Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Sneha Gupta
Sneha Gupta
India
Local time: 10:04
German to English
+ ...
Multilingual subtiteling possibilities Jul 1, 2015

Is there a free software program I can download and use to learn subtitling? If there are options to type in various languages simultaneously?

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:34
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Jul 1, 2015

sneha gupta wrote:

Is there a free software program I can download and use to learn subtitling? If there are options to type in various languages simultaneously?

Hi Sneha,

The first question has already been answered in this thread. The second question escapes my understanding — could you please rephrase it?

tastycomm
tastycomm  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:34
Member (2013)
French to Italian
+ ...
Subtitling standards Sep 1, 2015

Hi,
I'm trying to pass a subtitling test EN>IT for Netflix and the team is definitely great, 'cos they gave me the opportunity to re-take the test twice, already, but still... My subtitling standards don't comply with theirs. I tried to search the net for info on the subject, but... for instance, if the standard frame is 32 characters, the test they gave me contained always more than 36 characters. ?.?
What am I not understanding here?

[Edited at 2015-09-01 16:47 GMT]

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Basics... Sep 1, 2015

nevediluna wrote:
if the standard frame is 32 characters, the test they gave me contained always more than 36 characters.

Mmm, I'm not sure I get what you mean (or am I afraid I do?), but the number of characters you are allowed to use depends on the duration of the subtitle. The rule is: 1 character per 2 frames. So if your subtitle stays 1 second (=24/25 frames) on the screen, you have (more or less) 12 characters available for your text. Etc., etc. If you don't stick (as close as possible) to that rule, people won't have enough time to read what you wrote while watching the images. This (and a few other things) is the basics of subtitling.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 1, 2015

nevediluna wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to pass a subtitling test EN>IT for Netflix and the team is definitely great, 'cos they gave me the opportunity to re-take the test twice, already, but still... My subtitling standards don't comply with theirs. I tried to search the net for info on the subject, but... for instance, if the standard frame is 32 characters, the test they gave me contained always more than 36 characters. ?.?
What am I not understanding here?

[Edited at 2015-09-01 16:47 GMT]

Hi nevediluna,

The row character count in the source subtitles is irrelevant — what matters is that the target subtitles comply with the specification. The Netflix Timed Text Style Guide states that for Italian subtitles the row character limit is 42.

Hope this helps.

CaroJenk
CaroJenk
France
English to French
prices in France Oct 1, 2015

Hi there,
I am a student and I am currently researching subtitling prices in France.
Subtitling (translation) on the screen only?
Placing time codes on the screen + translation?
Do you invoice per subtitle or per minute? Any other information I would need to know about this?
Thanks to all who can help me in my research.
Caroline.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Oct 1, 2015

CaroJenk wrote:

Hi there,
I am a student and I am currently researching subtitling prices in France.
Subtitling (translation) on the screen only?
Placing time codes on the screen + translation?
Do you invoice per subtitle or per minute? Any other information I would need to know about this?
Thanks to all who can help me in my research.
Caroline.

Hi Caroline,

The rates depend on the language pair you're working in and your level of expertise. I don't think there are universally accepted, standard rates for these services in France.

Speaking of the invoicing thing, both per subtitle and per minute rates are commonly used.

In your case the best course of action would be to contact the guys from ATAA and ask them your questions: http://www.ataa.fr

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Great marketing move! Oct 1, 2015

Hi Max

Although I don't do subtitling, I have to admire you. "Ask me anything about subtitling", great marketing move, work it out. You are now the absolute subtitling expert on Proz. Well done!

PS) I really mean it as a compliment.

[Edited at 2015-10-01 21:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-10-01 21:47 GMT]

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Oct 1, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Hi Max

Although I don't do subtitling, I have to admire you. "Ask me anything about subtitling", great marketing move. You are now the absolute subtitling expert on Proz. Well done!

PS) I really mean it as a compliment.

[Edited at 2015-10-01 21:46 GMT]

Thanks, Robert.

This thread got me exactly zero work, but it's been fun all along

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Good luck Oct 1, 2015

Anja Brito
Anja Brito  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Monolingual video captioning/subtitling Nov 3, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hello fellow ProZians,

In this topic I (and hopefully my colleagues that frequent this subforum) will try to answer all your questions about subtitling that you always wanted to ask but thought it didn't warrant a whole new topic.

Ask away!

Hi Max,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge! While I was able to find sufficient information on subtitling/subtitle translation, I was wondering if you could shed some light on "monolingual video captioning/subtitling (transcription + time-coding)". What would be a typical output for this type of work, i.e. how long (on average) would it take to process 30 minutes of video? Looking forward to your feedback
Anja

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Depends Nov 3, 2015

On how fast a cuer and typer you are. I'd say about one hour for transcription + timecoding if it's not for the hard of hearing. If it's for the hard of hearing (SDH) you have to include all off-screen sounds so things get slower.

Anja Brito wrote:

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hello fellow ProZians,

In this topic I (and hopefully my colleagues that frequent this subforum) will try to answer all your questions about subtitling that you always wanted to ask but thought it didn't warrant a whole new topic.

Ask away!

Hi Max,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge! While I was able to find sufficient information on subtitling/subtitle translation, I was wondering if you could shed some light on "monolingual video captioning/subtitling (transcription + time-coding)". What would be a typical output for this type of work, i.e. how long (on average) would it take to process 30 minutes of video? Looking forward to your feedback
Anja

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Nov 3, 2015

Anja Brito wrote:

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hello fellow ProZians,

Ask away!

Hi Max,
Anja

Hi Anja,

The typical output varies from person to person and depends on your experience, the source material and the language.

It really can be anything for 30 minutes of footage — if you have some talk show with many people talking a mile a minute and interrupting each other all the time, the video is of poor quality and you work in a language full of homophones, it can take quite a bit of time to process half an hour of footage. Conversely, if it is a slow-paced Animal Planet documentary narrated by David Attenborough, it'll be a piece of cake.

So, to sum up, I don't think it is meaningful to talk about the average, because it all depends.

MarkRaishbrook
MarkRaishbrook
Portugal
Portuguese to English
Transcription and timing Nov 6, 2015

Hi Max,
Anja

I've been subtitling professionally for 20 years. The fastest I can transcribe and spot a non-stop talking documentary is approximately 15 minutes per minute of video . So, working flat out, 30 minutes of video would probably take me around five hours.

Alex Ossa

Ticiana Massi Grenga
Ticiana Massi Grenga  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:34
Member (2018)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Rates and classes Mar 13, 2016

Hi,

I have been working with translation/ subtitling since 2013. I had subtitling classes on a post-graduate program and then I attended two courses. As a translator, I am always looking for more and more to learn. I like the networking also. Do you know (and recommend) any courses online for subtitling? My first one was using SW, the second Genius and the third Subtitle Edit. I also used Aegisub sometimes.
And, could you give an idea of the rates of subtitling in US and/
... See more
Hi,

I have been working with translation/ subtitling since 2013. I had subtitling classes on a post-graduate program and then I attended two courses. As a translator, I am always looking for more and more to learn. I like the networking also. Do you know (and recommend) any courses online for subtitling? My first one was using SW, the second Genius and the third Subtitle Edit. I also used Aegisub sometimes.
And, could you give an idea of the rates of subtitling in US and/ or Europe? My pair is English-Portuguese. I understand it may be hard to talk about rates because it may vary with the language pair...

This post is very interesting.
Thank you!

[Edited at 2016-03-14 15:10 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »