Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
SDL Trados Studio 2021 is coming soon!
Thread poster: SDL Ian
SDL Ian
SDL Ian
Local time: 19:30
May 5, 2020

No constraints, no compromise: with SDL Trados Studio 2021 you will soon be able to choose exactly how, when and where you work. As well as offering you unparalleled flexibility, Studio 2021 will provide many new and exciting features to boost your productivity and personalize your experience.

• Work on any device with SDL Trados Live, our new integrated and secure cloud option

• Improved automation and QA

• More powerful search criteria and ... See more
No constraints, no compromise: with SDL Trados Studio 2021 you will soon be able to choose exactly how, when and where you work. As well as offering you unparalleled flexibility, Studio 2021 will provide many new and exciting features to boost your productivity and personalize your experience.

• Work on any device with SDL Trados Live, our new integrated and secure cloud option

• Improved automation and QA

• More powerful search criteria and more flexible display options

• Access the SDL Appstore and SDL Community directly inside Studio

Learn about this, and more, at our SDL Trados Studio 2021 preview page.
Collapse

Bridget Jean
ru3stemgali

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:30
English to Russian
In hope of having the Perfect Match feature for Freelance Plus version May 5, 2020

When SDL Trados Stidio 2019 was first released two years ago, SDL offered Autosuggest Creator for free in case of pre-order. What about this time?

[Edited at 2020-05-05 19:29 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Hmm May 5, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:
When SDL Trados Stidio 2019 was first released two years ago, SDL offered Autosuggest Creator for free in case of pre-order. What about this time?

Pre-ordering shaves €75 off the normal upgrade price, but I did not see any "extras".

Yes, I remember that... "Autosuggest Creator"... it was included in my 2019 purchase, I believe, but... where is it? I've never used it.

Angie Garbarino
bris97

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Pre-order freebies May 5, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
where is it? I've never used it.

The feature is available from the Welcome ribbon, Create AutoSuggest Dictionary button. If you bought 2019 other than by pre-order, this button is greyed out.
If I'm honest, I do not care if anybody used it or not. I did.

And what I am more interested in is if there is any chance for freelancers to use the Perfect Match feature without buying Pro version that is times more expensive.
"Flexible display options" is good indeed, but not interesting at all...

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:30
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How about 2019 May 5, 2020

I missed out on the 2019 version, because everybody said it is not worth the trouble. 2017 is fine for me, I really will not work on any other device than my laptop.

Josephine Cassar
Joe France
Stepan Konev
Angie Garbarino
bris97

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Dubious advantages May 5, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I really will not work on any other device than my laptop.

Totally agree. Usually such bulleted lists of advantages are supposed to attract users and they include the most appealing features. Is it access to SDL community and ability to work on my smartphone, when in traffic jam, the key advantages of the new version? God...
*But I still hope Ian will reply my question before it is carried away*

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
One advantage (maybe) May 6, 2020

They are also going into the cloud, so you can work from any computer, regardsless of your operating system.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Cloud May 6, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
They are also going into the cloud, so you can work from any computer, regardless of your operating system.

The meaning of the word "cloud" continues to evolve, I see.

We'll have to wait and see what Trados means by "cloud", but I suspect they mean that your files will (optionally) be stored on Trados' servers (presumably you would not be able to choose to store these files on your own server, or on what is commonly known as "cloud storage" services). It is unclear if you would be able to use the "cloud" directly from within the desktop client (it is implied in the product preview PDF that you can use the cloud without using a browser, but only implied). There doesn't seem to be any indication that you'd be able to use the browser-based client on local storage.

I wonder which other non-browser CAT tools offer users the ability to run with projects or project files on a remote server, or which of them offer a browser-based variant (I mean, for freelance translators, not agencies). I know you can store TMs (and glossaries?) on Wordfast Anywhere and then connect to them via the offline versions of Wordfast Classic and Pro. OmegaT has a "Team Projects" feature in which the source files, TMs and glossaries are stored/shared live via a version control server that anyone can set up (although it requires a bit of technical expertise to set it up the first time). There used to be a browser-based version of OmegaT (called Boltran) but it is no longer available. It is my understanding that various CAT tools can connect to MyMemory TMs (which may be personal TMs accessibly only by translators with the TM's credentials).

MemoQ has a service called MemoQwebtrans which integrates with certain MemoQ projects and which offers a bare-bones browser-based client, but this is not available to freelancers. Way back in the old days, Idiom Worldserver had a full-fledged browser-based client that worked very much the same as the desktop client, but it was not available to freelancers. Some online CAT systems offer a stripped-down desktop client, e.g. Memsource and TWS. The agency that owns Wordfast (you know who they are) have a browser-based version of Wordfast Pro 5 available for their own translators.

[Edited at 2020-05-06 10:33 GMT]

Teplocteur
Teplocteur  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why is it a 'stripped-down' desktop client? May 6, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Some online CAT systems offer a stripped-down desktop client, e.g. Memsource and TWS.
[Edited at 2020-05-06 10:33 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Neyle May 6, 2020

Neyle wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Some online CAT systems offer a stripped-down desktop client, e.g. Memsource and TWS.

Why is it a 'stripped-down' desktop client?

It is my understanding that both TWS and Memsource's offline clients do not have all the features of the online tools, and can't be used to start projects from scratch. I may be wrong.

Teplocteur
Teplocteur  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
Memsource Editor for Desktop Overview May 7, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Neyle wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Why is it a 'stripped-down' desktop client?

It is my understanding that both TWS and Memsource's offline clients do not have all the features of the online tools, and can't be used to start projects from scratch. I may be wrong.

'Memsource Editor for Desktop is a lightweight CAT tool that can be installed on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux operating systems. While translating offline is supported, full functionality is provided when connected to Memsource.

The Memsource Editor for Desktop has been designed to work with MXLIFF files, which are downloaded from translation projects in Memsource.

The Memsource Editor automatically connects to appropriate translation memories, term bases, and/or machine translations in Memsource when logged in.'

Memsource Editor for Desktop Overview

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
What does it have to do with Trados? May 7, 2020

You cannot use Memsource Editor for Desktop for projects from scratch. Isn't it true? It is. That is why Samuel called it 'stripped-down' desktop client. Full functionality is when 70 file formats are supported as with Trados. Memsource Editor for Desktop supports 1 file format.
But why we should talk about Memsource here in a thread about Trados?

[Edited at 2020-05-07 14:01 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Wolfgang Schoene

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Please do not hijack the thread May 7, 2020

The topic is about new version of SDL Studio; if you like to discuss Memsource please use Memsource forum: https://www.proz.com/forum/1936

Please re-post there as all straying posts will be removed.

Thank you.

Wolfgang Schoene

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:30
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Why do I need to enter personal details? May 7, 2020

This page wants me to enter my name, email, company and so on before I can download the preview brochure. Why? I am already a customer and already have an account, so you already have my details.

For all I know, signing up to this will likely just mean another mailing list from which I will need to extricate myself. This is self-defeating foolishness, and totally unnecessary. The outcome is simply that I am not going to bother downloading the brochure, which means I'm certainly not going to pre-order.

Please, please, try some joined-up thinking. Customers and potential customers want friction-free information. After all, it's you that are trying to sell me something, not the other way round.

Regards,
Dan

Wolfgang Schoene
Oliver Pekelharing
Maurits Meulenbelt
Renata von Koerber
René van Buuren
Lutz Plueckhahn
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
There is nothing more to say about Trados 2021 May 7, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:
But why we should talk about Memsource here in a thread about Trados?

We're talking about the position of Trados in the industry, with special reference to the new features of Trados. But haven't we've said all that can be said already? Trados 2021 has a brochure that mentions the features in a rosy way and a video that contains no information, and that is that, and all we can do now is speculate about the features.

Surely these are on-topic related questions: how have other CAT tools dealt with the same features that Trados have, are the new features of Trados the same or different from what is currently available, is it useful to upgrade to Trados in the light of similar features in other CAT tools, etc.

Dan Lucas wrote:
This page wants me to enter my name, email, company and so on before I can download the preview brochure. Why? I am already a customer and already have an account, so you already have my details.

This is how it always works with any product information. whitepaper etc. that you download from the Trados site. I don't think I've ever received spam from the Trados company. FWIW, the PDF is 5 pages long. Here, let me summarize it for you:

- More file types
- Better date/time/number recognition
- Better QA
- Better translation memory management

- More search and filtering options
- Can save sets of search settings

- Improved API
- "Better" performance, "simpler" way of working
- Access the AppStore directly from within Trados
- Access the SDL Community directly from within Trados (including asking questions)

- Cloud-based project management
- Cloud-based translation
- Projects can be started and completed fully online
- Switch "seamlessly" between online and offline
- Translate on either or both your computer and the cloud
- There's a (?) full-featured browser-based editor

[Edited at 2020-05-07 18:45 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Johannes Wuelk

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2021 is coming soon!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »