A novel lexicon for the novel coronavirus

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "A novel lexicon for the novel coronavirus".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Moreechika
Moreechika
Bangladesh
English to Bengali
+ ...
social distancing vs physical distancing Apr 2, 2020

I agree. The key idea in "social distancing" IS "physical distancing" in the context of Covid-19. At least that's my understanding. Then why not call a spade a spade using the literal phrase and not add any potential for confusion? In my country (Bangladesh), the authorities and the media have adopted the direct Bengali language translation of "social distancing". My feeling is, the underlying main message of the phrase is not yet hitting home with full clarity and effectiveness, and I suspect i... See more
I agree. The key idea in "social distancing" IS "physical distancing" in the context of Covid-19. At least that's my understanding. Then why not call a spade a spade using the literal phrase and not add any potential for confusion? In my country (Bangladesh), the authorities and the media have adopted the direct Bengali language translation of "social distancing". My feeling is, the underlying main message of the phrase is not yet hitting home with full clarity and effectiveness, and I suspect it leaves some degree of confusion in people's minds. We have a lockdown/shutdown here currently but with the provision for going to stores for emergency supplies. I can see in some areas people crowding or jostling in front of small stores (they are trying to hurry) without realizing that it is better to keep distance physically and be a little slow / late than jostle and go back home hurriedly. It looks like (it's only my guess) for these people "social distancing" means staying at home but perhaps not so much keeping a safe "physical" distance. If I am right then we should get rid of the phrase "Social Distancing" because it is or can be misleading and use the literal "Physical Distancing" instead.Collapse

Tatiana Moreira

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Arif Apr 2, 2020

That's exactly what the WHO has been saying lately.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/transcripts/who-audio-emergencies-coronavirus-press-conference-full-20mar2020.pdf?sfvrsn=1eafbff_0

Tatiana Moreira

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A novel lexicon for the novel coronavirus

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »