. Should delivering a video with subtitles already included require an upcharge? Or is it something that takes a minimum amount of time and shouldn't really make me increase my rate?

Hi DarwinE,

I do charge more in such cases, because larger videos can take hours to encode, and during that time your computer's CPU is loaded to 100%, so you can't do anything else that's CPU-heavy.

DarwinE

Nguyen Ngoc
Nguyen Ngoc  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 18:33
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Please help me determine my subtitling rate. Mar 14, 2020

Hi. Nice to meet you
I'm a newbie to Proz, I'm struggling with my subtitling rate per minute. My language pair is Vietnamese-English.
I have 2 years of experience doing this in many fields, such as Sales and Marketing, Business, Sports, Films....
I have referred to some of the forum to determine the reasonable price per minute subtitle, but there're so many opinions from 2$ - 15$.
I want to know your opinion on this topic.
Thanks a lot and have a good day.
N
... See more
Hi. Nice to meet you
I'm a newbie to Proz, I'm struggling with my subtitling rate per minute. My language pair is Vietnamese-English.
I have 2 years of experience doing this in many fields, such as Sales and Marketing, Business, Sports, Films....
I have referred to some of the forum to determine the reasonable price per minute subtitle, but there're so many opinions from 2$ - 15$.
Ngoc
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Mar 14, 2020

Nguyen Ngoc wrote:

Hi. Nice to meet you
Ngoc

Hi Ngoc,

I'm afraid I can't help you here. You'll have to either ask another subtitler working in your language pair or calculate the rate yourself based on how many minutes you can subtitle in one hour and how much you want to make per hour of work.

DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Max! Mar 17, 2020

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hi DarwinE,

I do charge more in such cases, because larger videos can take hours to encode, and during that time your computer's CPU is loaded to 100%, so you can't do anything else that's CPU-heavy.

I appreciate your response, I'll consider what you told me when I offer a quote. Thanks again!

Max Deryagin

TanDer (X)
TanDer (X)
Israel
Local time: 13:33
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Math expressions May 5, 2020

Hello again, Max

Is there a way to write math formulas, complex expressions in subtitles?
A way to incorporate LaTeX, or something similar to symbols in Word, to present a beautiful formula on a screen?

My guess is There isn't. But perhaps...
Maybe certain formats that support that.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- May 5, 2020

Tatiana Derbin wrote:

Hello again, Max

Is there a way to write math formulas, complex expressions in subtitles?
A way to incorporate LaTeX, or something similar to symbols in Word, to present a beautiful formula on a screen?

My guess is There isn't. But perhaps...
Maybe certain formats that support that.

Hi Tatiana,

Hmm, let me think...

Well, if you plan on using embedded subtitles, perhaps the easiest (but still quite laborious) way to add math formulas to your subs would be by inserting them as images in a video editor. It goes like this:

1. Launch the video editor (e.g. DaVinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere).
2. Import the video file.
3. Import the subtitle file.
4. Import your formula images generated here (right-click on the image and click "Save image as" to download it).
5. Add the video to the timeline, then the subs on top, then the formula images (here's how you do it in DaVinci Resolve or in Adobe Premiere).
6. Add spaces to the subtitle text, so that the formulas are where they should be.
7. Render the video.

(Or you could make whole subtitles into images and insert them the same way.)

Now, if you plan on using closed subtitles, things get much more complicated. One approach here is to use advanced ASS drawing in Aegisub. What you can do is open your downloaded formula images in Adobe Illustrator, use the AI2ASS plugin to convert them into code and then paste that code into Aegisub. Alternatively, you (probably) could use LaTeXML for any XML-based subtitle file format (e.g. SMPTE-TT), but that requires quite a bit of programming knowledge.

TanDer (X)
TanDer (X)
Israel
Local time: 13:33
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Thanks May 5, 2020

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hi Tatiana,

Hmm, let me think...

Well, if you plan on using embedded subtitles, perhaps the easiest (but still quite laborious) way to add math formulas to your subs would be by inserting them as images in a video editor. It goes like this:

1. Launch the video editor (e.g. DaVinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere).
2. Import the video file.
3. Import the subtitle file.
4. Import your formula images generated here (right-click on the image and click "Save image as" to download it).
5. Add the video to the timeline, then the subs on top, then the formula images (here's how you do it in DaVinci Resolve or in Adobe Premiere).
6. Add spaces to the subtitle text, so that the formulas are where they should be.
7. Render the video.

(Or you could make whole subtitles into images and insert them the same way.)

Now, if you plan on using closed subtitles, things get much more complicated. One approach here is to use advanced ASS drawing in Aegisub. What you can do is open your downloaded formula images in Adobe Illustrator, use the AI2ASS plugin to convert them into code and then paste that code into Aegisub. Alternatively, you (probably) could use LaTeXML for any XML-based subtitle file format (e.g. SMPTE-TT), but that requires quite a bit of programming knowledge.

Amazing, thank you.

Max Deryagin

Valmir Martins da Silva Junior
Valmir Martins da Silva Junior
Brazil
Local time: 08:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Vendors for Disney+ and Amazon May 8, 2020

Hello, Max, I should say firstly this thread of yours is sooooo incredible, thank you!

Well, I'd like to know if you have any words on who is/are the vendor(s) for Disney+ and Amazon regarding subtitling. Netflix is very transparent with their Preferred Vendors Program, but I know nothing about Amazon and Disney. Do you happen to know?

Thanks a lot!

Max Deryagin

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- May 8, 2020

Valmir Martins da Silva Junior wrote:

Hello, Max, I should say firstly this thread of yours is sooooo incredible, thank you!

Well, I'd like to know if you have any words on who is/are the vendor(s) for Disney+ and Amazon regarding subtitling. Netflix is very transparent with their Preferred Vendors Program, but I know nothing about Amazon and Disney. Do you happen to know?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Valmir,

Thanks for your kind words

Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video are quite secretive, but if I recall correctly, ZOO Digital is servicing both. Other than that, not sure.

Renato Dechichi
Renato Dechichi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Trouble with stl file Jul 16, 2020

Hi, everyone!

I have one .stl file to work with and I managed to open it in Subtitle Edit. The thing is I cannot get any text to show up in SE's video preview window neither in VLC alongside the video it pertains to. The client needs it back in stl format so converting is out of the question, I guess. Can someone please tell me how I can get this stl subtitle file to actually display some text anywhere? Thanks in advance!

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jul 16, 2020

Renato Dechichi wrote:

Hi, everyone!

I have one .stl file to work with and I managed to open it in Subtitle Edit. The thing is I cannot get any text to show up in SE's video preview window neither in VLC alongside the video it pertains to. The client needs it back in stl format so converting is out of the question, I guess. Can someone please tell me how I can get this stl subtitle file to actually display some text anywhere? Thanks in advance!

Hi Renato,

I'm afraid I cannot reproduce your issue; on my end subtitle text shows up correctly in SE's preview window, regardless of what video engine I choose in the settings. Chances are either the file itself was encoded incorrectly or (more likely) there's an issue with video codecs on your system. If you're using Windows, you can install the K-Lite Codec Pack and see if that helps.

Renato Dechichi
Renato Dechichi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Still no success but... Jul 16, 2020

Max Deryagin wrote:

Renato Dechichi wrote:

Hi, everyone!

Hi Renato,

I'm afraid I cannot reproduce your issue; on my end subtitle text shows up correctly in SE's preview window, regardless of what video engine I choose in the settings. Chances are either the file itself was encoded incorrectly or (more likely) there's an issue with video codecs on your system. If you're using Windows, you can install the K-Lite Codec Pack and see if that helps.

Hi Max, how are you? Thanks for such a precise response! As it turns out, it seems my issue was caused due to corrupt timecoding. I'll try to get a corrected file and reopen it with Subtitle Edit to see what happens. Nevertheless, I thank you for all your assistance with my issue and to everyone with this topic. Thank you and take care!

Max Deryagin

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »