Hugues Roumier
France
Local time: 10:28
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
May 4, 2021

Hi there,

I can't figure out why I end up with a document in the source language when I "Generate target translation". Everything seems to go fine, no error shows up during the process, but when I check the alleged "target translation" document it's... in English instead of French!

Does anyone have a tip, a clue?

Thanks a lot,

H.R

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hugues May 4, 2021

How experienced are you in using Trados, Hugues?

Did you translate the file in a project or on its own? If in a project, which folders do you see in the project, and in which folder did you look for the translated file?

Christian Schaller
Christian Schaller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Not new May 4, 2021

This used to happen with certain Word documents years ago. It had to do with some sort of formatting, but I don't remember the exact details. One easy solution was to convert the Word file to .rtf, then import into Trados Studio for translation, export and save as .docx again.

Hugues Roumier
Hugues Roumier
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel May 4, 2021

I have more than 4 years of experience with Trados. I've always used this "generate target translation" tool and never had problems so far. The folder issue is pretty simple to figure out: once the conversion process is finished, SDL asks if you want to open the folder where the target translation is located; I click on "yes", open the folder, find the relevant file, open it, and it is in source language instead of target language.
I translated the project on its own.

@Chris
... See more
I have more than 4 years of experience with Trados. I've always used this "generate target translation" tool and never had problems so far. The folder issue is pretty simple to figure out: once the conversion process is finished, SDL asks if you want to open the folder where the target translation is located; I click on "yes", open the folder, find the relevant file, open it, and it is in source language instead of target language.
I translated the project on its own.

@Christian

I can't really re-import any file, as this is a 50k document already translated in Trados.
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:28
French to English
+ ...
Save As via F12 May 4, 2021

Hi Hugues,
Have you tried saving the file as target?

HTH,
Sandra

Hugues Roumier
Hugues Roumier
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Sandra & Kenneth May 4, 2021

Hi, thank you for your reply!

I've just tried "Save Target as", and the document is still in source language...

[Edited at 2021-05-04 12:05 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:28
English to Russian
Don't you get an error message like 'Dependency file not found'? May 4, 2021

Hugues Roumier wrote:
I can't really re-import any file, as this is a 50k document already translated in Trados.
Why not? Do you mean 50K documents? Or 50K what? If the former, then can you confirm that you have them all available in the source folder?
Also, did you try the batch task called 'Export files' with the 'Target version' option selected? It may give you some warning messages for you to spot the problem file(s).

[Edited at 2021-05-04 19:40 GMT]

Hugues Roumier
Hugues Roumier
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Stepan & @Christian May 5, 2021

Hi Stepan,

No, the "dependency file not found" issue is solved. This is different

Yes sorry, I meant a document with 50k words. I don't understand Christian Schaller's option, though. Convert the source document in .rtf, re-import it, use the TM to translate it automatically, and then export what? The target? The bilingual doc?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:28
English to Russian
Try Export files May 5, 2021

Hugues Roumier wrote:
I don't understand Christian Schaller's option, though. Convert the source document in .rtf, re-import it, use the TM to translate it automatically, and then export what? The target? The bilingual doc?
I assume Christian Schaller means you should open your docx file and save as rtf. This will kill all formatting that may cause the problem. And then re-import it. Also, it may happen because of images. You can try to remove all images. However both methods require re-importing.
Try Batch tasks > Export files / Target version first. If it ends up with error or warning message, read it to try to figure out the root cause.

Hugues Roumier
Hugues Roumier
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SOLVED May 5, 2021

Hi there,

Thank you very much, I converted the file in .rtf and it finally worked out! The TM took some time to translate the whole document (50k words), but then the "Generate target translation" tool was working okay.

So if it happens to anyone :
1° Browse for your source .docx document
2° convert it in .rtf
3° Re-import it in Trados
4° Let the TM do its job
5° Generate target translation

Stepan Konev

Christian Schaller
Christian Schaller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
yes May 5, 2021

Right, this is exactly what I meant. Of course you may lose some formatting on the way, so it might be good to do a comparison with the source file again after exporting the final translation.

sidlejinx
sidlejinx
Ukraine
Local time: 11:28
English to Russian
+ ...
The same problem May 12, 2021

I used to encounter the same problem multiple times. Most of the time, the target file contained some parts of untranslated text or was untranslated starting from a certain place. The above solution does not suit if the file contains formatting, pictures, tables etc.
I could not figure out what exactly the prolblem is. The only thing I understand is that it is because some formatting element triggers switching from the target text to the sourse one. I don't know what it is exactly because
... See more
I used to encounter the same problem multiple times. Most of the time, the target file contained some parts of untranslated text or was untranslated starting from a certain place. The above solution does not suit if the file contains formatting, pictures, tables etc.
I could not figure out what exactly the prolblem is. The only thing I understand is that it is because some formatting element triggers switching from the target text to the sourse one. I don't know what it is exactly because there was no suspicious formatting tags. Deleting a picture or a part of the text preceeding the target/source border in the source file and resubmitting it to SDL helped. Once the rest of the text is translated, you can insert the removed fragment manually.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL generates document in source language when I request in target language

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »